Thread: not a shock guy

Default not a shock guy

My driver insists on leaving our rf shock on the car that has 350lbs of zero point when the track becomes a skating rink in the feature. Our shock builder will go to 100lbs-50lbs of zero point when the track goes black for many of his other customers. My driver just believes that this is very old school, and also believes he can watch other fast cars are not taking out zero point for the black slick. I believe he is bull (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ting himself. Every bodies thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by brett4 View Post
    My driver insists on leaving our rf shock on the car that has 350lbs of zero point when the track becomes a skating rink in the feature. Our shock builder will go to 100lbs-50lbs of zero point when the track goes black for many of his other customers. My driver just believes that this is very old school, and also believes he can watch other fast cars are not taking out zero point for the black slick. I believe he is bull (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ting himself. Every bodies thoughts?
    You are correct, least IMO

However I know people on both sides of the fence on this one. Some that rarely remove rebound and others that they do as a normal adjustment.

I can remove 3 clicks of rebound and visually you can't see the difference, mostly because you can't lift the front end as easy when slick due to no traction to step on the gas as hard.

I pulled up some data

Situation A: RF shock full stiff early when there was traction
    Situation B: Same RF with 3 clicks off full stiff and track slicking off

Situation A: RF actually raises more then B in the corners when your getting into the throttle and being more aggressive with it due to track having traction (.6642" higher spikes and this is petty tame due to track not being super tractioned up)

Situation B: RF stays down more in the corners then A when you introduce throttle application but on straights ends up a 1/4" or so higher (.2829" shock extension to be exact, in this situation)

There are always spikes in the travel on the RF, when the driver gaps the throttle in the traction and lifts the RF so IMO you need more rebound to control this but once it slicks off those throttle spikes are minor to nonexistent when the track gets really slick and if you don't remove some of that your holding the RF down even more then it did in the traction.

^Food for thought^
    Your mileage will vary, lol
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 08-26-2022 at 05:38 PM.

I remove some, but it's not cutting it by 60% or anything like that. Remove too much and you will know right away. Then you can add a bit back.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

350 "0" seems very low to start

I know a guy that races in the slick with a old schoo pro shock 7530 on the rf ....that tightens it up on entry and exit ...