Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

An engineer is only as good as the path he's asked to take.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    An engineer is only as good as the path he's asked to take.
    everybody thinks because rumley is an engineer that be an engineer is the answer. What most don't realize. Kevin rumley is a man born and bread into latemodel racing that baced his how education and career around doing what he loved. He understood the cars long before he learned the math that's what makes him dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    everybody thinks because rumley is an engineer that be an engineer is the answer. What most don't realize. Kevin rumley is a man born and bread into latemodel racing that baced his how education and career around doing what he loved. He understood the cars long before he learned the math that's what makes him dangerous
    This is a great post. The rumley cars have been solid and fast for a very long time.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Exactly. You ask an engineer that's only familiar with suspension in general, he's going to take all the excessive anti squat out of the car. It will race really flat and probably be fast at Macon on a rough night. But, ignoring aero will make it slow as hell.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by stempy View Post
    Scott Purkey has worked at Rocket since day one. He has been going to some races lately as his cousin C J Johnson owns the car that Jacob Hawkins drives C J and Scott i don't think are related. But Scott's now deceased uncle Jim originally bought the car and engine. His part is now owned by his brother Joe . C J came onboard almost immediately .
    Thought I heard Scott was related to one of them. I miss Jim, heckuva nice guy.

all these " new and improved parts " make me think of a chassis builder I dealt with years ago that tried to sell me a new and improved front lower control arm , it looked different at first glance , but after really looking at it , I could not find an advantage , so I ask him strait up what that advantage was , he laughed and said none , but we have to have something to sell , lol , this happens more than folks think .....

Default Not new revisited

Rocket did this some years ago on the blue front cars. It was successful enough they were told to stop . Now that nobody checks wheelbase anymore, someone else is doing it. although not just added on. Hard to spot if not really looking. So rocket drug the idea back out.

Quote Originally Posted by stempy View Post
    Rocket did this some years ago on the blue front cars. It was successful enough they were told to stop . Now that nobody checks wheelbase anymore, someone else is doing it. although not just added on. Hard to spot if not really looking. So rocket drug the idea back out.
    These parts lengthen the right side wheelbase. Wheelbase is typically shortened in an attempt to gain weight transfer.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Default Don't know

Don't know what it's supposed to do . Put one on a couple weeks ago moves rf forward 1 1/2 to 2 inches i didn't measure. possibly 12 or 13 years since they used it on the house car I think they were told it couldn't be used so quickly it might not have been on any other cars.

100 %. i work with aerospace engineers daily and theres some grade DA's out there with a title lol. Like him or not but scotts cars have been built from the seat of his pants mostly. Theres 4 tires and a million ways to get there

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    If I owned Rocket or any chassis builder for that matter, the first thing I would do is have someone go buy a Longhorn, bring it to my shop and figure out exactly what they were doing to win so many races.
    I would not be a bit surprised if that hasn't been secretly done already !

Well I don't think I am the only one on the planet with that idea but it should have been done a few years ago and by now you would think a competing chassis builder would have something better by now.. if that makes sense.
    Did you see the old Fast49 car Kryptonite had for sale last year?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No I did not.
    They did. And now their new cars have the engine sitting in them just the way it does in a Longhorn.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

At one point there was a Swatrz Extreme sitting at the rocket shop.

So I guess you agree with me in studying what is kicking your rear end and see if you can take that knowledge and make your design faster.
    It always worth having a look. Sometimes you can see all you need to apply it, sometimes you can't. It might at least get you thinking of something that can help.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

i always get a kick out of the word engineer,
    while they are numbers and physics guys, you can work on your stuff threw experience too, i laugh when the young guys say, "you cant cut that with out jigging it"
    mad respect to all the engineers out there, but just because you dont have a degree doesnt mean your not a smart guy, i fix engineers mistakes everyday, they finally started to listen to my input because after building what was on the print, then it didnt work, they would ask, hey can we make it work ??? i would say ya, but can we work threw it before we build it next time???

the mis conception that you cant build your own car and win is just wrong, all a chassis is , is a platform to bolt parts on, and make it easy to change set ups fast
    now if you build a car and it works great, now is the time for the jig, so its done the same every time
    just hate todays world of saying you have to be an engineer, what happened to imagination and experience, most of the time the first guy to do it wasnt an engineer, he just did it

i hope there is some young person reading this thats a great welder and fab guy (or gal) and builds one to kick there ass, it can and should be done
    Last edited by grt74; 01-27-2023 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The traction shock was relocated on the house car last year. Most of that front end stuff is a real head scratcher. Lol
    If nothing else it generated revenue from the sale of parts,,,,

So I guess you agree with me in studying what is kicking your rear end and see if you can take that knowledge and make your design faster.
    this has been going on since racing began , and there is no telling how many small chassis builders have had LH,s and XR1,s on there jig ......