Question Question about drivers who don’t race local

I have always been curious as to why guys like shirley,Babb,Frankie etc don’t race local when not traveling? I would think them guys would wanna race no matter what i get it life gets in the way gotta wonder with Bshepp going back to family ride next year will he be running more local? I used these names in this thread cause i am from the same area as these guys.

Each would have to answer for themselves, but I'd say it has a lot to do with money. I heard another driver, same caliber as those you named, say it costs him $1000 just to unload the car at a race, and I could see that with all things considered. So whether you're racing at a $10K show, or a local show, it's gonna cost the same....a long way of saying it's not worth it financially.

For them it’s a job. It’s not necessary for fun.

Mark Richards says it cost him 5k a race to unload.

Im sure thats on the high end, but on avg, I would think 3-5k!

5k but, he also racing for 10,000 20,000 30,000 50,000 and 100,000 but, the guy costing him a 1,000 might only be racing for 1,200, 1,500, 2,500 or 5,000 and maybe a few 10,000

A regular show at Farmer City Illinois pays $1000 to win. They are racing $100k machines, by their own voluntary spending, but that's what they spent.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    A regular show at Farmer City Illinois pays $1000 to win. They are racing $100k machines, by their own voluntary spending, but that's what they spent.
    Thats for supers?....wow!!!

Crates pay $1500 to win down here!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Thats for supers?....wow!!!

Crates pay $1500 to win down here!
    As the South lost it's supers, they always seemed to pay the "replacement class" the super pay. I'll give them credit for that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

well one..when they do get a chance not to travel, its nice to have a weekend off to enjoy other things. Two, its a risk vs. reward situation with costs vs. payout.

We are, as are probably 95% of racers, hobby guys. We don't run Late Models any more as they, basically, don't exist in CA for several years now. Pro/Super Stocks are our class for the last 15 years and are pretty much the same as the old stock stub LMs.

A traveling series is our main focus. It costs me between $5-800 to unload, depending on the distance traveled and the to-win number is $1,000 to $2,500. We're a consistent top 3 car IF... no engine failures, no flat tires, none of the thousand other things that cause a DNF occur. If we won every race of the season, had no part failures/wrecks, etc. I'd still go in the hole several thousand bucks for the season. The several "local" shows we run are for a miniscule purse and, on average, if we win I go $3-500 in the hole.

Over 60+ years of trying to go broke as slowly as possible I'm a great success. Still got the fire for the sport and, I suspect, most Saturday night racers feel the same. Expecting a guy who tries to feed his family by racing it's pretty unrealistic to want to see them show up at the local bullring for gas money. As anyone involved in racing knows it will take every minute of your time and the last change from your piggy bank to run well. It's not for the faint hearted.