Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dome Race

There are corn fields in central Illinois smoother than that track. I don’t see how that could be fun at all driving in that, but apparently it is fun because people show up and participate every year.

So much negativity lol. I’ve watched through streaming in the past, and it’s pretty blah aside from the few electric moments via interviews or drama. However, attending is an entirely different experience. The electricity inside the dome during the highlight moments is chilling. There are plenty of miserable moments of down time from wrecks but far overpowered by the intensity and good moments. There was at times good racing considering the size they are confined to. The mods raced cleaner and better than the late models so ripping them is simply based on being a mod hater under any circumstance. The ruts in the track enhance the passing ability so it’s a needed element. No one is forced to watch so find another means of entertainment and get off of flo for the night. And announcers having fun at the event and providing a less professional vantage point goes with the vibe of the weekend and enhances the entertainment. Nascar puts a corporate prim and proper show on every Sunday if that’s your preference. We had nearly 100 people from our area sitting all throughout our section and not a single one had a bad time. We all had a bucket list type experience from the atmosphere to key interview moments and key racing moments as well as the time out on the town.
    Last edited by jbird10; 12-05-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Type

Do you guys piss in your own Wheaties or have somebody do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It was really smooth night 1, but they "fixed it". It was all but said they wanted it rough. They like a rough track and unpolished individuals they can put a mic in front of. It's a spectacle where they do some racing.
    I felt like Thursday was to dry/smooth and the racing suffered as a result. I think Friday was the right mixture character but not to rough for most of the night. All things considered it's a pretty good show. It's far more of an event than a race but I like it. I think considering all the dynamics and logistics their up against that they do a great job with the track. As far as people complaining about tearing stuff up that's part of racing and I've seen worse tracks that have been prepared by the same people 20 weeks a year for decades with no improvement. I've been to it in person and it's a great time. The only gripe I have about the stream is the basically dead air during the down time. Their is no reason for it. Put a highlight real on more commercials for sponsors anything but a basically blank screen. And that gripe is with flow in general.

I don't understand the complaints about the mods. They put on a good program this year. I believe its because it was invite only. The late models need to be invite only too to get these junkers off the track that can't hold a line for anything. Every year its a train wreck until the feature on Saturday because of the junk.

I enjoyed it. Highlights for me where Tyler Erb winning even after loosing his Dad just days before. Not even an Erb fan but thought that moment was special. Was awesome to see the fans reactions when Kenny Wallace won his LCQ race to get into the feature.

Is it everyone's cup of tea? Of course not.

Is it more about the event and atmosphere then the quality of racing? Probably so but that could be said for other events. DTWC at Pennsboro comes to mind. Many of you on here stated the racing there always sucked but you would be there every year just for the party.

I'd say it is like Bowman Gray on dirt. Probably more of an entertainment factor then pure racing but it works as there's always a large car count with a large crowd. Of course a lot of stuff is going to get torn up but the drivers know that going in and keep showing up.

Bowman gray covered with dirt??? Hmmmm….that doesn’t sound terrible at all.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

As an owner and still sometimes driver who grew up on some pretty rough midwest joints in the late 1950-1960s the racing sure takes me back to that era. Very few competitors whined about how tough it was. It's just the way it was. Would I want it back to that on a regular basis? No, but it's a nice thing to revisit on occasion.

Weatherman's comment calling it "Bowman Gray on dirt" was quite true. Watched Friday night live and they sure tore up some stuff. Was all set for more of the same on Saturday and my Broadband went out before it even started and just got fixed this morning so enjoyed the reruns this morning while the snow piles up a couple of miles up the road in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

One of things I enjoyed is seeing some of the promising up and coming talent that is a little under the radar. Guys like Cody Bauer the northern Michigan guy in the Domination chassis, Will Herrington the very capable young Georgia guy, of course Tyler Carpenter and many more in both the SLM and Mods. Just watching the super stars of the sport at the established big name tracks week after week gets monotonous to me. Might not to others but different strokes...