Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

we added fried pork to news years day menu, used up some boneless country style ribs we had in the freezer and cut them into chunks , breaded and fried them up in the fry daddy.
    We haven’t been eating a lot of fried foods in general, but dam those were good. While the oil was going I made hush puppies instead of the normal skillet cornbread my wife makes. Worked out pretty good and she was happy not having to fool with the cornbread this year …..I could see those pork chunks and hush puppies going great at a racetrack tailgate ,hope everyone got to eat well with family and friends and has a happy new year.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

BBQ
    Curious as to your hush puppy recipe??

1 1/2 cup flour and same amount corn meal……house autry,moss or any good local yellow corn meal.
    1 cup buttermilk ( 1 cup thinned out onion dip works too)
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    Onion powder tsp or to taste
    Paprika same
    Salt and pepper same
    1/2 stick cold butter chopped up( oil or lard works for the masses.)
    A splash or two of beer
    Makes 20/25 golf ball size hush puppies

This is our basic recipe but have added onion, cheese, corn ,jalapeños etc for different types and different occasions……cut this recipe in half and add a lb of crabmeat to it and make some crab pups, hide those for yourself.

I use the beer to get the final consistency we like, a splash or two is about a half a beer or so normally for this qty.

Thanks Pal- nothing better than a good puppy!

What bout you guys? Got anything different or better out that way?we are always up for hearing about stuff outside our region.

On 4m seasoned crow seems to be popular. JS

BBQ, 4M's Official Head Cook!!!! Head Chef??? Which sounds better?
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

There’s no doubt BBQ knows his stuff when it comes to rustling up some great grub!
    My hats off to him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    BBQ, 4M's Official Head Cook!!!! Head Chef??? Which sounds better?
    Cook, Chef... If he's half as good as he has appeared to be over ths years here on ole planet 4m, does matter?

Default Neither

Cook or chef, minimal professional training and lots of observations and trial and error…..I come from a family of great cooks throughout and just watched a lot growing up. Once I got older and could afford to travel a little bit I always sought out regional specialties wherever we went and then would bring that idea home and southernize them some kind of way.
    We make Italian wedding soup but use seafood and collards instead of veal and spinach like most recipes call for, classic crab cakes Maryland style but stuff them into onion rings, stuff like that……as a kid I used to like to take stuff apart and see how it worked and then try to put it back together…….as I grew older and found myself cooking a lot I would do the same with food.
    Sometimes it goes back together like it should, sometimes it’s better, sometimes not so much…. Thanks for the compliment guys but we just like to eat well, have traveled to some great culinary destinations immersed and observed , aren’t afraid of much and I have a lot of friends that have let us use them as test dummies over the years.

I’m always looking for cool regional ideas, old regional cookbooks and local dives when we travel…..

There are a ton of great cooks out there with some very creative ideas on stuff that they don’t even know are great or creative because it’s just what they grew up doing or watching others do……I ran across a poster on another racing forum that would talk about and post he and his wife’s food/travels/parties/race weekends etc.
    He would talk about progressive dinners done with his son and wife while traveling to Peru and other cool exotic spots, I would chime in with something goofy like smoked bologna sandwiches at screven or some crazy soup we made to stay warm at golden isles but we always found common ground somewhere in all that because we enjoyed racing and we enjoyed good tasting food……it was cool.

BBQ, you ever make any squash balls ? Take your basic hush puppy recipe there but just add some grated or chopped yellow squash or you can make em into patties whichever way you prefer.

BBQ, I added country ribs in my slow cooker this year for the 19 people I had come over for new years day. All I can tell you is I better get more for next year. Everybody was digging around in the slow cooker looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    BBQ, you ever make any squash balls ? Take your basic hush puppy recipe there but just add some grated or chopped yellow squash or you can make em into patties whichever way you prefer.
    I’ve never made them but have eaten them….they were done more like fritters when I ate them. We like squash in general. We steam it with salt,Pepper onions and butter………always save and freeze the broth, it makes for a great addition to stuff you use broth for.
    Anytime someone in our house is sick, or has sore scratchy throat etc. we break it out instead of chicken or beef broth. The butter in the broth has a great effect helping with the cough etc……and it taste pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    BBQ, I added country ribs in my slow cooker this year for the 19 people I had come over for new years day. All I can tell you is I better get more for next year. Everybody was digging around in the slow cooker looking for more.
    Our slow cooker gets a workout, I’ll bet yours looked like a crime scene after that,lol.

Yea, the wife said you do know your clening this mess, lol. On to 2023, let's all hope for a better year

We get a frozen turkey Breast(7/8 lbs) and stick it in the slow cooker with 1/2 stick of butter and salt and pepper…….stick it in frozen solid on low before bedtime and it’s floating in it’s own juices when you wake up.
    Debone it , shred it and throw it back in its own juices……over mashed potatoes or rice with some green beans and cornbread make for a killer cheap and easy way to feed a crowd. Race track friendly

Nothing new vittle wise, but at a Christmas party, one brought a charcuterie board. I took a cracker, put a piece of good pepperjack cheese, a piece of deer sausage, and topped it off with hot honey! I almost ate all of the deer sausage, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH ROLLER View Post
    On 4m seasoned crow seems to be popular. JS
    Especially among the Rocket contingent for another year ? ?