Default Any tricks to mount / dismount a pre-loaded spring ?

Anybody know a trick to mount or dismount a pre loaded spring setup (like LR) *without* a spring smasher / unloader attachment ?

Thanks !

That is the biggest reason I got a spring smasher. short of a spring compressor, or some giant c clamp vise grips, I'm short on ideas.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

You'd have to build a hat for the jack. But a bottle jack with some sort of shock mount on the end. Mounted to a rectangular frame with a piece or plate going across that the shock eye runs through. The plate would have a hole in it the size of the spring cup to also slip through, but also catch the spring. You could then jack the bottle jack until the spring and cup release from the rod end and can slip out.

Thanks all.

I thought for sure somebody would have a "life-hack" kinda thing figured out but guess not

The "plate with a hole for the cup but smaller than the spring" is the tricky part. Seems like there'd be an easier way to grab the spring instead ...

This video has a sorta hacky thing that looks like it would work ..

https://youtu.be/icrYWO9O5b8
    Last edited by RacerX10; 02-08-2023 at 04:07 PM.

External spring compressor?

i have some spring compressors to change springs on strutts , you can grind the ears till they will fit in the coil over spring and and do the same as a strut , I did this with a cheap set from harbor freight , i wasnt grinding on my over priced snap on set .......

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    External spring compressor?
    yah might have to go that route. those things make me nervous but i guess these don't really need much compressing.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i have some spring compressors to change springs on strutts , you can grind the ears till they will fit in the coil over spring and and do the same as a strut , I did this with a cheap set from harbor freight , i wasnt grinding on my over priced snap on set .......

I'll check on that, thanks !

Theres usually some used manual Longacre smashers on the racing classifieds!

I remember a video floating around years ago looked like a shop in a third world country. Had two 2x4's on hinges bolted to the wall they were about 6ft long. Put the strut out towards the end and push down and unscrew the nut/bearing. You could rig something similar up and try a couple pieces of angle and put it in the coils of the spring possibly?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=...t%20compressor

funny how our memories work no 2x4's lol

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=...t%20compressor

funny how our memories work no 2x4's lol
    that's pretty slick.

i think i'll just build a spring smasher ... have 2x2 laying around to do it with.