Default soft RF on bump vs shock bottoming

So, older car 01 Masters wide combo..had to go all the way to a 500 RF to not bottom out my RF shock, at the prescribed 3 1/8" ride height. I was never rubbing the frame rail or anything. Car tends to be tight in, and rear won't come around. My question is, if modern guys are running soft RF with a bump, or some other stopping device, how is that different than bottoming the shock? Sorry if dumb question...

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    So, older car 01 Masters wide combo..had to go all the way to a 500 RF to not bottom out my RF shock, at the prescribed 3 1/8" ride height. I was never rubbing the frame rail or anything. Car tends to be tight in, and rear won't come around. My question is, if modern guys are running soft RF with a bump, or some other stopping device, how is that different than bottoming the shock? Sorry if dumb question...
    A hard stop leaves you rigid with no give in the suspension. You are going to shock your tire and lose front traction.

I'd get a modern lower control arm that has the mount in the lower, instead of on top of it. Then I'd get all the travel you can, without bottoming out.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

that's exactly what would happen. I would turn in, t hen the front end would skate, and I'd have to turn iin a second time to get car to do anything and by then it was too late. The 500 solved that problem, but I'm still having hard time getting rear to rotate around after entry. Was on 500 LF as well, so I will try a 450 LF, and will also raise J bar at pinion and see what happens. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    that's exactly what would happen. I would turn in, t hen the front end would skate, and I'd have to turn iin a second time to get car to do anything and by then it was too late. The 500 solved that problem, but I'm still having hard time getting rear to rotate around after entry. Was on 500 LF as well, so I will try a 450 LF, and will also raise J bar at pinion and see what happens. Thanks for your help
    That's about ball you can do unless you are willing to do surgery on the frame.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1