Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Your opinion has that, I have no clue what I'm talking about vibe.
    Sometimes it’s no fun to be right, sounds like that was one of the bigger clown shows in recent memory

From Cameron Marlar's Facebook page.

Came to race for 4k and 14k. Today they kept promising everyone that we would be paid. Right before hot laps they cut it to 4k. We stay anyways because we had tires that needed used, knowing we shouldn’t have but we did. Get the win and the DQ after. Reason for the DQ was deck height. (no droop rule) Yeah I was high. Everyone was. If they checked before the race and said “ hey your high, lower it and go to the tail” no problem, but you can not check after the race, simple as that. Never heard of that in my life. Tried to find this promoter afterwards but I guess he left. Everyone else was shorted and this guy is nowhere to be found. I’m sure this will probably be his last race and it needs to be. This is incredibly bad for the sport and also Atomic speedway, I’m sure they will be taking a lot of heat off this when they had nothing to do with it.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Can't check after the race? Ok... If deck height is the rule, you can check it any time you want.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Don't understand "can't check after the race." That's when folks get thrown out and we talk for weeks how awful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Can't check after the race? Ok... If deck height is the rule, you can check it any time you want.
    I remember the year the WoO checked deck heights after time trials at one of the prelim nights of the Firecracker. 17 cars failed, including a bunch of their regulars. They never checked mid-race again.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I remember the year the WoO checked deck heights after time trials at one of the prelim nights of the Firecracker. 17 cars failed, including a bunch of their regulars. They never checked mid-race again.
    Of course not. Change the rule if people fail. Smh
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I think it was the year before they went from 37” to 39”
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Deck height should be checked after the race. Racers are sneaky and will find ways to increase the height in action.

Common sense could foresee the financial disaster of this race. $33k to win for Emods. That division doesn’t have any kind of fan following in the area. Then stacking on big Late Model payoff.

These inflated purses accomplish nothing these days but fulfill a promoters ego. IF the original purse had been $4k Late Model and $3k Emod, they would have seen about those same car counts.

This series definitely doesn’t use common sense. They were supposed to have a 4 day Emod show at Hidden Valley in PA this weekend with same $1,500 and $15k to win races $33k to win total. Hidden Valley doesn’t even run Emods weekly and Is in an area with few of those cars. 99% sure this race will be totally cancelled now.

It can be done but has to be done in the summer or even around 1st of October. Also needs to be done with promoting of the vent by tracks around the area. I.E. 150 mile radius. And internet as well.

Promotor sounds like the old fly-by-night ones we had to deal with in the not always so good old days. Come in and rent a track for the evening with big promises and disappeared with the $ before the main was over and everybody got stiffed.

I wasn't there but heard of one of these clowns who was known for this act but when he made for it all four tires on his big old Buick Roadmaster had been flattened. It wasn't a pretty scene when a bunch of racers caught up with him and he wasn't heard from at the area's tracks after that. Sure wish I'd been there.

Almost got out of the sport when I was just beginning in it. This was in the late 1950s-early '60s.
    Last edited by over4T; 11-06-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Nothing about this event was done right. There really was no promotion of it and worst of all, there were obviously no sponsors or money in hand to pay these kinds of purses. It was set up to be a money grab from the gate to pay the purses(which never works, anyway). Hard to get a ton of fans when no one really knows about ithe event and you dang sure don't hold a race without having the money out of your own pockets to pay for it in a worst case scenario. On top of that, you're holding the race against a national touring series final weekend.

I was at the track Saturday it seemed sketchy from hearing stories from guys who had struggled to get paid for previous night's races. I think from the time drivers meeting started, it lasted around an hour and half, over the whole debacle. I do think Charlie Vest deserves a ton of credit for stepping up and helping with the purses that otherwise I believe would've never been paid.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember
    Eastbay (5)

"These inflated purses accomplish nothing these days but fulfill a promoters ego. IF the original purse had been $4k Late Model and $3k Emod, they would have seen about those same car counts.

This series definitely doesn’t use common sense. They were supposed to have a 4 day Emod show at Hidden Valley in PA this weekend with same $1,500 and $15k to win races $33k to win total. Hidden Valley doesn’t even run Emods weekly and Is in an area with few of those cars. 99% sure this race will be totally cancelled now."

Agree 100%. A $4000 to win feature for the Late Models and $3000 to win Modified feature would have been appropriate for the time of the year, and would have probably been something to build on for the future. I guess the UMP drivers throughout the area were skeptical from the start, because a purse of $15000 to win should have drawn over 100 cars, when you compare it to a normal purse of $1200 to $1500 to win. Ethan Dotson was the only NATIONAL modified driver in attendance. It is a shame because the Ohio Valley could use a well promoted, well organized series for the modifeds drawing cars from Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania.

The majority of mod guys I'd spoke with were very skeptical to say the least, however the question had been ask to Renegades if the purse/purses were guaranteed and were told yes. I might disagree with Dotson being, the only NATIONAL mod driver with guys like Krup and McKinney there however they did have guys from 8 states and Canada.
    I do agree that a well organized series could be ran in the Ohio Valley region. The combo of having this race in November weather turned out good but could've possibly kept people from traveling and the promoter's reputation really hurt the car count.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember
    Eastbay (5)

The race itself has everything working for it to succeed, but it ended up being a flop. Mainly because of lack of promotion IMO. The weather was next perfect for this time of year. There isn't a doubt in my mind that the place would have been more crowded IF things were handled right by Cyrus in weeks prior to the race happening. I, myself didn't even know about this race until two weeks ago. I've been kinda on the fence about charlie since he has taken over, but this was very big for him to step in and take care of the racers after the dbag move by the renegades of dirt.

At least the racing was good. Cars used any part of the track all night Fri & Sat that I was there. I think Atomic is doing what they need to in order to avoid this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
    At least the racing was good. Cars used any part of the track all night Fri & Sat that I was there. I think Atomic is doing what they need to in order to avoid this in the future.
    That place can be top dominant. It's been pretty good lately.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I was looking around dod photos for a race we attended in east bay 2011, in one of the photo Josh Richards was sitting on his drivers door as the were measuring deck height in tech…..it’s been a farce for a while hasn’t it?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

^^^yes, it has been a farce for a long time. So long, that folks have made a religion of it. You had Zach Dohm on Facebook trying to defend Marlar for failing the old deck height deal. He was going on and on about how things change during the race.

1) Correct. Lots of things change during the race and you have to account for that. We don't weigh cars before the race, otherwise we'd be getting pelted with lead shot at Eldora when the cars dumped their ballast post-scales.

2) As illustrated above, most anything you check before the race can be changed during the race. There are plenty of ways to affect that deck height measurement pre-race that can then be foiled on the track. A guy making his car actually return to the correct height, when at rest, is at a bit of a disadvantage to a guy who cheats his for 5 minutes to pass the measurement.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

When the ROD series was at Selinsgrove this year a driver at the meeting asked about burn off for deck height. The series response was that it was only to be checked BEFORE qualifying, heats, b-main, feature and was not a post race requirement. The driver that asked this question in the drivers meeting went on to win the race.......