Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tire situation for 2023

Has anyone heard how the DLM series are going to implement the new tire compounds for 2023? Is it still going to happen and I wonder what the availability on them look like? Will there be a burn-off of 2022 tires for a certain time period before going to the new compounds? These questions have more effect on the little teams around the country more-so than the bigger national level teams. I would hope by the PRI show we might hear some answers, but just wondering if anyone else has heard anything more recent news on that.

I seen on the tech banner for the WWS they had Hoosier NLMT 2,3, and 4. I don't recall seeing that before. I'm guessing those are the new compounds that they want everyone to use.

My guess is, it will be a total train wreck. No Groove, no sipe already out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I seen on the tech banner for the WWS they had Hoosier NLMT 2,3, and 4. I don't recall seeing that before. I'm guessing those are the new compounds that they want everyone to use.
    Those are the new tires. Locally, I saw Florence Speedway is giving racers until the first week of June to use old stock. So, probably about 2 races. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    My guess is, it will be a total train wreck. No Groove, no sipe already out the window.
    No groove sucks. How you supposed to revive a tire?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Oh I don't disagree. I was merely pointing out how what they said would happen isn't actually happening.

In the northeast there are many problems. There are a lot of tires in the pipeline. Heck they quit making the 28.5 1325 in October 2021 and at the end of 2022 guys still had some. They can't just obsolete the open tires. Plus I'll bet you after Florida they won't have enough NLMT tires left. We'll be back to shortages again.

Another issue is Hoosier will have to pay the tracks to go all in on their tire. They were all ready cutting funding last year. If a track doesn't get paid they have zero incentive to mandate Hoosiers.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Those are going to be the only tires allowed (in the major series anyway). There was an article about it this past summer (don't remember where I saw that at or I would provide a link).

From Hoosier’s website last week:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/images/c...T%20FAQ(2).pdf
    "Ain't it good to be alive and raisin' hell in Tennessee!" - Dusty Rhodes (1988)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Your tire bill is going to increase by 25% and your stack of useless rubber is going to increase substantially. It will be interesting when they get to a hard slick surface. Maybe they want to bring pit stops into short track racing or maybe when they were cutting laps and the end of the year was writing on the wall and nobody realized it.

Just think of it The World 75.

Will be just like the Blue Gray is every year.....Probably two stops at Gaffney!

From what I heard Wissota (sanction) stamped Hoosiers are going up by 9% for 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    From what I heard Wissota (sanction) stamped Hoosiers are going up by 9% for 2023.
    I thought the point of the rule was to eliminate all these different tires?

Tire rule, lol……..
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    I thought the point of the rule was to eliminate all these different tires?
    Same here. I thought there were only NLMT stamped units, going forward.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    Oh I don't disagree. I was merely pointing out how what they said would happen isn't actually happening.

In the northeast there are many problems. There are a lot of tires in the pipeline. Heck they quit making the 28.5 1325 in October 2021 and at the end of 2022 guys still had some. They can't just obsolete the open tires. Plus I'll bet you after Florida they won't have enough NLMT tires left. We'll be back to shortages again.

Another issue is Hoosier will have to pay the tracks to go all in on their tire. They were all ready cutting funding last year. If a track doesn't get paid they have zero incentive to mandate Hoosiers.
    I ran a RR tire this year that was last produced over 2 years ago. I get what you are saying. Actually, I ran a few that have been discontinued longer than that, now that I think about it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Us too we bolted up two Lucas 03 tires this year that were brand new. I am pretty sure they have not made those in a while.

I was 16 when Hoosier changed the tire system from the old 3,6,12,15,21 etc. to the 1100-1600 system.

I’m not trying to sound like a jerk, but did everyone b1tch this much during that time?

No one complained going from D tires to 4 digit tires because we were allowed to run the D tires until they were all gone. There wasn't a burn off period. It was open tire so as long as it met the size it didn't matter. Hoosier and the series didn't go well you can't run D tires anymore. Heck I remember before they made the 1425 (there wasn't 1325, 1425, 1450 at first) we would run D35 spec tires when it was the correct rubber for track conditions.