Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knew I’d miss Rick Eshelman, just didn’t know how bad.

Good announcers are rare.

reuben trying to give himself a heart attack during time trials tonite at VSP lol. had to turn the volume down
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

i knew how much he'd be missed.

It's too bad that they did not go with Chris Stephen who did the Dirt Car late models earlier in the week, at least he is knowledgeable about the sport and doesn't yell.

This is a product of WRG. It's what they want, my wife who is not a fan of racing but does not complain when I'm watching. I turn the volume down at the start of any woo race. She asked me last night why I always do that and I told her I don't need to listen to the announcer screaming. Her reply made sense, what do you want him to do ? Read a dialog and sound like a priest. Got to get people excited somehow especially if there new to watching.

Definitely miss Rick but Reuben seems to be improving!

I agree, give Rueben some time. He is only what 23 or 24 and is replacing a Hall of Famer. Our sport needs young blood to survive, whether it is announcers, promotors or fans.

On another note, if you look back on this board even a few years ago, there were posters critizing Rick....his jokes were corny, he gets too excited, his nicknames for the drivers are dumb, etc. Guess what, there is NO PERFECT announcer. Lay off the kid....he will grow on you!

Reuben is doing fine, comparisons to R.E. are way out of bounds. The guy was at it a long long time, Reuben changed a great deal after his departure.

reuben is losing his voice already, sounds thin tonite! #thankgoodness fyi i dont hate reuben just hate any announcer when they yell needlessly. just do your job without the crazy inflections in voice please!
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    It's too bad that they did not go with Chris Stephen who did the Dirt Car late models earlier in the week, at least he is knowledgeable about the sport and doesn't yell.
    This is the first time subscribing to DIRTVision and was pleasantly surprised with Chris Stephen announcing. The guy gets it! He does a great job with no screaming, no repetitive sayings that gets old really fast, and no auctioneer sponsor shout outs. The guy will mention the main sponsors with the drivers name and no addition of the worn out nicknames. It was refreshing hearing someone doing their job and doing it well without trying to be the “show”. He keeps it simple, clear, and concise.

Bring in Ralph Shaheen

^^^Thought you disliked NASCRAP?

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    ^^^Thought you disliked NASCRAP?
    He isn’t NASCAR. He was the voice of the World of Outlaws. He has done NHRA. lots of superbike and super cross as well

Most of them stink. Ken Squiers and Ralph Shaheens don't grow on trees.

The local East Bay announcer is as good or better than most of the national and regional announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    Most of them stink. Ken Squiers and Ralph Shaheens don't grow on trees. The local East Bay announcer is as good or better than most of the national and regional announcers.
    So true👍 BMX announcers are normally very good. I’d like to see one of them call a stock car race

Ralph is a good guy for hype but he don't know jack about the drivers or the cars in general. Reuben at least has note cars like James and Rick to write down info needed for the drivers. The absolute best announcer I've ever heard is Chuck Greenslate from PRP. He doesn't get excited about much and can tell you everything about the driver and his car. He even goes the extra step to tell you what the driver does for a living.

Ozzie Altman was one of the greatest. Unfortunately he is in a nursing /rehab facility since his massive stroke in 2018. He was the voice of the Hav-A-Tampa series.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Ralph is a good guy for hype but he don't know jack about the drivers or the cars in general. Reuben at least has note cars like James and Rick to write down info needed for the drivers. The absolute best announcer I've ever heard is Chuck Greenslate from PRP. He doesn't get excited about much and can tell you everything about the driver and his car. He even goes the extra step to tell you what the driver does for a living.
    If it was his job I'll bet he'd know a lot about the drivers and cars.

I hear quite a few local track announcers that are a lot better than national and regional series announcers.

If we voted on our favorites I'll almost guarantee they'd be guys who don't scream and don't tell awful jokes and don't find it necessary to give every driver an inane nickname.
    Last edited by jr29; 02-18-2023 at 08:59 AM.

Agree, Rick was a great announcer. Give Reuben a break, it's his 1st full season as the main guy in the booth and developing his own style in the process. It may not work for everyone and that honestly is ok in my mind as long as he's being honest in his presentation, enunciates clearly and shows an unbiased view.

There are times when I too turn the sound down on the other broadcasts. I want to hear a clean description about the race, which I think Reuben delivers. Race announcers like everyone else get excited at times - for me the key to that is using words to describe the action on the track vs an 'ooohhh' or an 'aaaaahhhrrrgggghhh' ...

I don't want to go to the chuckle hut or re-live & rehash the hall of fame years and hear the same 20 sponsor, 3 address description when introducing a driver.

Reubens doing fine. Give the kid a break, its his 1st full season. That announcing gig isnt a easy job!!