Default Talladega Update-2023

So much positivity coming from my beloved Talladega Short Track in the little burg in Eastaboga, Alabama. This post will be all over the place and in no order by any means.

* The off season before the highly successful Ice Bowl and afterwards. My atta boy to a long-time friend, co-worker and now boss Adam Stewart. We worked together at Green Valley and it is a honor to be his announcer at TST again, 10 years.
    During the off season in October, November, and December there was so much work weather permitting that might not be seen, could have been seen and obvious to the naked eye. Work was done on the infrastructure. Drainage, wiring, grading and such. I get to go there in my work travels twice a week to see progress.

So after the Ice Bowl things got busy. Folks have had concerns on some areas, and they have been heard and answered. Pit booths, ticket booths, concessions have all been either entirely replaced or renovated. Lights all thru the facility have been changed, we are well lit at TST, Climate controlled bathrooms are in place. Added parking, new signs thru out the grounds have been replaced and look spiffy, did I just say spiffy? Entrance signs look tight and right.

Now the track folks. For years the fans have asked for a change in the dirt, we did it. The top of the track to the tune of 10 to 12 inches was taken off as it was laden with rubber. It was tired and hopeless to prepare. A local source was found. It took about a couple hundred truckload to resurface the track. I have personally had that dirt in my hands, some good clay. We had it analyzed by some dirt experts from a highly-regarded university here in Bama to see what the alkaline and other properties are in this clay. It is much darker than the other clay.

The clay taken off the track was laid on the go-cart track and spread thru the back pits. Also the tree line that lined the interstate has been whacked and visibility is incredible from I-20. Signage is a coming.

TST also spent a huge wad to have a concrete wall put in turns 1 and 2, it is bad a$$.

We had our first practice on it last Saturday and we shattered the record for car counts as we had 115 cars! The banking and turns were altered to help side-by-side action, it sure did! We are throwing the kitchen sink at TST to make it better.

The schedule, sheez is it good. We will have after a near decade the World of Outlaw Sprints in the house on March 24. Regular season get's rolling on April 1st for our 24 race season. The big one however is Nascar weekend when the WoO Late Models come in for 2 $4-Granders on Friday and the ALABAMA GANG 100 paying a TST and State record $50,000-to-win, The card also has the USCS Winged Sprints and only 1 other division on the bill.

Other visits will have 4 Crate Racing Touring Series, Hunt to the Front, Iron Man, Topless Outlaw and many other specials dotted thru out the season. We run the best run shows in Bama starting when it is hot with the 1st car to hot lap and 7 and getting done by 10:30.

Coolers are very welcome, just no glass. TST is going to rock it in 2023!

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

glad to hear of the investments. i hope the new dirt produces sid by side racing. if i may ask what is the new banking for the track?
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

Got the trees down the state troopers will have to keep the traffic clear like they did up at the old atomic in Knoxville.

Will find out the degree of banking, looks like 18 to 20.

LMM

Mark, Did you get them to make it into another Ascot??? LOL

Really looking forward to making the trip down for the WOO weekend in April…

I hope it turns out better than Green Valley you all took a good race track and ruined it so will see if this turns out any better cause your track record ain't to good.

3 wide you do realize late model mark is an employee right ? I don't know why you are venting about something he has no control over. Hearing a track is putting money back into a facility sounds like there trying to make improvements for racers and fans both

Sounds like a lot of improvements to me. New dirt may take a season to mature into a good racing though. Best of luck to the track fans and track workers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    I hope it turns out better than Green Valley you all took a good race track and ruined it so will see if this turns out any better cause your track record ain't to good.
    no track is ever really ruined , as long as its still there , it can be fixed , what ruined green valley is when it was sold to a developer and torn down , which is what ruins a lot of tracks ......

No one can say that Adam is not trying, look at the investment that has been made. I just hope he continues to bring in the big boys. Will any of the Lucas guys run the WoO next month?
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

Well I went to a lot of races at gree Valley a lot and they just ran later an later I left one night at 230 am and they hadn't run the feature that is why they couldn't draw a crowd because they could not get the races ran plus they had a good backer they would even run out of food in the concession stand and then when they redesigned the track it really went down hill,

Wish I could come and see all of this at the Legendary TST, but I'm almost a thousand miles away!!!

Not many tracks will admit that their clay is too full of rubber!!! Good luck sir!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!