Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tradition Vittles

We have certain things we eat as traditions or tied to special days or celebrations during the year( july4 burgers and dogs,Easter dinner Ham,Grandmas Sunday chicken etc)

New Year’s Day is one of my favorites just because of the food combination and it’s supposed meaning ….pork of some kind(normally ribs and shoulders),hoppin Jon (rice,blackeye peas and peppers made like a pilaf) and stir fried collard greens…….the tale is the hoppin John is for good luck and the greens are supposed to bring you money the following year.
    Cornbread and Biscuits to soak up the plate drippins btw.

New Year’s Eve we normally do pasta of some sort, this year it’s seafood scampi.

Y’all got anything, it’s always interesting to see how the different people from different regions celebrate occasions.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Whoops, I pulled a cw and posted new thread in wrong section…..open this up to track food traditions also…….one of my favorite traditions is my friends mom sends us packin with a skillet full of chicken bog, pintos and dumplins and some awesome fried chicken.every time we head south for soeedweeks.

Whatcha got?

For Christmas, we do smoked brisket and some kind of poultry too. Sides slide towards BBQ style due to the main course.

For NYE, we usually do seated ribeye, baked potatoes, and steamed broccoli/asparagus/edamame.

For NYD, kielbasa/hot dogs, sauerkraut, masked potatoes, green beans.

Various forms of alcohol throughout, depending on what everybody that comes wants. I’m a bourbon/stout beer guy myself.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

That's okay BBQ, only CW can get in trouble for that!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Smoked two turkeys over hickory and oak with a bourbon butter mop for Thanksgiving.

Was forced indoors for Christmas as it was minus something out of doors.

New Year's as of an hour ago will be grilled oysters, Eastern Shore pit beef, Smith Island cake and a mighty blast of booze.
    Last edited by Oiler; 12-29-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    "Ain't it good to be alive and raisin' hell in Tennessee!" - Dusty Rhodes (1988)

I had to look up smith island cake……that thing would get destroyed in my house, looks awesome

We have a local lady that does something similar with coconut…..a bunch of thin cakes layered with some kind of ridiculous coconut cream frosting all in between…..it gets wiped out every holiday.

These threads turn out kinda cool every now and then, thanks for sharing.

We grew up doing sloppy joes on Halloween night just because we liked to get our kids fed a quick meal before they ran out to trick or treat in the neighborhood……

Even though the kids are grown,gone and quit trick or treating years ago my bride and I always end up making them anyway on Halloween……..she changed it up a few years ago and instead of the normal sloppy Joe red sauce she made them with burger, onion,water chestnuts and a thickened terryaki sauce for more of an Asian flavor joe. It’s a keeper, tasted great.

Not “ we” grew up…..our kids grew up eating them.

Hell when we grew up my folks told us to get lost for the night and that they better not get a call from the dam police ,lol.

Bayko you hit the nail on the head for nyd. Kraut, dogs, kielbasa and whatever else I can find. Slow cooked in home made Kraut with 2 large sweet onions. 18 people coming over, I'll be slow cooking pds of meats. Can't wait.

Long time tradition NY day. Pig tails/sour kraut and mashed taters.
    8/13/16

I like kraut & kielbasa every now and again……i hit those collards we eat with a bunch of vinegar and peppers anyway, so it’s a southern kinda kollard kraut anyway I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Bayko you hit the nail on the head for nyd. Kraut, dogs, kielbasa and whatever else I can find. Slow cooked in home made Kraut with 2 large sweet onions. 18 people coming over, I'll be slow cooking pds of meats. Can't wait.
    Love it that way ! The wife makes her kraut with pork.

Beef stroganoff

1 lb stew meat
    1pkg. French onion mix
    2 cans golden mushroom soup
    1 cup beef broth
    1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
    Cook in the slow cooker for 8 hours
    Before serving:
    Add 8 oz. Cream cheese
    Dallop of sour cream
    Serve over egg noodles
    Enjoy!

I like to steam a live lobster tail and cook a NY strip or T-BONE steak. Bake potato and whatever else I'm in mood for.

Hog jowl, black eyed peas, fried cabbage, Mac & cheese and a dessert usually pecan or lemon ice box pie on NYD.

Of coursi'n that there sourkraut courses right on thru me ! I might end up having the diareee for nigh onto 3 day ! !

P i z z a !

Quote Originally Posted by Black F View Post
    P i z z a !
    You laugh, but the next time my wife is on call for Christmas we’re doing pizza and Chinese.

Yes, I do most of the cooking in his house, but wifey holds down some of the sides and most of the hospitality.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Christmas morning tradition……..normally country ham and biscuits with red eye gravy.

If we are lucky there is always a little egg nog leftover from the night before and my wife will make us waffles using it instead of the milk……hit it with warm apple butter and powdered sugar.( it’s kind of strange sounding but is dam good)

My family tradition here in the Carolinas on New Years Day is pork (either pork chops or BBQ), fried fatback, collard greens as they are supposed to bring you greenbacks, black eyed peas for change (coins), and blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream for good luck. For Christmas, its orange rolls for breakfast (used to be Pillsbury, but my daughter makes them from scratch now), multiple soups and poor boy sandwiches for lunch at my Aunt's. I am responsible for butterscotch haystacks and chocolate peanut butter balls for the Holidays. Thanksgiving is traditional with a big table of food, but my mom's cornbread dressing, cream corn, and fried okra are my favorites. At the race track, fried bologna sandwiches are a race track tradition for me and my daughter.