Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Super exciting weekend planned

My nephews from back home, ages 9 and 10, are coming tomorrow to spend a few days with us. The oldest actually turns 11 on Saturday while they’re staying with us. They have recently started getting into a couple stock car racing games and have asked their mom about going to a real race sometime. They have two little sisters too, so mom has her hands full, obviously. Making things more difficult, their daddy is currently on military deployment in Afghanistan. Obviously it’s not an easy time for mom or the kids, but they are extremely excited to come to our house for this visit. What the boys don’t yet know is, I’m taking them to the races in Swainsboro Saturday night. I’m not even going to tell them. We’re just going to load up for a boys night out and they’ll find out where we’re going when we get there.

I’ve taken a lot of newbies to the races over the years, including my own kids, but this one is going to be special in so many ways. I’ve already been contacted by a couple drivers, the track photographer, and the track itself, offering to meet the boys and help make their experience even more special. We talk and hear about the term “racing family” a lot, and this night is going to be another great example of it. This is going to be awesome.

Enjoy the experience!! I'm sure they will love it!

They will be hooked for life….Fantastic way to do it.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Very cool indeed........i remember as a youngster, taking many victory laps with my uncle, while i held the checkered flag! Will never forget those days!

This is awesome. You will be there best uncle! Lol. Hope y'all have fun and enjoy and be safe!!

Nice job Uncle Terry! Way to entertain the kids with real racing. You're going to provide memories for a lifetime. Most importantly, prayers and thanks to their dad for his military bravery.

That is really cool. Hope you all enjoy a great evening and the races are spectacular.
    You win Uncle of the Year!

Sounds awesome 👍 I do have a question? I thought we pulled all troops out of Afghanistan? I guess that was not true.

Hope you have a big old time ! ! We need more people like you to get the younger generation into racing to keep the sport alive in the future.

Awesome - they will never forget you or the Race Track !

That's awesome! Buddy brought his kids to I 80, Owens gives them a tour of the hauler, lol... Devin Moran made friends too! Jason Feger a few years ago at Independence Ia. kids sat in car, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Sounds awesome  I do have a question? I thought we pulled all troops out of Afghanistan? I guess that was not true.
    I will double check. He’s been there several times, so when he deploys again, I guess I’m in the habit of saying that. If not Afghanistan, he’s close. My bad.

No worries. I have seen big jets taking troops to countries I thought we had quit sending troops to over the last ten or so years. It wouldn’t be a stretch to know we still have troops in Afghanistan. Go enjoy a great weekend with the grand kids 👍👍👍

I barely remember the first time my dad took us to the dirt races back in the sixties but I became hooked immediately. They will love it!

Hope they arent time trialing 9 classes for 2.5 hours though!! And start running features after 10pm

Let us know how it went terryM

i hope they have a great time always could use new fans...

We had a blast! From the moment we pulled into the parking lot, til the moment we left, the boys couldn’t have been more excited. At one point during intermission, the track announcer mentioned my nephews by name, recognized and thanked their daddy for his service, and then wished Cameron a happy birthday. The boys loved that, but then they immediately wanted to get back to talking about racing. They learned a bunch about the sport, we took lots of pictures, and they got to see some good racing (congrats to Cody Overton on a dominating evening). Also of importance, we were in our car and headed home shortly after 10:00 and home by 11:00. We stopped going to Swainsboro 3 or 4 years ago because their shows seemed to always run til 1:00am or later. You can’t bring kids to the track if they’re used to being in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 most nights. So a big shoutout to the crew at Swainsboro for running an efficient program. All tracks need to strongly consider the next generation of racing fans, and last night we definitely gained two new fans. The boys can’t wait to go to their next race. They kept saying they couldn’t believe they’d never been before. At one point, the younger one, Eli, looked at me and said, “Is this real”? Haha, that was so cool. The whole night was awesome. They fell asleep talking about it and woke up this morning talking about it. The experience couldn’t have been more perfect — for all three of us.

Glad they loved it and had a good time at the track. I can't wait until my 2-year-old grandson is old enough to take to the track.

Well done……youngsters won’t ever forget it.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????