Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Josh Richards to step away from full-time racing...

Josh Richards announced today that he will step away from full-time racing

Josh Richards Racing
    6m ·
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    HOUSTON, Ohio – Five-time National Champion Josh Richards announced today that he will step away from full-time racing to pursue other opportunities effective immediately.
    “It was not an easy decision to make, but I knew it was time for a change,” explained Richards. “I’ve raced full-time since I was a teenager and I’m ready to do something different with my life.”
    Though Richards may be hanging up his helmet for the foreseeable future, he hasn’t ruled out running a few select races per year.
    “I don’t have the desire to race a full-schedule again,” said Richards. “But, I wouldn’t be opposed to racing for fun a few times a year if the right opportunity presented itself.”
    During his illustrious career, Richards captured five National Championships. One Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Title. (2017) and Four World of Outlaws Late Model Series Championships. (2009, 2010, 2013, 2016) The 34-year-old driver is credited with over 170 Super Dirt Late Model wins across multiple racing Series, with more than 100 of those victories coming in World of Outlaws and Lucas Oil Series competition. Richards also holds the titles for All-time leader in World of Outlaws Series Fast-Time Awards and the youngest winner in World of Outlaws Late Model Series. He is also the youngest driver to win a Championship and Rookie of the Year honors in World of Outlaws Late Model Series history.
    “I’ve been blessed to accomplish all that I have in my career,” said Richards. “I give all the glory to God. I want to thank my family, friends, teams, crew and sponsors for giving me an opportunity to race and be competitive. I also want to express my thanks to my family and my wife, Andrea for their love and encouragement. I want the fans to know how much I’ve appreciated their support. I have enjoyed getting to meet so many new people throughout the years and I will cherish their friendships forever.”
    -###-
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Sad to see this but I suspect the fire burned out a long time ago. Nonetheless, he accomplished things that many can only dream of and did it with a lot of class.

This is so incredibly sad. Think he’s burned out? Reminds me of when Birky had enough and walked away.

Give him a few years and maybe he will come back

How dare Josh make that announcement without first informing DOD

I think Josh still lives in Houston, Ohio but I also think that mud clod hit this year made him rethink things. Will he go to work for his dad and move back to West Virginia? Whatever the case he is a great driver and stepping away is not bad he can focus on something with a retirement and maybe a family

Josh hasn't been the same racer since he left rocket1 IMO. I know he won the Lucas title the next year, but he didn't race like the Josh Richards we all used to bash for being overaggressive. If you were paying attention, you could see this day coming. I had actually heard about this about a month before the national touring season was over with.

He should be put in the HoF next year with no questions asked.

All fingers have been pointed in the same direction since he left Rocket1.

Sorry to see this. But, the writing has been out there.

Hopefully he can find a good job, that has good benefits. That will be more important later in life, than racing full-time now.

He’s not going to work at rocket, he moved to Ohio to be closer to his wife’s family

Last I knew dad and son isn't talking since dad's divorce. An mark doesn't approve of Josh's wife. Not sure how true it is an hope the best for Josh an plenty of great jobs in the Midwest area.

^^^shame. A father raises a son in hopes he doesn't make the same mistakes he made. In life, children thru a divorce, they will gravitate toward the parent that equally share the same thoughts. Mark Richards throughout his career has been a extremely focused individual. He has built rocket, with partners, to a business that surpasses all but a few. Josh behind the wheel of the house car did exceptional. Remember, Josh left rocket, he left because of what was demanded of him. When Mark and Steve Baker decide to move on I highly doubt it will be passed on. I really can't think of any successful chassis builder that has passed the business. Work ethic, hours, most don't want to have anything to do with it.

t4g2
    You are correct. Also Josh didn’t leave because of what Mark & Steve demanded of him(as stated in above post).
    Isn’t Josh’s mom now with the Doctor from Indy who was treating his arm/hand issues when he was on injured reserve?

^ ^ Perhaps that is the reason that the family is now dysfunctional ? ? ^ ^

To me, Josh will always be the face of Rocket1!

go to 14:51 for a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Things change. Now BShepp is the guy offering a ride on social media.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    As usual great content ! !Old Bloomer said " If his father pulled the plug " ; some say that the same thing actually happened to Bloomy when his dad quit bailing him out after Scotty boys divorce and some other mitigating circumstances ? ?