Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You could be looking at the Corbin asphalt track-( if it’s still there)
    Was in operation for many years- was there once 40 years ago- but can’t remember where in Corbin it was located.

The track address is 4001-KY 26, Corbin , Ky. Hwy 26 is a little S.E. Of downtown Corbin.

I hope he has quick local support for sure to get the track going and get some cashflow going through there. And from there I hope it races well enough to attract regional late model series such as Southern Nats, IronMan, Ultimate, SAS, CRUSA, Topless Outlaws, etc. I know nothing about the track other than what I’ve read in articles and seen on Facebook, but I agree they have fought through a tremendous amount of adversity to get the track to open, and I can’t help but to wish them nothing but the best.

Wendell Lewis spent the weekend at Talladega's Ice Bowl, talked to him for 3 days about this track. Electricity was an issue but they were going to get a "beast" of a generator. The county and local governments have not given them any grief and were welcoming. Wendell said it was going to be a long haul to get the track opened due to so much needed for a track truly being remote and out in the boondocks.

Give em time.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

Kentucky Lake used a big generator to power the property. Worked pretty well from what I remember.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    The track address is 4001-KY 26, Corbin , Ky. Hwy 26 is a little S.E. Of downtown Corbin.
    The track is 5.5 mile south southwest of Corbin, about a mile southwest of 4001-26 Corbin address.

Google Earth has a photo dated 2018, Actually the track looks like it has decent banking, but still yet I hear it's flat.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 08-24-2022 at 09:57 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Here is a video I found on the tracks Facebook page.

It shows you the track and around the facility. Looks like a decent track from the video.

https://www.facebook.com/james.helto...9865196728938/
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Interesting, seems like 1 and 2 have an odd shape. Wish he would have focused more on the track layout. Wish the guy the best.

All I can say is that I'm glad its a Friday night track. Seems everyone is wanting to open a track in KY and run on Saturdays and theres not a whole lot of cars to go around.

BufordJustice
    I am not saying you are wrong by any means on the “southwest” of Corbin part. When we visited the track - we were going south on I-75 and took the 2nd Corbin exit -then went east to Hwy.26. Turned at right at a market/store up the hill to the track. ( which would be going back westward). Just know it’s on the eastern side of interstate 75 & a long/steep road leading up the hill from Ky- 26.
    Really doesn’t matter southeast/southwest as long as folks can find it. I have been wrong many times in my life!

Looking at google maps : it is a little west of downtown Corbin- but definitely on the East side of I-75. Yep- I was wrong on the southeast/southwest part.
    Rayon’s Handi mart is the store where you turn up the hill on Ky-26 for track entrance road.

Spelling correction: Eaton’s Handi Mart

Reminds me of a smaller and flatter of the old version of brushcreek.

Was there a thunder mountain in Kentucky before? I know about thunder ridge in Prestonsburg that held a couple dtwc's.

Thunder ridge in Prestonburg was definitely a flat track- seems like it was originally built as a horse racing facility.
    ThunderMountain: I believe the owner has a business building/selling storage barns/sheds. Don’t know if they are still there or not- but he had several little buildings with covered front porches positioned outside of turns 3 & 4 for spectator suites. Definitely not an Eldora/Charlotte type fancy suite- but a unique idea none the less!

If you get off exit 25 and head west/southwest on 25W then you'll find the old Corbin asphalt track ..it's probably 3-5 miles on the right side of the road as i recall.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Reminds me of a smaller and flatter of the old version of brushcreek.

Was there a thunder mountain in Kentucky before? I know about thunder ridge in Prestonsburg that held a couple dtwc's.
    Thunder Mountain was near Olive Hill, KY. I remember going to a STARS race there.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Welcome to 4M Mr.Mustard. I see your new to the site. Hope you enjoy it
    Oh ! how refreshing it is to have new contributors on 4M ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    Oh ! how refreshing it is to have new contributors on 4M ! !
    Phil won't last long w this one either

Quote Originally Posted by old_wedge_nut View Post
    Thunder Mountain was near Olive Hill, KY. I remember going to a STARS race there.
    That's the one I was thinking of. I never did go to race there, my dad did. I remember him saying it was up on top of a mountain too.

It's hard to tell from the satellite view but the immediate area around the track looks fairly flat. The road up to it isn't exactly hauler friendly (just the lay of the land) but it doesn't appear to have the multi-level pitting like Bulls Gap which is a plus.