Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Tracks

Default Southern Tracks

Tonight was a night at home watching races on Flo for me. Watched The All Star sprint cars from Williams Grove, then when that feature was over, I watched the DLM feature from Knoxville. I then thought maybe I can catch the DLM feature from Magnolia. To my surprise they are still on heat races. I don't know how you folks in the south put up with that many classes on a weekly basis. I love dirt track racing, and try to get to as many races in person as I can, but I think I would find a new hobby if I had to attend tracks with more than three or four support divisions.....

Program starts when the sun goes down. Figure it out from there. But, from what I've seen, down south you get a big money to win race, 5 million cars show up, 500 spectators show up, and its 5K to win. Go two borders north, 50 cars show up, 5000 people in the stands, 500 to win. Back gate vs front gate. Front gate wins. Why tracks are closing and streaming is going to kill the sport.

And its dumbassery on anybody's part to criticize a local track that includes its 'lower' classes, those weekly people that pay 85% of the bill, for including them. Kill your entry level participation, increase the cost at the entry level, you just killed the sport. Half the time the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed street stock/stock car feature is the most entertaining racing of the night.

Oh, effing Eldora has Armco barriers as well. So does pretty much ANY track allows winged sprints. Its called containment.

If a southern track announces a starting time of 8pm and it's 2 hours from home, your best bet is to leave your house at 8pm and you will probably get there just as there playing the national anthem. Oh, take a pillow with you, so when they decide to rework the track before the heat races you can go out and catch a nap. They s*ck a large one as far as time management goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
    Oh, effing Eldora has Armco barriers as well. So does pretty much ANY track allows winged sprints. Its called containment.
    This is dirt late model and most sprint car tracks do not have Armco barriers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMjw2sjXqU

I live in the south all the tracks around me run 7 to 10 classes ever week even if they run a big race they don't cut out any classes so at the end of the night you got a wore out race track and a very late night and a follow the leader feature

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    I live in the south all the tracks around me run 7 to 10 classes ever week even if they run a big race they don't cut out any classes so at the end of the night you got a wore out race track and a very late night and a follow the leader feature
    Pretty much. I wouldn’t mind if they would just run the late models or the big event early but they normally do not do that

How many classes did they qualify at Magnolia, 3 or 4 ?

Batesville runs a good program. I wouldn't drive across town to see a race at most of these tracks in the south though.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    How many classes did they qualify at Magnolia, 3 or 4 ?

Batesville runs a good program. I wouldn't drive across town to see a race at most of these tracks in the south though.
    Started qualifying street stocks @ 11:34PM. I went to bed. After watching 200 laps at Bristol & 25 @ Knoxville. I'll never bother with watching a race at that track again. It's always a 2AM finish at best.

Agreed. I think I saw heat 3 starting after Knoxville was over. They think I don't go because streaming is keeping me home. I don't go because I don't want to be there 8 hours and get home at 3 in the morning. I understand for me that part of it is just that I am getting old, but start at 7, get me out by 11, and I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    Agreed. I think I saw heat 3 starting after Knoxville was over. They think I don't go because streaming is keeping me home. I don't go because I don't want to be there 8 hours and get home at 3 in the morning. I understand for me that part of it is just that I am getting old, but start at 7, get me out by 11, and I am there.
    Just speaking for myself here, streaming has led me to want to visit some tracks. I want to see the stock cars at Marshalltown in person. It looks incredible.
    The opposite has happened too. Don't expect to ever find me at Screven. That's not the only one, just the first that came to mind.
    And I've heard the thing about southern tracks not starting until sundown because of the heat or whatever. It also gets hot in Nebraska and they don't drag shows out the same way. In July it's hot almost everywhere.
    Last edited by jr29; 09-17-2022 at 07:30 AM.

And its dumbassery on anybody's part to criticize a local track that includes its 'lower' classes, those weekly people that pay 85% of the bill, for including them. Kill your entry level participation, increase the cost at the entry level, you just killed the sport. Half the time the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed street stock/stock car feature is the most entertaining racing of the night.
    LOL, you obviously haven’t been to a show down here.

Switched over to the Mag after Knoxville. No hard feelings here but after 5 minutes, the announcer had me out cold sawing loggs.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Switched over to the Mag after Knoxville. No hard feelings here but after 5 minutes, the announcer had me out cold sawing loggs.
    He's Ken Squier compared to a lot of the announcers out there.

The Mag announcer did not have his normal enthusiasm. I think calling all those divisions and a LM feature getting over at 12:23am wore him out. Plus, more racing to go. Feel sorry for those southern fans.

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    You are exactly correct run a timely show and I'm there when you sit there 8 hrs it's like a job

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    You are exactly correct run a timely show and I'm there when you sit there 8 hrs it's like a job
    Look at EAMS this weekend they running 13 classes

They call Johnny Dr. Dirt.......after last nights fiasco, he should be sued for malpractice!

And yes HH, the announcer put me to sleep as well! Perhaps, he shoulda made a visit to Snorts trailer! lol