Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Tires

Default Flat Tires

Congrats to Smokey on the win last night. I can't recall ever seeing so many tires shredded by debris on a track. I remember a daytime World Finals about a decade ago when the big block mods had every car but one in the field burn off a right rear, but that was due to track conditions, not debris.

It was kind of a bummer to see what was a good race turn into the punctured tire lottery.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to red flag the race as soon as they realized they likely had a severe debris issue. Letting them keep circling under caution probably flattened more than half the tires. At that point, part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to give the positions back to those who punctured tires.

But then the other part of me says there were guys who didn't pop tires, so they don't deserve to be punished. It seems more of a dumb luck than a skill thing that they didn't.

I just know I'd be pretty pissed that I put two-three tires on and lost a decent payday because the track crew missed a hatchet in the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
    Congrats to Smokey on the win last night. I can't recall ever seeing so many tires shredded by debris on a track. I remember a daytime World Finals about a decade ago when the big block mods had every car but one in the field burn off a right rear, but that was due to track conditions, not debris.It was kind of a bummer to see what was a good race turn into the punctured tire lottery.Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to red flag the race as soon as they realized they likely had a severe debris issue. Letting them keep circling under caution probably flattened more than half the tires. At that point, part of me thinks the right thing to do would have been to give the positions back to those who punctured tires.But then the other part of me says there were guys who didn't pop tires, so they don't deserve to be punished. It seems more of a dumb luck than a skill thing that they didn't.I just know I'd be pretty pissed that I put two-three tires on and lost a decent payday because the track crew missed a hatchet in the track.
    Definitely not the preferred situation for the teams or the series. I heard in one of the interviews they said that it was Somthing stuck in the track right under the flag stand in the main Groove. Not Defending anyone but that is not a typical place in the racetrack where that happens. I can't remember the particular race maybe the north/ south but I can remember a similar situation during one of the bigger races

I went up to the Pittsburgher in 2020. RTJ won the race and I believe was the only one of the starting field that didn't change a tire. There were cars already pulling in to change flats by lap 40.

Went to the Blue-Grey that year too. Overton changed his RR on lap 60 and Madden stayed out to protect the lead. Made it to lap 93 when the RR finally quit. I think all starters changed at least one tire that day.

I helped a team at the 2022 Blue-Grey....think we changed all four that day. What a mess.
    "Ain't it good to be alive and raisin' hell in Tennessee!" - Dusty Rhodes (1988)

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I went up to the Pittsburgher in 2020. RTJ won the race and I believe was the only one of the starting field that didn't change a tire. There were cars already pulling in to change flats by lap 40.

Went to the Blue-Grey that year too. Overton changed his RR on lap 60 and Madden stayed out to protect the lead. Made it to lap 93 when the RR finally quit. I think all starters changed at least one tire that day.

I helped a team at the 2022 Blue-Grey....think we changed all four that day. What a mess.
    I've seen plenty of races where they burn the tires off the cars too. Just not one where debris takes out half the field under caution.

Kentucky Lake Speedway had the tire problem one year. Someone said the track was full of screws that were in something that they put on the track. I never did get the whole story on that one.

The big feature that night was a "Flat Fest"...
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

It was a piece of metal sticking up (unfortunately)

They had eyes on the track during those yellow flag laps. 1 way radios, they more than likely told the drivers to look for anything on track. It's happened many times where you will see a driver stop on track until someone arrives so he can show the official what he see's. He always gets his spot back?

Default Klms

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Kentucky Lake Speedway had the tire problem one year. Someone said the track was full of screws that were in something that they put on the track. I never did get the whole story on that one.

The big feature that night was a "Flat Fest"...
    One year to help the track hold moisture they put a bunch of crushed gypsum board on the track.
    screws came from that.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    One year to help the track hold moisture they put a bunch of crushed gypsum board on the track.
    screws came from that.
    who was the genius behind that project?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    screws came from that.
    That is what I heard, but I didn't want to come out with it since I wasn't sure. The gypsum board would draw moisture for sure.

Yeah those purple guys had a smile on there faces bigger than the grinch did when he stole x mas....

Those "purple guys" love a hard dry slick track also!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Those "purple guys" love a hard dry slick track also!!!!
    They sell more tires if guys are bolting on the softies. That's why they brought the LM10, (NLMT1) back.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Klms was when Sherrie Heckenast had it. Was Lucas finale cost don O’Neal the title.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    They sell more tires if guys are bolting on the softies. That's why they brought the LM10, (NLMT1) back.
    Most teams said their tire bill for Florida nearly doubled this year. Sounds like hoosier has fixed their cash flow issues to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Most teams said their tire bill for Florida nearly doubled this year. Sounds like hoosier has fixed their cash flow issues to me lol
    None of those take offs littering the pits were good enough for a guy to take home either. Hoosier won twice.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Getting tires (soft ones) burnt off on a dirt track is a bad deal all around. It's really tough on the low budget guy, the high dollar teams not so much.

Tacky tracks of the past had the street classes keeping tires so much longer than now. Any class as far as that goes.

None of those take offs littering the pits were good enough for a guy to take home either. Hoosier won twice.
    Yep I know teams that would race all year on used Florida tires. Not this year

Is TRUMP GONNA GET THE BLAME FOR THIS OR LETS GO BRANDON?

Boom says we need all 4 tire options all year long
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....