Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Design Rocket?

Mark Richards mentioned in a post Prairie Dirt Classic article on DOD that they were working on a new design with an engineer, but they were so busy racing they hadn’t had time to work on it. Something to that effect. Anyone know anything about this?

Are the new XR1s being built now a different design?

It was designed back in mid 2021 and was supposed to be tested in 2022 and for sale in 2023. However all that got put on the back burner and the car really hasn't been tested per say. They did test a STD car with the rear changes (pretty radical changes) but don't think its gone much farther then that.

That is the jest of the story. Pretty sure the engineer that designed it, is no longer involved and may have several other engineers doing work on a version of it or a whole new design

Thanks. I have wondered when we would see a new design considering the changes Longhorn has made and how they seem to turn better (excluding Madden).

It’s hard to test enough while simultaneously attempting to run a full national touring schedule. Perhaps it’s time to hire a guy that is exclusively a test driver and have set of tracks of various layouts and lengths and test at em weekly with actual data acquisition installed.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Whats funny is per the rule book the changes they did the back are not legal, so we'll see if they get that changed to be legal if they go on to production with the design. I doubt that configuration will ever see production though

Demand for the XR1 seems to be holding steady according to their welder who has posted milestones on Facebook.

Chassis 1 off the jig on 10/5/2015
    Chassis 1000 on 12/14/2020
    Chassis 1200 on 11/4/2021
    Chassis 1400 on 12/13/2022

Averaging 200 chassis a year

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Demand for the XR1 seems to be holding steady according to their welder who has posted milestones on Facebook.

Chassis 1 off the jig on 10/5/2015
    Chassis 1000 on 12/14/2020
    Chassis 1200 on 11/4/2021
    Chassis 1400 on 12/13/2022

Averaging 200 chassis a year
    There used to be multiple brands with that kind of output. Now we only have 1.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

your right MSR , I wander if any one has any stats like that on long horn going back to there beginning , either way those two have pretty much taken the market ......

Longhorn first car was around 2010 and they were about as competitive as the rocket cars are now…..give them the same amount of time and revisit the numbers in a few years.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

^ they have came a long way since that clipped masterbilt car

I was around, it’s what made me the fan of Epj that I really am today……He could have walked away from all that when it was crappy, but didn’t. Same with some of the longtime longhorners. It’s a cool business story, happy for all of them.

I guess the same can be said about all successful chassis builders and small business owners in general……when you believe in something strong enough and are smart enough and work hard enough dreams really do come true…..I’m sure Mark,Cj and the rest of chassibuilders Mount Rushmore put out a few boat anchors early on.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Brucebilt made a post about an XR2 coming out this year!

Am I understanding correctly that one guy has welded all of their chassis from day one to present? At a couple of hundred a year he must be hellacious fast as well as very good. Wonder if he wears the helmet to bed and to eat and do other necessary chores in life. Sounds like a robot like the Gm, Ford and other factories use.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that one guy has welded all of their chassis from day one to present? At a couple of hundred a year he must be hellacious fast as well as very good. Wonder if he wears the helmet to bed and to eat and do other necessary chores in life. Sounds like a robot like the Gm, Ford and other factories use.
    Scott Purkey has worked at Rocket since day one. He has been going to some races lately as his cousin C J Johnson owns the car that Jacob Hawkins drives.

There isn’t a new design rocket , as of to date. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by drich24 View Post
    Thanks. I have wondered when we would see a new design considering the changes Longhorn has made and how they seem to turn better (excluding Madden).
    What changes have longhorn made?

Scott Purkey has worked at Rocket since day one. He has been going to some races lately as his cousin C J Johnson owns the car that Jacob Hawkins drives C J and Scott i don't think are related. But Scott's now deceased uncle Jim originally bought the car and engine. His part is now owned by his brother Joe . C J came onboard almost immediately .

Rocket has 2023 updates for the XR1 that include RF shock placement, new RF spindle, new RF upper and lower control arms. It requires a new RF tie rod and modification to the rack & pinion as well. They also have added an alternate location for the LR traction shock. Saw this first hand at Volusia as most of the Rocket guys were running the new RF stuff.

Just because you have engineers working with you on chassis design doesn’t mean success. GRT built some chassis that were designed by an engineer with a racing background in the early 90’s and they were pretty much a bust, but it didn’t hurt their success back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin Rebel View Post
    Rocket has 2023 updates for the XR1 that include RF shock placement, new RF spindle, new RF upper and lower control arms. It requires a new RF tie rod and modification to the rack & pinion as well. They also have added an alternate location for the LR traction shock. Saw this first hand at Volusia as most of the Rocket guys were running the new RF stuff.
    The traction shock was relocated on the house car last year. Most of that front end stuff is a real head scratcher. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1