Default Boxcar Longhorns

How many are out there? I know Epj is trying one at Eastbay. Doesnt look to sporty right now though!

I think its pretty funny an old mod guy, Hoffman, been doing it for years!

Whats a boxcar?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Whats a boxcar?
    Prebent and prenotched tubing

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    How many are out there? I know Epj is trying one at Eastbay. Doesnt look to sporty right now though!

I think its pretty funny an old mod guy, Hoffman, been doing it for years!
    Clearly, just winging it would be a better method?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

This is not new concept

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    This is not new concept
    Correct, I believe Eli Whitney gets credit for "inventing" interchangeable parts.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Is this like a kit car?

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    Is this like a kit car?
    No. I'm not sure exactly how Longhorn is doing it but in Hoffmans case he designed and built all the pieces for the first car then disassembled it and sent it all to his vendor they copy all the bends and notches and then from that point on they cnc cut and notch and bend it all for him. So his cars show up in a "box" and he welds them up.

Is the bending process the same in a cnc bender? Will it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Is the bending process the same in a cnc bender? Will it make a difference?
    Their is nothing special about a cnc tubing bender other than speed and repeatability. The tubes are all the exact same everytime. But I can say I've seen chassis designed on a computer and then each piece bent and notched on the machine directly from the cad file. And the fitment and dimensions were perfect

They're all just looking for repeatability from car to car. Swartz even goes as far as welding them the same, this bar first thus second and etc.

They used to say a rocket wasn't it's best till it got cut and new front clip put on

Audie told me that B. Moyer among others would cut the front clip off, re-weld it on before they ever put a new frame together. All kinds of stories to that affect, Boggs had a Car that sat out back in the weeds for years, rusted etc, put it together for some reason and won like 3 Harleys over there at Brushcreek, that car was wicked fast there (Former Tri-oval).

Bart Hartman had a Rocket that he cut the X brace in two, rightside won all kinds of races, a couple big ones at Florence. He had a clamp device he would clamp it when the track had grip, then take if off for a Feature.

One thing i agree with Charlie Swartz on, if you gotta fast car you keep it and race it until its no longer fast. Best car we ever had i sold, and regretted it to this day.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Audie told me that B. Moyer among others would cut the front clip off, re-weld it on before they ever put a new frame together. All kinds of stories to that affect, Boggs had a Car that sat out back in the weeds for years, rusted etc, put it together for some reason and won like 3 Harleys over there at Brushcreek, that car was wicked fast there (Former Tri-oval).Bart Hartman had a Rocket that he cut the X brace in two, rightside won all kinds of races, a couple big ones at Florence. He had a clamp device he would clamp it when the track had grip, then take if off for a Feature.One thing i agree with Charlie Swartz on, if you gotta fast car you keep it and race it until its no longer fast. Best car we ever had i sold, and regretted it to this day.
    Back around maybe 09-10 when the mbh cars were first taking off. Their was a guy in this area that had Somthing like two rear clips and two front clips done in three repairs and he told me every time they clipped it. It got better. I think they still regret selling that car lol

Bloomquist/Sweet cars come in kit form

Who am I but Ill just say if you AREN'T using CAD and buying chassis "in a box" you probably way behind the times already. Cut, bend, notch, grind, fit and tack then finish weld takes skills and welder who takes pride. I'd imagine employee retention is hard in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Who am I but Ill just say if you AREN'T using CAD and buying chassis "in a box" you probably way behind the times already. Cut, bend, notch, grind, fit and tack then finish weld takes skills and welder who takes pride. I'd imagine employee retention is hard in that game.
    Valid point and with the employee retention part. Rocket has had the same guy welding on basically every chassis ever built under the name rocket. That goes along way for consistency