Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up HOOSIER - Unified Tire deal

HOOSIER RACING TIRE
    Unified Tire deal

So what do you all think of the announcement yesterday with Hoosier Racing Tire, Tony Stewart, WRG (Brian Carter) / DIRTcar, & Lucas Oil going to a unified tire and only making so many late mod tire compounds for the Super Late Models?

I talk to a few drivers yesterday after the announcement and they believed it could very well hell the sport to some capacity.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Very well ??? the sport…

Sounds like monopoly. I'd rather see a this that and them tire rule that multiple manufacturers conform too so there's choice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Sounds like monopoly. I'd rather see a this that and them tire rule that multiple manufacturers conform too so there's choice
    yeah so you can have americans for the tracks they excel at and hoosiers for the ones they are better at, sounds cheaper to me...... smh

I've come to the conclusion that nothing will make anyone happy.

Hers your new tire. If you have a bunch of old stock, pound sand. When it gets a few laps on it, you can't regroove. You can buy another. Sounds wonderful...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The old stock should be a non starter argument. At some point, if you want change, you have to make a hard line change. Like the cars/bodies. They wanted change last year, but everyone cried that they already had their car ready under old rules.
    Draw a line like they did with the old wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    The old stock should be a non starter argument. At some point, if you want change, you have to make a hard line change. Like the cars/bodies. They wanted change last year, but everyone cried that they already had their car ready under old rules.
    Draw a line like they did with the old wedge.
    A line is fine, if you have some warning. I get it affects everyone differently, for some, it's a big negative deal.

These guys they cater to put a new body on every week. That's a whole different argument.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    A line is fine, if you have some warning. I get it affects everyone differently, for some, it's a big negative deal.

These guys they cater to put a new body on every week. That's a whole different argument.
    Yep, no argument there. The ones that cried are the only ones that could afford to make the change.

And the one guy that will never be happy, Tim Mcreadie

Hers your new tire. If you have a bunch of old stock, pound sand. When it gets a few laps on it, you can't regroove. You can buy another. Sounds wonderful...
    When I pointed out they have been making new tire rules to save racers money and better DLM racing for the last 20 years while ignoring the real problem ....the modern day wedge bodies

Kelley Carlton told me to maybe go and ask the racers what they want. Because I know very few Super teams that weren’t in favor of this.

I wonder how many budget racers they actually talked to.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Mike,

The answer is zero. The pro and semi pro guys like fewer tires and no grooving. They have less employees to pay. They could care less about the hundreds of guys that used to carry this sport.

James Essex once reached out to me to talk about how to fix local racing car counts. I kinda feel like I was speaking French and he English, but he doesn't really make the decisions either.

From my standpoint, it's pretty simple. I can take ANY car built since 2000 and make it run with ANY car sold today. What I can't do, is get an engine that won 20 years ago, win today. Why can't I, the downforce is crazy. It has nothing to do with "fancy shocks". We can run wide open on Afco M2, once we put the correct damping curve in it.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-09-2022 at 03:22 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Mike,

The answer is zero. The pro and semi pro guys like fewer tires and no grooving. They have less employees to pay. They could care less about the hundreds of guys that used to carry this sport.

James Essex once reached out to me to talk about how to fix local racing car counts. I kinda feel like I was speaking French and he English, but he doesn't really make the decisions either.

From my standpoint, it's pretty simple. I can take ANY car built since 2000 and make it run with ANY car sold today. What I can't do, is get an engine that won 20 years ago, win today. Why can't I, the downforce is crazy. It has nothing to do with "fancy shocks". We can run wide open on Afco M2, once we put the correct damping curve in it.
    As you know I've been talking about the down force of these things for years. When they started shoehorning DLM's into a regular enclosed trailer it was easy to see the direction we were heading, but everyone wanted to concentrate on tires.

Things like this is why it's never going to change though.
    https://twitter.com/TheFast49/status...pDGb55GrgGGNXA
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    As you know I've been talking about the down force of these things for years. When they started shoehorning DLM's into a regular enclosed trailer it was easy to see the direction we were heading, but everyone wanted to concentrate on tires.

Things like this is why it's never going to change though.
    https://twitter.com/TheFast49/status...pDGb55GrgGGNXA
    If you are winning, why would you want change?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

So I wonder if we can do just little things with the body to help with the aero problems we currently have. They asked that question to Shane McDowell in the Road to Eldora segment and I know one of the things was to shorten the spoiler. I wonder if doing something like closing back in the sail panels would help "dirty the air" as well. Having them as open as we currently have them, all that clean air is helping making the downforce to our cars. If you can't make traction, you don't need 850-900hp.

He also advocated for a narrower tire.......but then that opens up another can of worms!

Yeah, I don't think going to a narrow tire helps the smaller teams. Because that would not only require a whole complete tire inventory, but also the wheels that many teams utiliize. I know that would be costly for me as a small time/town team that will be entering 5-10 super races next year. If there are going to be changes, I just think it needs to be done with two things in mind... a better racing product and cost to implement is low. As for the Hoosier tire deal, if it gets rid of where I would have to buy a certain tire spec to run a certain series and I can use that tire across any sanction, I would see that as a plus. But I can understand if you're a team that only uses say a LM type of tire, it doesn't help you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit View Post
    Yeah, I don't think going to a narrow tire helps the smaller teams. Because that would not only require a whole complete tire inventory, but also the wheels that many teams utiliize. I know that would be costly for me as a small time/town team that will be entering 5-10 super races next year. If there are going to be changes, I just think it needs to be done with two things in mind... a better racing product and cost to implement is low. As for the Hoosier tire deal, if it gets rid of where I would have to buy a certain tire spec to run a certain series and I can use that tire across any sanction, I would see that as a plus. But I can understand if you're a team that only uses say a LM type of tire, it doesn't help you on that.
    I know the tire would work, but I don't like it either, for the reasons you mentioned. Air was the problem in early 80s, it's the problem again. Let's fix that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

You could take a ton of downforce out of the cars simply by bringing the decks back down to 36” and making them flat as a pancake and make the bodies symmetrical and not significantly change the look of the cars.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Speaking of symmetrical. As I watch the Eldora coverage I seen a couple/few cars of the same builder that have the right side sail panel mounted slightly ahead of the left. Or the sail panels are just that much different from side to side. The distance between where the sail panel ends and the spoiler brace begins is larger on the right side and much tighter on the left. Lets more air to the spoiler from the right, directs more to the spoiler from the left. Little creative things like that.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.