Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Mudslinger calendars . Hero cards ( yes I know a few drivers still have them but when I was young everyone, even the top drivers did )

Push bars on the front of late models and window openings and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits big enough to actually Bo Duke into or be able to see the driver inside doing work.

Bob memmer

B main on a weekly show. I was lookin at some old pics of farmer city and all the cars were sitting in the infield after qualifying and I could count 36 cars. The thing about it is about 15 or 20 of them were capable of winning the feature!

I'm with the others who mentioned open wheel trailers. In my early teens I used to ride my bike to check out the open wheel trailers that had Jack Tyne and Tom Rients cars on them. Also, as others say, you had no idea who'd be racing at the tracks till you watched them roll in on open wheel trailers. Grundy County Speedway was good for watching from the grandstand, as the trailers would come in off Highway 47 and parade down the back stretch to the pit area.

That’s how I got into this sport. I was a sign painter, and I got hired to do a car….I was invited to go along to the track and that was it…I ended up doing ALOT of cars, and spent darn near every weekend at the races, watching my work go round and round. Then sign computers took over and that was that

Pit crew names on the cars and drivers packing the track with no helmet.
    That really brings back memories.
    8/13/16

Miss the old school buses that some teams made into car haulers. The 1 car I never saw in an old school bus hauler, a sprint car. I miss the days you could walk into a garage and see someone building a motor. I miss the smell of burnt oil. I miss seeing a camaro, chevelle, chevy II, there was a few ford mustangs and a rare sighting of the Mopar body.

National Dirt Digest - especially the one in the spring with the full page UMP Summernationals schedule ad

there were so many cars. there were race cars in almost every neighborhood. garages, body shops, and radiators shops almost all had some kind of race car.. lot of cars. regular show with 35-45 late models. inverted starts after qualifing. i miss these and everything else that was mentioned.

Real factory steel roofs on DLM’s

Remember when you’d see a trailer (open) pull n and it had 4 or 5 rows of tires…you thought….wow this must be a big time racer. Lol. Also miss the big thumper RR tires and foam mud plugs

Race shirts that were actually cool looking. Always loved the ones that had the car on the front and the back would have the back of the car and the driver standing there in his suit and helmet with the sponsors on it and cool event shirts. To me the shirts now a days are all about the same design and boring.

I always like the GATOR RACING NEWS.

I miss open trailers more then anything. My friends and I would stand at the fence at the top of the grandstands watching the main road for 2 - 3 hours just watching the cars pull in to see our favorite drivers and who else may show up. The first race of the year was always a treat to see the new bodies and paint schemes. No internet to spoil the surprises. I also miss the ride along with drivers for the kids.

Station wagons in the pits (and the parking lot)
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Man I always knew the day my speed sport should show up in the mailbox. If it didn’t show you were asking your buddies if they got theirs.

Yeah I always thought those open trailers with the 6 row tire racks were cool as hell. I remember at the old Springfield speedway (illinois) they had a big race and a guy named TJ pauschert or something like that had a new ford box van and a matching trailer with about 50 wheels and tires. Man I was in awe. Lol

Hawkeye Racing News weekly paper. Miss the open trailers too.

Whatever happened to trophy dash’s?