Default Daylight Savings Time

With the yearly debate about Daylight Savings Time and California's brutal winter maybe Bob Crabbe, our local political cartoonist, has a good take on it today.

"We the people of the state of California , having suffered the slings and arrows of the winter of 2023, do hereby petition the governor to rivise Daylight Saving Time, allowing us to reset clocks to the month of June."

From one extreme to another. I feel bad the people who have had to endure this streak of bad weather.

GUVNUH Newson warned you all of white people made Climate Change!!!!!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

The lakes and reservoirs are filling. Water supplies are replenishing. In a few more weeks we'll all hear how bad the drought is and how much in peril the California water supply is.

This from a state that made such a point of tearing down existing dams and impoundment areas and letting so much fresh water flow out to the seas unabated. Because of some smelt or something like that.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Glaziers from North and South pole are disappearing but water levels keep rising????

Did they fail basic chemistry??? smh

The state has more than our share of dams and reservoirs and California's water is much more complicated than most of the country. This is due, in part, to the rainy season in much of the state being highly concentrated to only a few months as well as our dependence on the snow pack in my northern part of the state, with much of the water from it going to the desert that is southern CA.

In addition much of the supply is owned and controlled by private parties, many of whom have gotten very wealthy on this. My Mother worked several years for a guy in the early '60s when we came to CA. He owned water companies all over CA. To put it mildly she was astonished by the complexity of the whole system. In our home state of Ohio I don't remember ever hearing about a shortage of water, probably because the rain never seemed to take a break all year. I suspect many of your home states are in that same boat.

The rivers are a whole book length conversation in themselves. Even with all the water this winter/spring has produced as of today the state's salmon season on them has been cancelled since the diminished salmon population from several years of drought won't be able to make it up river to spawn. Accordingly, several dams decades old that weren't well planned are, or will be, demolished.

Any of you out of state Monday morning quarterbacks that have the answers to the water problem would be advised to make yourselves rich by solving the situation for us...or shut up and worry about your own states problems. Noone lives in a perfect place.

Why are dams being torn down in California????? Are they being replaced by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    The state has more than our share of dams and reservoirs and California's water is much more complicated than most of the country. This is due, in part, to the rainy season in much of the state being highly concentrated to only a few months as well as our dependence on the snow pack in my northern part of the state, with much of the water from it going to the desert that is southern CA.

In addition much of the supply is owned and controlled by private parties, many of whom have gotten very wealthy on this. My Mother worked several years for a guy in the early '60s when we came to CA. He owned water companies all over CA. To put it mildly she was astonished by the complexity of the whole system. In our home state of Ohio I don't remember ever hearing about a shortage of water, probably because the rain never seemed to take a break all year. I suspect many of your home states are in that same boat.

The rivers are a whole book length conversation in themselves. Even with all the water this winter/spring has produced as of today the state's salmon season on them has been cancelled since the diminished salmon population from several years of drought won't be able to make it up river to spawn. Accordingly, several dams decades old that weren't well planned are, or will be, demolished.

Any of you out of state Monday morning quarterbacks that have the answers to the water problem would be advised to make yourselves rich by solving the situation for us...or shut up and worry about your own states problems. Noone lives in a perfect place.
    It’s a beautiful state everywhere I’ve ever been in it, and you’re right…..no state has it perfected and they all do dumb sheet.

Is the whole reverse osmosis thing just too expensive to be a viable option, why has nobody gone all Elon musk on some salt water option and figured it out for potability and agricultural usage?

We love the Lake Tahoe area, sorry it sux to live there right now….we live in a beautiful area that people love to visit too but it sux for the residents when we get whacked with hurricanes etc….prayers going out to all of you guys that it goes as well as it can for everyone.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

B.J., Some of the dams being removed are in locations that just don't work for water storage; i.e. sparce population, not conducive to water release that would do much good, habitat for many disappearing species such as certain foxes, wolves, bears, fish etc..etc. Some that never got built such as one near Auburn have been talked about since I moved to the area in 1985 but would displace historic sites such as where Sutter discovered gold in 1849, not to mention burying under 100s of feet of water one of the most scenic drives through canyons that you ever saw (also cutting off my 40 minute tow

to Placerville Speedway and turning it into 2 1/2 hours of big city traffic.) Another thing, even the largest dams have to release water some time. With the torrential rains the last few weeks such dams as Oroville, a few miles from Chico's Silver Dollar Speedway, famous about 5 years ago for starting to fail and causing evacuations of 200,000 people and $1 billion dollars of repair work, are currently releasing 15,000 gallons per second to head south through the mid state agricultural area and down to L.A., neither of which need the stuff right now. Folsom Dam is "only" releasing something like 8,000 GPS. Several others are doing it too.

BBBoy, My whole family feels as you do about Lake Tahoe. It's a short hour ride from our ranch to some of the clearest blue water on earth. My son and his wife even tied the knot on one of the piers there many years ago and they spend a lot of weekends up there, sun or snow, when he should be home in the shop helping the old man with the race cars. San Diego has had the desalinization plants down there for a couple of decades but it's just too dang expensive until you have no other options. That end of the state is pure desert once you get inland only a few miles. And you sure don't want to get water from the Tijuana River. Makes me gag like thinking about drinking the water right from the Mississippi just before it dumps into the Gulf. Wish I had the answers...or someone did.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    From one extreme to another. I feel bad the people who have had to endure this streak of bad weather.
    ''why feel bad? Weather. All weather is part of experience of existence!! cause if you feel bad for humans enduring extreme harsh weather YOU might as well feel sorry for all other creatures of nature that are not ''Human'' that deat with it MORE than SOME ''Humuens'' Do! AGIAN its all part of the experience here on planet earth !''

Animals don’t whine much, they just stick their asses towards the wind , dig in and ride it out.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Glaziers from North and South pole are disappearing but water levels keep rising????

Did they fail basic chemistry??? smh
    I learned that from “fun facts “ in the Sunday paper comic page when I was a youngin’ !

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    B.J., Some of the dams being removed are in locations that just don't work for water storage; i.e. sparce population, not conducive to water release that would do much good, habitat for many disappearing species such as certain foxes, wolves, bears, fish etc..etc. Some that never got built such as one near Auburn have been talked about since I moved to the area in 1985 but would displace historic sites such as where Sutter discovered gold in 1849, not to mention burying under 100s of feet of water one of the most scenic drives through canyons that you ever saw (also cutting off my 40 minute tow

to Placerville Speedway and turning it into 2 1/2 hours of big city traffic.) Another thing, even the largest dams have to release water some time. With the torrential rains the last few weeks such dams as Oroville, a few miles from Chico's Silver Dollar Speedway, famous about 5 years ago for starting to fail and causing evacuations of 200,000 people and $1 billion dollars of repair work, are currently releasing 15,000 gallons per second to head south through the mid state agricultural area and down to L.A., neither of which need the stuff right now. Folsom Dam is "only" releasing something like 8,000 GPS. Several others are doing it too.

BBBoy, My whole family feels as you do about Lake Tahoe. It's a short hour ride from our ranch to some of the clearest blue water on earth. My son and his wife even tied the knot on one of the piers there many years ago and they spend a lot of weekends up there, sun or snow, when he should be home in the shop helping the old man with the race cars. San Diego has had the desalinization plants down there for a couple of decades but it's just too dang expensive until you have no other options. That end of the state is pure desert once you get inland only a few miles. And you sure don't want to get water from the Tijuana River. Makes me gag like thinking about drinking the water right from the Mississippi just before it dumps into the Gulf. Wish I had the answers...or someone did.
    Well, that covers my question and more. lol