Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    No one complained going from D tires to 4 digit tires because we were allowed to run the D tires until they were all gone. There wasn't a burn off period. It was open tire so as long as it met the size it didn't matter. Hoosier and the series didn't go well you can't run D tires anymore. Heck I remember before they made the 1425 (there wasn't 1325, 1425, 1450 at first) we would run D35 spec tires when it was the correct rubber for track conditions.
    Exactly. It was a change in looks only, at least in my neck of the woods. I've never actually been forced to pitch good tires, "cause rules". Parts are a whole different story, but that's a pretty new thing too.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Soooooooo…..now that Hoosier is doing what goodyear did back in 2004, is the DLM world gonna kick em out and bring in something else??

Nah, Hoosier still hands out deals to people.

Mr Track owner loves his free hat and $1000 check.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Going back to the old digit tire compounds, was there ever an 0? I was very young, but I remember seeing an 0 at wvms. I don't remember the drivers name. We are talking mid 90s here.

I know there were guys making their own stamps back in those times too. That's why I'm curious if there was ever a true 0 tire.

Can you say monopoly

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Going back to the old digit tire compounds, was there ever an 0? I was very young, but I remember seeing an 0 at wvms. I don't remember the drivers name. We are talking mid 90s here. I know there were guys making their own stamps back in those times too. That's why I'm curious if there was ever a true 0 tire.
    McCreary tires used 0-6 for their tire compounds.They had 0 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 4 4.5 5 and 6

zyoung25, Don't know if Hoosier ever had a 0 compound but McCreary, American Racers' predecessor, sure did. It was little used by the Saturday night racers and eventually the left coast groups pretty much all settled on the EC2 which was a medium hard and long lasting tire. A friend's sponsor once sprung for a set of 4 of the 0s in our local LMS class and he kicked azz all night at Grass Valley but a 4 lap dash, 8 lap heat and a 20 lap main. all of which he won by a considerable lead, had them all down to the cords. We were getting $300 for a win then. Tires ran about $110 each.

Last time I saw anyone run them.
    Last edited by over4T; 11-24-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Can you say monopoly
    Y yes, I can " MONOPOLY " !

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    McCreary tires used 0-6 for their tire compounds.They had 0 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 4 4.5 5 and 6
    Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    zyoung25, Don't know if Hoosier ever had a 0 compound but McCreary, American Racers' predecessor, sure did. It was little used by the Saturday night racers and eventually the left coast groups pretty much all settled on the EC2 which was a medium hard and long lasting tire. A friend's sponsor once sprung for a set of 4 of the 0s in our local LMS class and he kicked azz all night at Grass Valley but a 4 lap dash, 8 lap heat and a 20 lap main. all of which he won by a considerable lead, had them all down to the cords. We were getting $300 for a win then. Tires ran about $110 each.

Last time I saw anyone run them.
    I don't remember what brand it was. I am old enough to remember seeing McCreary tires on cars though. That could have been what it was.

Thanks for the info.

Hoosier mid atlantic is up to $260 each for any of the old stuff like a 28.5 rib 1300, 1325, etc. That's just crazy. I am just hoping that the local tracks in my area don't adopt this right off hand. They run on a 1300 or harder rule, so hopefully they stick with that. I just can't afford to buy all new. I still have some brand new, old 29/11 economy NRM 1325s that are already grooved and siped from a few years ago that I have kept wrapped in temp controlled basement. They dig pretty hard and work well. Don't want to not be able to use those lol

Can you say monopoly
    You can say that until you’re blue in the face, but Hoosier isn’t a monopoly.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

^^its very close to a monopoly. Dirt late model tires are basically a duopoly, where one participant is hampered by its own poor operation and the artificial barriers to entry thrown up by the better run participant.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-26-2022 at 05:41 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

They have very little competition in the dirt track tire business. No one can produce the number of tires that Hoosier puts out there. There's a reason other tire companies don't want to produce dirt track rubber, I don't know what but the market is there for the taking and you would think one of the major tire companies would give Hoosier a run for a pc of the market. If American Racer could produce the same ammount of tires, then I think you could call it a monopoly.

There is a reason they are referred to as the Purple Mafia. I don’t know how any middle class individual races anymore. I truly don’t. The cost is way past ridiculous.

Back in our day, you plucked down 10 grand and you could become a Hoosier tire dealer. We did, and got dealer pricing.

I know many teams that took advantage of it. You know whores don't care who's doing what, they only want there cash up front. That's what we used to say about them back then. Has it changed, I doubt it.

A monopoly is absence of competition hence making Hoosier the only supplier So yes it is a monopoly

A monopoly is absence of competition hence making Hoosier the only supplier So yes it is a monopoly
    American Racer exists and supplies a fair amount of racers, although it’s generally in other divisions, especially modifieds and asphalt late models.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

American Racers cant even supply a local track where I am in Ohio called Shadybowl Speedway so they opened the tire rule up to be able to run Hoosier and American Racer.

I still have an old McCreary GO-10 tire that I use to unload fuel drums with. Those tires were awesome. It didn't hurt when the old 28.5/14.0-15BT tires measured almost 18 inches across when mounted.

Looked on Wild West shootout 2023 tire rules and says 20 and 30 are allowed also and grooving and siping allowed on all. So much for the decreased tire man work.