Thread: RF Load Theory

Default RF Load Theory

What are some thoughts on RF load and how fast you can apply load? I’ve read many of the threads about this subject on this forum, but I can’t seem to find any cohesive threads that address it. We only made it to about 8 races this year and we tried a few things differently than we’ve done in the past. Namely, we ran a bump stop setup with 2 purple roller skate bump stops. We tried primary springs anywhere from 200-250. Best seemed to be 250. At the half mile horse tracks we were very fast and should’ve won 3 of the 8 races (both driver and crew chief messed up). When we went to 3/8 mile tracks we were okay but seemed to struggle getting the car to rotate on entry. It seemed to start and then push very early in the corner. We went to Humbolt Speedway with the WOO and that really highlighted the challenges. Used a 200 lb spring. 4” 2200. 3” 1150. The nose didn’t crash into the ground but really seemed to be tight. In retrospect I am wondering if we were spike loading the tire too much. My intuition is that a lower 3” number should help get the car rotated, but that didn’t seem to line up with reality. On the smasher the curve is VERY progressive towards the end. Engages more or less at 15.5” and is 2200-2400 at 14.5”. Second thought was that having less 3” should help keep the car at posture better with less rebound, and that seemed to be the case, but it seemed like the tighter the corner the worse this setup was. When we ran crate (by necessity, not by choice) we ran a 400/700 dual stage with no bump. Was harder to keep the nose out of the ground but the load rate was always linear at the end. Considering a hybrid of the two but seems like that could get unnecessarily complicated.Interested in some thoughts on this subject. Appreciate your time in advance.

Roller skate wheels in my opinion ramp to hard and should only be used as a max travel limiter. I like a penske blue Christmas tree or Somthing along that style bump for springs under 250-275. What will work best has alot to do with weather or not you need to maintain any kind of ride height for deck height purposes. Theirs alot of things that effect how and when you need to do what with each number. My recommendation is to keep good notes and look for the trend. Example if you felt like the car turned in well initially but didn't pivot enough at the point of fuel pick up. Try altering the combo to maintain your 3" but soften your 4" a little. Eventually you will find a window that each of your numbers like to be in. Then you can adjust accordingly per night/ track configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Roller skate wheels in my opinion ramp to hard and should only be used as a max travel limiter. I like a penske blue Christmas tree or Somthing along that style bump for springs under 250-275. What will work best has alot to do with weather or not you need to maintain any kind of ride height for deck height purposes. Theirs alot of things that effect how and when you need to do what with each number. My recommendation is to keep good notes and look for the trend. Example if you felt like the car turned in well initially but didn't pivot enough at the point of fuel pick up. Try altering the combo to maintain your 3" but soften your 4" a little. Eventually you will find a window that each of your numbers like to be in. Then you can adjust accordingly per night/ track configuration
    Roller skate wheels can be very linear for a decent portion of travel, especially as part of a system. I've had good luck with them, when operating in the correct part of their curve. It's like most everything else, how you use something is as important as what you use. Good advise above.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1