Default HELP NEEDED - Hoosier's 'Hybrid' Transition to New Tire (DOD Article)

Can someone with a DOD subscription clue us in on what Hoosier's 'hybrid' plan is? Thanks in advance.
    "Ain't it good to be alive and raisin' hell in Tennessee!" - Dusty Rhodes (1988)

ya, team purple screwed the pooch on this one, "the first of the year we are going to the new tires" so anyone with inventory sold them off, this is what was said by them , now they have a bunch left so they are going threw a transition period which is what should have been said at the start, so if you have 20's and 30's i would think your fine
    basically 10-20-30-40 , the lm tires will work
    the open tires are gone and done with, 1200,1300,1350,1425,1450,1600, are all done

unless your local track does something different at local races

Basically, the NLMT tires are just rebadged UMP tires. They haven’t produced enough NLMT tires, so they’ll have UMP tires in Florida because they are essentially the same exact tires. They’re hoping by the time the regular season starts that they’ll have enough NLMT tires so they won’t have to use UMP
    tires anymore.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Can someone with a DOD subscription clue us in on what Hoosier's 'hybrid' plan is? Thanks in advance.
    Some of what the above post said is correct but not entirely accurate. But the bottom line is 4m is or dod is not the place to get this information. The burn off period is a fluid situation. It's different in each region. You need to contact your local hoosier dealer and track. If your concerned with Florida you need to contact the series you intend to race with for clarification on what will and won't be allowed

My interpretation of the story was Hoosier wants to use up all of their 20’s 30’s and 40’s before they start producing more of the NLMT tires. The story says they have quite a surplus of them but at the same time I thought there was a “tire shortage” late in the season….

They may have stopped producing the 1300 type tire but there are way more out there than you realize in the northeast between HTMA, area dealers and the race teams themselves. Hoosier tried to starve us and taught everyone how to race on used tires longer and we didn't use up near enough stuff. For instance the 28.5 1325 hasn't been produced since October 2021 and teams still have them. The 1300s were still being produced in August 2022. The whole thing is going to be an absolute train wreck in the northeast. I look for American Racer to get rolling because the mafia isn't going to buy off every track in my area. And I have been assured by AR they are in good shape for production.

Luckily for us, we have places in the area giving burn off time or in some cases still allowing the old tires.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Tire rule, lol…….
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Shanon said that when they announced the new tire and the intent to switch to it that purchases from that date forward fell way short of forecasted sales. Guys stopped buying as much and started using what they had stored or used what they had longer. That in turn left a surplus of the LM tires which they intend to sell first. But they announced the expected "burnoff" period from the beginning also.

There are going to be a couple of issues in several regions as the burnoff period happens. None of the open comp stuff really compares so I see that the solution will likely be having open fronts until a certain point and then moving to NLMT tires only. Then there will be an issue with tracks and/or series that have allowed American Racer comparable compounds as AR doesn't have anything right now that is comparable to the LM/NLMT stuff.

^^ "Hey American Racer, Hoosier is only selling their bad tires now, so yours aren't fair"
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Just more reason why tires should be open. May the company who provides the best performance for the money get the business of the racers.

Quote Originally Posted by ride height View Post
    Just more reason why tires should be open. May the company who provides the best performance for the money get the business of the racers.
    No race team that I know of wants an open tire rule. The fact that there will only be 4 compounds available from Hoosier to me is a good thing. Now, theoretically a team can go anywhere in the country and only carry a minimal amount of tires. Last year if you were in the NE area you had to have 1325 and 1425 to be able to race. In the SE it was 1399s and 1350s. It was just so many different tires. And American Racer will be the first to say that their open tires just didn't compete performance wise against Hoosier.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    And American Racer will be the first to say that their open tires just didn't compete performance wise against Hoosier.
    That's a debatable statement, but it's a certainty that what they have is a better tire compared to NLMT. The professional teams like a universal tire. It makes it easy for them. Those are the only folks with a real voice in the sport, despite the fact that they are in the minority.

The rest of us don't really care about that. We stay in our region and we just want a couple tires that actually work well and have some longevity to them. A tire that wears really fast or has 2 heat cycles before it falls off bad is damaging to our bottom lines. The professional guys toss them as soon as the rules allow. Again, their needs are not aligned with most of us.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Again, Hoosier has no one that can produce the number of tires that they can. The only thing that has come out of this so called tire shortage is how much the price has increased. Has there materials cost gone up, yes it has just like everything else has. It's the way life is today, in this case, what choices does a racer have ? Hoosier came up with this plan to eliminate what the racer needed to carry. It was sold as well you won't have to carry as many tires so instead of buying X ammount of tires you will only need this many. The burn off of old tires and what part of the country your in is going to cause a real cluster down the road.

My problem is the UMP style tire that this new tire will be is absolute GARBAGE when compared to the 1350-1600 tires I will be switching from.
    Just like Hoosier did with the UMP mod tire in 2017. the new M-30 M-60 are junk. They replaced a great tire D, A, H compound with that new crap.
    The Purple Mafia are not going to do anything to help the average racer, just help their bottom line.....
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I honestly do not care about the opinion of professional race teams as MB said they are the minority and don't care a lick about us. Also I do not care about the opinion of a series director who has now botched multiple tire situations over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    I honestly do not care about the opinion of professional race teams as MB said they are the minority and don't care a lick about us. Also I do not care about the opinion of a series director who has now botched multiple tire situations over the past few years.
    I'm not a professional race team and I am all for the new tire program. The series I run is kind of on an island for tires and when bigger series came to town I skipped those races unless they happened to also allow the tires I had on hand.

With the new tire rule my series will have to adapt to the new tires and when the bigger series' come around I will already have the tires I need to go race.

I'm glad that are trying to unify the tire rules and limit options. But, its too bad Hoosier elected to go with the UMP tire. A grooved 1350/1425/1600 rule would have been nice, such a superior tire that turns good, holds traction, re-fires, and doesn't fall off like the UMP tire.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    I'm glad that are trying to unify the tire rules and limit options. But, its too bad Hoosier elected to go with the UMP tire. A grooved 1350/1425/1600 rule would have been nice, such a superior tire that turns good, holds traction, re-fires, and doesn't fall off like the UMP tire.
    Agree. They put it to us with over 50% price increases from 2 years ago and gave us the junk tires for our options going forward. But, we are supposed to thank Hoosier and tell American Racer to offer something new and comparable. Smh. A lot of track owners and series promoters sure do like their purple jackets.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 12-20-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Agree. They put it to us with over 50% price increases from 2 years ago and gave us the junk tires for our options going forward. But, we are supposed to thank Hoosier and tell American Racer to offer something new and comparable. Smh. A lot of track owners and series promoters sure do like their purple jackets.
    It sounds like they have you coming and going ?