Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Most boring season of SLM racing I can remember…

Interesting races have been few and far in between

I couldnt agree with you more! The sprint car racing has been great this year, especially the All stars, WOO and USAC. Late model racing has some work to do this off season to make racing exciting and competitive again. Its only a matter of time before people get bored with it! For the last 20 years I have been a late model guy only, same with my wife, sadly we really are not even excited anymore for what used to be our biggest weekend of the year. We didnt even go tonight, we only live 25 miles from the track, watched it on flow and was glad we didnt go, even though we had tix for tonight.

Don't seem any different than any other year to me. Do you guys ever watch old races from 2007, 2000, 1998, 1991 on YouTube? I've watched a few from the 80s, they certainly don't seem any more exciting than today. The cars where flat on the ground and boring. I just watched a race from 1991, Bloomquist lead every lap, same with Moyer in another race from 1990.

If the rules makers don't do something about how aero dependent these cars have become you may be looking at the new style of slm racing

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more! The sprint car racing has been great this year, especially the All stars, WOO and USAC. Late model racing has some work to do this off season to make racing exciting and competitive again. Its only a matter of time before people get bored with it! For the last 20 years I have been a late model guy only, same with my wife, sadly we really are not even excited anymore for what used to be our biggest weekend of the year. We didnt even go tonight, we only live 25 miles from the track, watched it on flow and was glad we didnt go, even though we had tix for tonight.
    Couldn't agree more. This is the first year I haven't went to the World 100 in at least 20 years. I'm going to the 4 Crown Nationals instead for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    You are exactly right dirt late models are really boring who ever starts up front is going to win but the woo sprints races are unbelievable.

i thought the same thing last night, the only exciting race was the heat mccreadie won. sliders and restarts are the only way to pass anymore. im tired of hearing about dirty air from the DoD interviews every night

yep. first time in a while i havent been to the world, after watching highlights from last night glad im not there. been to alot of sprint car races this year instead, alot better racing

Sure can't say that about the races at Davenport, Iowa!

Quote Originally Posted by PushinDad View Post
    Sure can't say that about the races at Davenport, Iowa!
    Woohoo! One track ponies!

Take off the spoiler. Costs nothing, changes everything.

The feature for the USA Nats was very entertaining. I haven’t attended any of the other Crown Jewels, so I can’t speak for those.

As far as comparing to races in the 80’s and 90’s, there were a lot of terrible races back then, too. I think we all forget and want to romanticize about the past.

The competition level is much better and more equal now than in the past. That makes a difference in passing. This has started to impact the amount of passing in the USMTS this year as well. Much tougher to work your way up from the middle or back of the grid with so many good cars and drivers.

At Eldora World 100 this weekend 49-76-44 or 49-44-76. Everyone else is competing for fourth place. Just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    At Eldora World 100 this weekend 49-76-44 or 49-44-76. Everyone else is competing for fourth place. Just the way it is.
    Yep, were watching the Dream on Wed and I told my buddy to look at the top 5 because it would be the same on Saturday.

I'm not saying that aero isn't a problem but I do find it funny that we say the late models are too aero dependent and the racing suffers and WoO sprint cars are the most aero dependent cars on dirt and they are always exciting. I think its a combination of everyone essentially being on the same equipment..tracks that are too big and so "smooth" and dry by feature time that theres nothing to challenge the drivers and aero bodies.

Crossbones, I agree to some extent about the Bloomquist domination years, but if you remember 2-5 could have been 40 different cars, now its 6 to 8 cars and the rest. Paradox you are right, the problem is if you watch 49.76, or 44 they look like they are on a rail, especially Davenports car, I know Davenport is a great driver, but it just looks like something just aint right about that car. If you watch Pierce, Rice, TMac, Hudson and others, those cars are on the brink of wrecking lap after lap, Davenports car looks like a dream to drive. The only other car out there that looks that smooth is the 22 car of Ferguson.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox28 View Post
    I'm not saying that aero isn't a problem but I do find it funny that we say the late models are too aero dependent and the racing suffers and WoO sprint cars are the most aero dependent cars on dirt and they are always exciting. I think its a combination of everyone essentially being on the same equipment..tracks that are too big and so "smooth" and dry by feature time that theres nothing to challenge the drivers and aero bodies.
    I gotta disagree. Those cars are fast, but they don't race. Wingless sprints race way better.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Honestly, how many races have ever been really good at Eldora? You can count them on your hand. Short track bullring races are way better. Watching push truck push sprint cars to start only to have them flip and do it all over again is exciting? No thanks!

Wanna penalize the whole field because a few cars 49,44,76 have it figured out?

Tell the others to get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Wanna penalize the whole field because a few cars 49,44,76 have it figured out?

Tell the others to get to work!
    I'm pretty sure no one is asking that. But actually, that's the way they have been doing rules since 2015 or earlier.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1