Default Droop rule stupidity

As bad as I think the Ray Cook droop rule is, this new check it in the middle at 40 inch deal is a big joke. This week at eams was the first time we ran with it. Jimmy Owens drove the car I help on. The tech man was brought in from one of the LM series, XR is what i was told. We were in line to qualify and he checked it and it was about a quarter inch high. I pushed it down and made it pass and he went on. Overton pulls up and his is way high. Two guys jump on the left rear and another guy picks the RF up so high the tire almost comes off the ground and he's good to go. What a joke of a rule. I don't blame the racers for taking advantage, that's what we do, but this is stupid. Maybe I just hate it because I'm too out of shape and too many things hurt too bad to be jumping up and down on the back of the car to push it down long enough for him to measure the stupid thing. At this point, they might as well say "If it'll fit in the trailer, it's legal".

Decks should be at 36” and flat as a pancake and any droop rule should be a max of 46”.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I agree with you all👍 I really enjoyed the “Stayin Alive” video you folks did.

All rules are a joke when you don't actually have the balls to enforce them. If someone touches the car to make it pass, it failed.

When the tech guy measures the car without the crew around and it's high, it failed. Doing nothing after the measurement, is worse than not checking.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 10-31-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The original poster could have just left the title up, with no words underneath………Droop rule stupidity.

Enough said.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

While I have a little different opinion about whether or not the droop rule is good or not, I completely agree with the sentiment that if you have to lay hands on the car to make it pass then it should be an automatic fail! If it were up to me max spoiler height would be only a few inches higher than ride height. People can say that rule is about safety all they want but the real reason it was introduced was to take away downforce, and that needed to happen badly. Only problem is, they didn't go far enough with it, and they still need to address the rest of the body which is getting more and more lopsided and stupid looking every year. Maybe instead of measuring spoiler height they should just figure out a standard that could be easily applied to all cars for the actual distance the rear axle travels and measure that instead. I don't know what the perfect answer is, I just know these cars really need the bodies worked on, aero needs to be detuned so people can be competitive without having to spend $50k on a motor, and wouldn't hurt if you didn't need $15k in spring smashers and shock dynos just to be able to set your car up.

Go back to leaf springs.......

Did anyone see Parker Martins crew put fuel in his car when he came in to change a tire? Pretty sure that's not allowed but anything goes at that race.

Quote Originally Posted by hardracer32 View Post
    While I have a little different opinion about whether or not the droop rule is good or not, I completely agree with the sentiment that if you have to lay hands on the car to make it pass then it should be an automatic fail! If it were up to me max spoiler height would be only a few inches higher than ride height. People can say that rule is about safety all they want but the real reason it was introduced was to take away downforce, and that needed to happen badly. Only problem is, they didn't go far enough with it, and they still need to address the rest of the body which is getting more and more lopsided and stupid looking every year. Maybe instead of measuring spoiler height they should just figure out a standard that could be easily applied to all cars for the actual distance the rear axle travels and measure that instead. I don't know what the perfect answer is, I just know these cars really need the bodies worked on, aero needs to be detuned so people can be competitive without having to spend $50k on a motor, and wouldn't hurt if you didn't need $15k in spring smashers and shock dynos just to be able to set your car up.
    Fix the body. Take the blade off. Can the stupid rules.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    Go back to leaf springs.......
    What happens when they still hike up?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The deck height rule was 36" and served us well for years. Then, when lr springs got softer guys started pushing it and saying it was hard to keep at 36, so rules went to 38. We just kept going up and up from there. Had the techs just said "too bad, fix it" we would not be where we are. There really is no excuse for not meeting a rule for a static measurement.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    All rules are a joke when you don't actually have the balls to enforce them. If someone touches the car to make it pass, it failed. When the tech guy measures the car without the crew around and it's high, it failed. Doing nothing after the measurement, is worse than not checking.
    I agree. After he checked ours, I looked around while he checked other guys, especially the touring guys, and realized none of them would pass without someone standing on the bumper until the tech guy had his tape on it.

Yep, stupidity summed this hole topic up. Car rolls thru tech it should be driver in the seat and no one except tech officials around the car. This letting guys jump on the back and lifting the RF is ridiculous. I've seen it happen, and just shake my head and walk away. These cars are far from following the rules. Nobody has the balls to enforce anything.

may as well have a crew member waiting at the scales with a 50# piece of lead and hand it to the driver before he crosses , thats no different than some one mashing down on the car to pass tech , outrageous' , I dont like spec cars , but you have to have a fair set of rules and STICK WITH THEM , no matter who it is ....JMO....