Thread: bert problem

Default bert problem

Bert transmission, non-ball-spline

When I push in the clutch pedal in LOW gear, it seems like it's not fully engaging. Car will move a bit, but not like it should. It's not a 100% problem. At times, it works fine.

When I push in the clutch pedal in REVERSE, it works great.

The problem *might* be worse when the transmission is warm / hot, but I can't 100% confirm that yet.

Also, it seems like it never fully gets into the "neutral" position, even when the two shafts are in "neutral" ... both shafts flush with the casing of the transmission, but it still feels like it's partially engaged.

I'm pretty certain I overfilled the transmission a bit when I changed the fluid last time. I let it fill till it was running out the fill plug hole, but I've since learned that (i think) it's supposed to be 1/2" below the fill plug.

Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    Bert transmission, non-ball-spline

When I push in the clutch pedal in LOW gear, it seems like it's not fully engaging. Car will move a bit, but not like it should. It's not a 100% problem. At times, it works fine.

When I push in the clutch pedal in REVERSE, it works great.

The problem *might* be worse when the transmission is warm / hot, but I can't 100% confirm that yet.

Also, it seems like it never fully gets into the "neutral" position, even when the two shafts are in "neutral" ... both shafts flush with the casing of the transmission, but it still feels like it's partially engaged.

I'm pretty certain I overfilled the transmission a bit when I changed the fluid last time. I let it fill till it was running out the fill plug hole, but I've since learned that (i think) it's supposed to be 1/2" below the fill plug.

Any thoughts ?
    Since you said both levers on the shifter, this means its a gen 1 bert

Yes, fill is a 1/2" below the fill plug. Use a zip tie with a 90 degree bend as a dipstick to help you get the level right. Overfilled will likely blow oil out the vent tube.

Shift/clutch problem:

Is it shifting like the shifter lever is really hard to move and seems to get stuck? or is that seem fine and clutch just not engaging in low only?

I'm gonna assume it's the leveler isn't fully getting into the full low gear position because the lever is hitting the inside of the U shaped base of the shifter. Adjust the rod length so it's not hitting the shifter base in either forward or rear positions. Have you had the shifter rods off before the problem showed up, could be your using a too low of hole in the shifter so it has too much swing before it moves the shift shaft enough before the shifter runs out of travel (like I said above lever hitting inside of shifter base)

The Magnesium case ones are bad about corroding and makes the balls in the detent for the shifter rails stick and hard to shift or locks up the shifter

So I checked all the linkage around the shifter and elsewhere .. it's not binding anywhere, but that did start me thinking. I could possibly be over shifting when I'm going to LOW .. I noticed that I am able to blow right past the detent for low and go another 1/2" worth of shaft at the transmission. Not sure what that would do if I am doing that.

One other symptom that might be related. When the transmission is is NEUTRAL on both shafts (jam nut flush with transmission casing, shift levers straight up), and I push in the clutch, I'm getting a definite gear grinding that leads me to believe something isn't where it's supposed to be inside the transmission. I would think when it's in neutral, if i push in the clutch, nothing should be happening.

Thanks for your thoughts billet .. you are an amazing resource here

And don't be afraid to take it apart, or at least remove the side cover to get a look. I'm not a transmission guy by any means, but Bert has both an exploded view and even a video or two (although very old from what I remember) to get you through disassembly/assembly. I had mine apart last year to replace the clutch discs, and it even worked after putting it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    And don't be afraid to take it apart, or at least remove the side cover to get a look. I'm not a transmission guy by any means, but Bert has both an exploded view and even a video or two (although very old from what I remember) to get you through disassembly/assembly. I had mine apart last year to replace the clutch discs, and it even worked after putting it back together.
    Even then ? Well done !

I think I'm going to swappa my transmission out today, will tear open the misbehaving one soon and see what's going on in there.

Thanks !