Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did 25 supers leave tonight?? Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    That's exactly what they should say to them! It's not the fans' fault that they suck and drag show on until the wee hours of the morning. Or run all of the headline division show first, then the support divisions can crash each other until the sun comes up and nobody will care.
    So what fun is a race track with lots of fans but no race cars? I would say that is no different than a race track with lots of racers but no fans would it not?

Bottom line is everyone has to understand the other guys point of view. A promoter cant cater 100% to the racers, nor can he cater 100% to the fans.

Seems to me, from your tone, you feel the racers OWE you something, and they are 100% subservient to you demands alone.

Kinda sounds self centered to me.

Quote Originally Posted by usac7 View Post
    So what fun is a race track with lots of fans but no race cars? I would say that is no different than a race track with lots of racers but no fans would it not?

Bottom line is everyone has to understand the other guys point of view. A promoter cant cater 100% to the racers, nor can he cater 100% to the fans.

Seems to me, from your tone, you feel the racers OWE you something, and they are 100% subservient to you demands alone.

Kinda sounds self centered to me.
    The drivers in the support divisions are self-centered. I'm not a driver. Spinning all by themselves 5 times a night and holding up the program is as self-centered as you can get! When you're running in last place and getting lapped your only job is to not spin. I would pay more to not have a to sit through 6 junker divisions. Or to have them all run last.

"I would pay more to not have a to sit through 6 junker divisions. Or to have them all run last."

That was my point earlier...I would gladly pay $5 or $10 more for a big show, if it only had one or two divisions. I could be wrong, but I think most longtime dirt track fans feel this way!!!

^ you'd pay 20 to 30 dollars more spending as much time there as they can squeeze out of ya.

Big shows shouldn't have more than 3 divisions. There's a time limit these days people want to sit, even baseball looking at ways make game under faster.

6 divisions on any night ridiculous! Promoters need to learn how to promote and get sponsors etc to help with purses. If Promoters run fast efficient well maintained surface with reasonable gate and concessions they can pack the house weekly. As a driver of a support division I Do Not want to be at track from 3pm to 2am, too long day. Remember you had to get racecar and everything loaded then travel time as well both directions.

Never should a good track run same divisions with different rules, confuses fans and water's down the thrill. 604, 602, sportsman, etc. They all look and sound alike. Variety keeps it interesting and makes fans wanna come back.

Quote Originally Posted by usac7 View Post
    So a track that runs weekly with support classes, holds a big regional or national series is supposed to say to their loyal weekly racers *don't come to our big race, stay home, we don't want you here because you are boring and the fans hate you?"
    Most tracks will only have a couple of those regional/national events per year. Leaving your least popular classes off the schedule two or three times per year — when they have 25-30 weekends they can run — is in no way an insult towards them. Not even close. When those super late model special events are held, most of the fans are there to see them. That’s why 90% of the crowd leaves after the Super feature ends. And for the record, I don’t hate support classes, or find them boring. I just don’t want to be stuck watching them til midnight. Or much later at some tracks.

"Most tracks will only have a couple of those regional/national events per year. Leaving your least popular classes off the schedule two or three times per year — when they have 25-30 weekends they can run — is in no way an insult towards them. Not even close. When those super late model special events are held, most of the fans are there to see them. That’s why 90% of the crowd leaves after the Super feature ends. And for the record, I don’t hate support classes, or find them boring. I just don’t want to be stuck watching them til midnight. Or much later at some tracks."

Terry, could not have said it any better. My same sentiments. I enjoy watching racing in the support divisions (I have seen quite a few "barn burners" over the years with the Street Stocks etc) but whe the National/Regional races come to my tracks, I am there to see the Big Dogs that night!

I would only add this, when you tell your weekly racers to go somewhere else while you run your big show once or twice a year, will those guys you rely on to pay your bills be inclined to come back the next week?

Tracks run a weekly show to pay their bills, and run specials to put profit in their pocket.

A smart track owner is not going to bite the hand that pays the bills just for a couple of extra dollars of profit on the big shows.

Another thread also on this theme asked the question of max number of divisions.
    I have to ask which is better.....

Track 1 has 3 divisions,
    They have 100 cars, 33 in each class.
    They have 3 heats per class
    They have a B main for each class
    And they have a feature for each class

Track 2 has 6 classes
    They too have 100 cars in the pits
    4 classes draw for start and run a feature only
    1 class has 2 heats and a feature
    And 1 class qualifies and runs a feature.

So track 1 has 9 heats, 3 B mains and 3 features
    Track 2 has 1 qualifying session, 2 heats and 6 features.

Track 1 at the end of the night has 3 winners and 99 losers
    Track 2 at the end of the night has 6 winners and 94 losers

With 6 classes you can tighten the rules so that each competitor feels they are on a more equal footing with those they are racing with.

With 3 classes you have to open the rules and many of the competitors will know that they have no real chance of winning with the equipment they have.

In the end racers want nothing more than the opportunity to compete for the win. 6 classes gives them better odds of being competitive than 3 classes.

I guess my main issue is with how the fans in the stands do not fully understand why the racer races. Many fans think it is about their enjoyment and nothing else. That racers should put on a show, and if the fans dont like the SHOW well then it is the racer's fault.

From my perspective, racers want to compete. We want to do our best every time we hit the track. We want to outrun every other car on the track. We are motivated to do our best possible at every moment. We want to WIN.
    Frankly as a racer, I wanted to have the fastest car in hot laps, I wanted to set quick time in qualifying, I wanted to win our heat race by more than a straightaway, and I wanted to start on the pole of the feature, and lap the feild. I get it, that would be a boring SHOW, but that was our goal every Saturday night. We never accomplished that, but we did set fast time, start on the pole, led every lap, and lapped everyone up to fifth place, and no, I am not sorry one bit that we did not put on an exciting SHOW for the fans.

Take away our ability or incentive to win, then frankly what's the point of even being there?

I go to a number of racers as a fan in the stands, and I to a degree understand the perspectives expressed here, I just have the added perspective of being on the other side too.