Thread: Rear end toe

Default Rear end toe

Are the rear ends square or built with some toe in already in them nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    They are supposed to be square and no toe, however I have seen a few messed up from the factory where the bells tube hole was machined crooked and toe was off and it really messed up that car until he found it (very rare I would say but can happen)

Now a used rear end, pretty common to bend a snout and nobody catch it.

IMO the easiest way to check it is: set rear end out of car on ground with 2 tires on it, and put a tape measure from tread to tread and rotate the pinion up and over in a full circle while looking at tape. 1/8" is acceptable and more then 1/4" needs to be addressed. This will measure out of square in all directions, toe and camber changes or any direction the rear/tube/snout is bent.

If you have to run a bent rear, toed out is way way better then toed in. I can tell you that for sure.

I should also add, it's pretty common for the RR tube to bend upwards adding camber to the RR tire (not toe in this case) from being used and ran a lot. This won't mess up the car no where near as bad as the actual front to rear toe will if it's bent that direction.

So far measuring with setup plates bolted on it's toed in 1/8" and has .3 degrees of camber in the RR. I will see if we can try your way and confirm. Thanks Billet

I've personally seen more bent bells than tubes especially since the one Ton stuff has become common

Read an article last year about Bloomer helping develop the Devilbiss modified. He said Zane didnt know anything about putting toe in the rearend, or how much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    With all the axle wrap a DLM sees I would think any amount of toe would be unsettling to performance. Camber might be doable, but toe, especially toe-in would be awful, like some others have pointed out.