Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    A drivers fate was determined when he pulled his number for his qualifying order. There was a point where the track worked its way into the best tackiness of the day and it only lasted for about 20 cars. If you lucked into that sweet spot you had a chance of starting up front of a heat enough to get in. The track just went south in the heat of the day after that. Single track dog track rest of the day. The booze flowed like water around those parts !
    Wow, you desribed it well. Unfortunately I've seen these things happen at some of the tracks in my area, that the racing surface is gone even before hot laps are over. Then only the first hand full of cars even have a decent surface to qualify on. And if you qualify last or near it, you might be done for the night. as only the first three or four cars advance to the featue. Starting sixth on a burnt up track is something even the best car there on that night might not get you into the top 3 or 4 spots.

Now back to the Pennsboro discussion......
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 10-28-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

They would have to widen the track and rework the bridge. Maybe totally.

Anybody know what the actual dimensions are on the track?

Curiosity question. How many on here have been to pennsboro ?

Oppps, me.

I have been, in 1992. And then twice to the Ellenboro Summer bash in 2007 and 2008. It was awful, all 3 times. Can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Wow, you desribed it well. Unfortunately I've seen these things happen at some of the tracks in my area, that the racing surface is gone even before hot laps are over. Then only the first hand full of cars even have a decent surface to qualify on. And if you qualify last or near it, you might be done for the night. as only the first three or four cars advance to the featue. Starting sixth on a burnt up track is something even the best car there on that night might not get you into the top 3 or 4 spots.

Now back to the Pennsboro discussion......
    These days you qualify amongst your group instead of the whole field. its a little more fair. Im no fan of any type qualifying, but the drivers want it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Grew up a mile from the track. Pass it everyday on the way to work and from work.

I've been. Most recently was 1991 DTWC.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Have been a few times, 80's and mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Grew up a mile from the track. Pass it everyday on the way to work and from work.
    Is that grocery store still there? I don’t know what kind of business that place typically does, but on those DTWC and Hillbilly 100 weekends, that joint was insane.

I went in 94 and 95, I was 9 and 10 years old. I know the race will probably suck, but I will be going back when and if they race again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    These days you qualify amongst your group instead of the whole field. its a little more fair. Im no fan of any type qualifying, but the drivers want it.

You are correct, I was just referring to the old days I guess, to make a better point.

Terry, yes. It’s no longer an IGA but it is a save a lot grocery store and there’s a little Mexican restaurant next door where the family dollar used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I went in 94 and 95, I was 9 and 10 years old. I know the race will probably suck, but I will be going back when and if they race again.
    That's the attitude I would have if I lived remotely close. Go and enjoy the atmosphere. Definitely something different. I think it's great someone wants to spend the money to fix it up.
    8/13/16

The place where Bubba shot the juke box [ Marges Bar ] is still there ! ! P. S. it wasn't Bubba Wallace what done did it . . .

I went from 94-97 while in high-school. I had a blast each year because it was my 1st time seeing Bloomquist, Moyer, Boggs, Swartz, Duvall, etc. My local track used to have a STARS race each year so I had seen all of their drivers, but Pennsboro is where I got to see all of the HavATampa guys plus all of the regional drivers from across the country. I saw Eckert, Stuhler, Franklin, Bare, and others pretty much every week at Potomac and Hagerstown. We considered them locals to us so it was always cool seeing them run with the best in the country. It's been a few years obviously but I remember the heats and Bmains having the best racing. Feature always seemed to be follow the leader and pray that you don't break. Was definitely a weekend long party, last time I went I sat in the back of my uncles truck outside turn 1 and got trashed with some guys from Cochran/Lynn Geisler's team. There's a much longer story to go with that but I'm not about to write a book here. There always seemed to be "strippers" around and the smell of burnt porto potties. Some of the things I witnessed there in the past would probably be lawsuits today and snowflakes would shut it down again.

Seeing some of these replies I laugh at some of the things we used to do after, and sometimes during, the racing action. Pennsboro was a place that everyone came to. Sure it's going to be interesting were there going to pit these stackers that are getting bigger it seems every year. I don't know how this car we currently have is going to perform on the surface but just to get back there will be special enough. I'll walk the pits and there probably won't be any familiar faces, and I'll be the old man now in my 70's looking around to see how many more old timers will be there to watch.

I have. Watched several DTWC’s there in my teenage years

last time i was there it was with rodney combs think was maybe 92 or 93 it was the year that Davey Johnson won the
    race he needed a extra rubber 46 for the feature and i had one mounted up think that was the hillbilly ,My mind was a lot younger back then .