Default Stuff you did when you first started racing

Every now and then I think about stupid stuff we did when we first started racing. My first race car was a sportsman car built out of a chevelle so we get her all painted up and decide we want the ss stripes on it like they had from the factory So we try laying the out with tape but couldn’t get them to look right so we hop in my buddies pickup truck and drive around town till we find a real chevelle ss parked in a parking lot then hop out with a measuring tape to see how wide they really should be. Lol wasted all day doing that but probably went to the track with no clue about the stuff that really mattered

Just remembered this one also. Didn’t have a good battery for the race car so we would take the battery out of the pickup we towed with and stick it in there to race then put it back in the truck to drive home. Never crossed my mind that I really couldn’t afford to race

My first real race (did a 4 lap mechanics race once), I crossed the start/finish line at the checkers backwards, lol.

I spun the car off turn 4 but managed to cross the finish in 8th and didn't hit anything or anyone

We went to the junkyard to find tires and picked out the ones with the best white letters

I first started working on a modified when I was 12 (44 now), and my job was to take a white paint marker and re-paint the Hoosier on all the tires we used because we wanted everyone to think we put new rubber on all the time and it looked good in pictures

Helped on an asphalt Late Model Sportsman car, went to Martinsville 1979 or so. Pitted for tires, all crew positions covered, and I had nothing to do. Jumped over the wall and wiped the back glass. They gave me crap about that for some time.

also forgot The chevelle had an old beer keg for a fuel cell

We bought an old wore out second gen camaro for the bomber division. First race car! We learned real quick. On our first night out, the car overheated. Come to find out, we had a factory thermostat in there. Haha! Thr next week, we punched the center of it out so that it would flow and mixed in some Water Wetter.

We also showed up to that first race on hard street tires that were all four set at 32psi and and balanced.

I have done some pretty silly stuff over the years , but my buddy took the prize , he decided to fill the back tires with water like a tractor to get traction , when he took of and got up to speed , the whole back of the car was hopping of the ground , one of the wildest things I ever saw ........