Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you want to race or not

We got tracks canceling now before race day even gets there crossville canceled because everybody was running on the same night they were talladega canceled because it might rain so duck river did too I wonder if crossville wants to race now.

Do you realize what it cost a promotor to unlock the gates ?

I know what it cost if you don't open I have went to race tracks thinking I was going to get rained and see a great race now days they call the races off a day ahead of time because it might rain yeah it might come a tornado

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    I know what it cost if you don't open I have went to race tracks thinking I was going to get rained and see a great race now days they call the races off a day ahead of time because it might rain yeah it might come a tornado
    You should open a track and run every week regardless of the weather and see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    These same people are the 1st ones to complain when a track doesn't cancel and then it rains. There is no pleasing them.

It has been said several times throughout the year so far that some tracks and series would cancel or postpone races because of the tire shortage if the opportunity arose so perhaps this weekend was a perfect example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Sellers daughter who runs Smoky Mountain said.........12k to open the gates!

The insurance bill alone is rather large each week

She said the electric bill is $2500/night!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    She said the electric bill is $2500/night!
    It’s tough out there to run a track

A respected promoter posted this week that he knows of least 11 race tracks that have closed this year..

She is pulling your leg. Lights at a state of art pro baseball stadium, there are a lot and lot of lights, was around $700. A promoter told me that he never looses money, lords of London insurance, rain or no rain. 12k is another half twisted lie for that maybe what goes out total in one night but she is not including what is coming in. The do not lost 12k on a rain out.

In the 80's a friend made an attempt at promoting a track. I have no idea what the numbers were. You guys think you know it all. Most insurance carriers have a clause that states if a race car hits the racing surface, money is withdrawn from your account. If it does not, we'll it's obvious right. He only made it 1 yr, his wife said he aged 20 yrs in that one year because on race day he was so nervous if the weather was going to be a factor. His biggest concern was the money he lost in concessions. The track employee's time started when the gates opened, that and the food that was defrosted and or prepared was given away and we usually had a card game for a few hours in his office. Lights and electric never become a factor because if it's half way through the program you already have the gate in your pocket. I gave him credit, he wanted to succeed, but in the end, he said he lost a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
    She is pulling your leg. Lights at a state of art pro baseball stadium, there are a lot and lot of lights, was around $700. A promoter told me that he never looses money, lords of London insurance, rain or no rain. 12k is another half twisted lie for that maybe what goes out total in one night but she is not including what is coming in. The do not lost 12k on a rain out.
    Sounds like you have it all figured out. Perhaps when these dirt track promoters start getting the same sweetheart deals the pro sports world does they can be spared of worrying about the weather.

Personally I'd rather have a track cancel a day ahead if they're already thinking they might. Not only does that give me time to make plans to go somewhere else, but it doesn't dilute the amount of competitors at other tracks since they were also given the heads up a day early. Cancelling a few hours or right before the start hurts everybody, but I also understand it can't be avoided at times. Worked in the telecommunications industry for 31 years and completely agree with fryefan, there's a certain segment of society who will ALWAYS complain about SOMETHING. They’ll never stick their own neck out to do the work, they’ll just do what they always do…gripe, gripe and gripe some more. And some will even get on social media to air their gripes, seemingly after several beers or a tornado.

North Alabama you could not be more off on your $$$ it takes to open the gates. We had rain all day Sunday at Talladega, it was a very wise move to cancel. The total cost just to open the gates is large, very large.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
    That's for everything. Insurance, paying your track crew to work the track all week, concessions you have to buy ahead of time, etc., etc. It adds up. Some tracks have higher overhead than others.

Rain, biggest fear that a track promotor has to overcome. The question used to be in reference to race fans, racers understood the risk. Cancel to many times to quickly, fans find another source of entertainment and you risk loosing them for the year. I know I am in the minority but someone needs to work at actually building the entertainment side back up and look for the revenue from the fans. Seems that we have almost completely switched to 'back gate' promoting and wonder why we are loosing tracks....And you have to remember that you are not going to make money every time you open the gates; just need the good nights to overcome the bad. Cancel every time you fear you may lose and the good nights will not happen. People are creatures of habit, hook them and make sure they want to come back for your big night.

To open the gates is a very open ended statement which means anything in the world. Remember when tracks were family owned and ran, not by fly by promoters who rape everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Rain, biggest fear that a track promotor has to overcome. The question used to be in reference to race fans, racers understood the risk. Cancel to many times to quickly, fans find another source of entertainment and you risk loosing them for the year. I know I am in the minority but someone needs to work at actually building the entertainment side back up and look for the revenue from the fans. Seems that we have almost completely switched to 'back gate' promoting and wonder why we are loosing tracks....And you have to remember that you are not going to make money every time you open the gates; just need the good nights to overcome the bad. Cancel every time you fear you may lose and the good nights will not happen. People are creatures of habit, hook them and make sure they want to come back for your big night.
    Which track are you going to revitalize and show all the promoters how to do it?