Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Weiss says how fast they jack the car up effects the droop measurement

Claims the right front shock compresses and gives a different reading from when the left rear is lifted off the ground slower. Any truth to this?

It cost him 300 points and 77 spots in the points. Would have been in fifth place if he passed droop.

i don't really know how this measurement is taken, but it seems like they should raise the car and then have something maybe one inch thick that can be slide barely under the tire. take the measurement and subtract the thickness of the spacer.

Shane McDowell was all over it on the road to eldora piece when he said something to the effect of “put the cars on skinnier tires and take the spoiler down a bit”…..the simplest 2 things everyone could do on the cars and get back to drivers racing their cars instead of the cars racing their drivers.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Tire deal would unhook, but that's an unnecessary expense. I can't agree with that suggestion. Areo is the problem. Let's stick with that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by lokwaidid View Post
    i don't really know how this measurement is taken, but it seems like they should raise the car and then have something maybe one inch thick that can be slide barely under the tire. take the measurement and subtract the thickness of the spacer.
    For inspection purposes the left rear tire pressure will be adjusted to (6) six psi. Cars will be jacked up on the under-slung frame rail between the center of the rear axle and the Panhard bar mount. The left rear under-slung rail must be located between the left rear birdcage and the edge of the left rear axle housing bell. If a chassis is not of the under-slung design, then the car will be jacked up on the left rear frame rail closest to the Panhard bar mount.Cars will be jacked up until a .040-inch shim will slide between the left rear tire and the ground. Once the car is jacked up as described a vertical measurement will be taken from the ground to top trailing edge of the rear deck bar, (6) six inches inboard of the leftrear quarter panel outer edge.The measurement must not exceed 50-1/2 inches.

I would have a hard time believing that they checked his in a different manner than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    For inspection purposes the left rear tire pressure will be adjusted to (6) six psi. Cars will be jacked up on the under-slung frame rail between the center of the rear axle and the Panhard bar mount. The left rear under-slung rail must be located between the left rear birdcage and the edge of the left rear axle housing bell. If a chassis is not of the under-slung design, then the car will be jacked up on the left rear frame rail closest to the Panhard bar mount.Cars will be jacked up until a .040-inch shim will slide between the left rear tire and the ground. Once the car is jacked up as described a vertical measurement will be taken from the ground to top trailing edge of the rear deck bar, (6) six inches inboard of the leftrear quarter panel outer edge.The measurement must not exceed 50-1/2 inches.
    I never saw Francis use a shim or a tire gauge.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

But will the RF shock compress differently and effect the measurement if the car is jacked a certain way?

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    But will the RF shock compress differently and effect the measurement if the car is jacked a certain way?
    You have a really soft rate and a lot of rebound damping. If you bring it up quick and abruptly, the rf spring could compress more and take time to reextend. Not saying it's what happened, but it's possible in theory.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Mb, I took Shane’s suggestion that if the tires were skinnier and the spoiler lower that it would negate the whole need for the dramatic aero packages everyone is running and the bodies would then kind of fix themselves over time just like they wedged back out over time to where they are today.

It’s not THE solution but it did make sense as a good start…..You race though, I watch……your opinions and insight are at a whole nother level than are most of ours.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Barbeque, I think that was the point. But, I'd argue dramatic spoiler reduction and splitter removal does more and does not cause people to throw away 100 wheels and buy new.

It craters the market for wheels. It took guys years to get what they have, in many instances.

Bodies are tossed daily, weekly, or bi-yearly, depending on who you are.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-10-2022 at 12:17 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Of course the RF would effect the measurement, many drivers and crew members have stated as much. Sucks for Ricky for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I never saw Francis use a shim or a tire gauge.
    Me neither. Kenny and crew have been pretty consistent on the WoO side. I pulled the process from DirtCar.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Me neither. Kenny and crew have been pretty consistent on the WoO side. I pulled the process from DirtCar.
    Most of the time they just rock the LR tire back and forth until it spins (Watched the XR officials do it this way).

Claims the right front shock compresses and gives a different reading from when the left rear is lifted off the ground slower. Any truth to this?
    90 other cars had no droop issues for 4 days.....

I noticed Davenport cranking the steering to the right over and over before they checked him last night, and he left the wheels turned to the right. The also jacked the car up very slowly.

When the cars are at ride height (old deck hieght rule of 39"), if the RF was compressed 1" at the RF shock it raised the LR Deck the same 1" (roughly). Basically it was a 1 to 1 ratio, thus why we have a nose height rule

However when checking the droop, since the jack is under the LR on the undersling this does not happen nowhere near as much. On most cars (Wiess could be different) when checking drop you can compress the RF 1" and it only effect the LR deck height maybe a 1/4". This is due to the pivot point is now where the Jack is (under LR tire) so instead of a 1 to 1 ratio on RF to LR effect it cuts it down to more like 1 to 4.

Unless he was cutting it so close to the 50.5" limit (allowed .5 tolerance so 51.0" max) that a extra 1/4" got him over, I'm not seeing it.

Just my opinion but without seeing what they did when they checked him and whether that was the normal sequence I normally see them do, I can't say for sure. I have never seen much discernible difference in jacking the car fast or slow.

I noticed Davenport cranking the steering to the right over and over before they checked him last night, and he left the wheels turned to the right.
    I noticed that also. Very interested in knowing the effect of doing this.

A $10 tape measure used on a 100k racecar for a 12k payday!

Surely, theres a better way!