Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up New Track - Thunder Mountain Speedway in Corbin, Kentucky - 1/3 mile

New Track - Thunder Mountain Speedway in Corbin, Kentucky - 1/3 mile

Article below

https://outsidegroove.com/2022/08/th...pOgsXVxVnlO154
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Weird that the link mentions other tracks, in other states, named Thunder Mountain … but doesn’t mention the previous tracks — in KENTUCKY — with the same name lol. This has to be at least the 3rd or 4th in KY.

Oh well, we’ll try to get a look on our way up 75 to the Mecca in a couple weeks. Sounds like another kart track.

It’s been built for a couple years now. It’s out in no man’s land on top of a mountain. We were by there 2-3 years ago on our way home from Eldora. They were finishing up the concession building at that time. The track is basically a circle. Also: at that time the plans were to use generators for all electricity as there was no electrical service there.
    Our biggest question was how were the teams going to get their racing equipment up that steep mountain?
    It could have changed big time since we made our visit.

Thank you, foxfire. I think we’ll pass now.

The track is very flat. We'll see how it works out soon I guess.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

I wondered if this place was ever going to open the state has gave them a hard time they have some crazy laws in Kentucky that tha is why iits hard too sell a race track there.

Man, thought this track’s opening had completely died…hope they can make it work

He’s back!

With so many Thunder Mountain Speedways already around, you would think a new and different name might be in order. Hopefully this track gets up and running with some success.

Maybe they might change up a littebit to perhaps to " FULL BORE " or HAMMER DOWN " speedway ?{ But then FULL BORE might be a full bore if they run 18 heat races with 3 cars of different 4 banger classes } ! !

I think the 1/3 flat track will kill it. I can only assume he wanted to keep the speeds down. I hope Dennis makes it work. He is a super good guy, I raced open wheel modifieds with him back in the early 2000's in the south centeral/southeastern KY area.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mustard View Post
    I googled this and looks like its right in the middle of a subdivision. Hope everyone around there are race fans... Yeah fox, he is back... lol
    I have been to the track and it is not near a subdivision. Matter of fact the hillside views are very nice.Plenty of wildlife around.

I just find it on Google Maps. It’s shape is pretty strange. 3 and 4 are shaped like the botched shortening of WVMS.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    I think the 1/3 flat track will kill it. I can only assume he wanted to keep the speeds down. I hope Dennis makes it work. He is a super good guy, I raced open wheel modifieds with him back in the early 2000's in the south centeral/southeastern KY area.
    Yes he wanted it flat. Probably to keep speeds down and also much much easier track prep. Maybe insurance worries also.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Mr. mustard
    I don’t remember any subdivisions close to the track. ( I could be wrong) it’s not that far outside of Corbin- but it’s in a rural area and the best I remember the track is fairly isolated on top of a big hill Sunce I live in the East Tennessee Mountains: not sure if it would be considered a mountain or not- but they got the name Thunder Mountain from somewhere.
    My hats off to the owner who has fought thru adversity and stuck with his vision for this track. I hope he fills those 1,500 seats and has standing room only every Friday night. With all the recent track closures- he is a gusty guy- again I hope he succeeds with his venture. Hopefully the Corbin area drivers and fans will make it happen?
    Not sure what they did about electricity. It was going to cost a war pension to run electrical service to the track.
    Many people do not realize that Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap uses a generator for track lighting.

Where exactly is this place. I looked on maps and could not locate it

I googled this and looks like its right in the middle of a subdivision. Hope everyone around there are race fans... Yeah fox, he is back... lol
    Lets just hope it is not as well Good to have you back ! !

Thats a pretty out of round circle there, fox... 邏
    Welcome to 4M Mr.Mustard. I see your new to the site. Hope you enjoy it

Tnewton

It’s a few miles southeast of Corbin, Kentucky

It’s on the Eastern side of Corbin Mr. Mustard