Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XR $100,000 Volunteer

$100,000 to win in March is a pretty big deal. Who’s going? How many cars and who wins?

Looks like Mother Nature is goi g to win again!

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Looks like Mother Nature is goi g to win again!
    The race is next week, right?

Yes-Friday and Saturday

Google Bulls Gap, Tennessee weather.
    I realize forecast are not accurate and can change.
    Rain starting Thursday night-Friday morning then again Friday night & Saturday till noon.

Hope it happens since I am 25 minutes away- been a dry spell since a month of racing in Florida!🏁🏁

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Google Bulls Gap, Tennessee weather.
    I realize forecast are not accurate and can change.
    Rain starting Thursday night-Friday morning then again Friday night & Saturday till noon.
    Yeah Watch it daily and watch how many times it changes between now and then. It's pointless to put any faith in any forecast more than 2-3 days out and even then it can change completely!

There’s 100,000 to win at Bulls gap. This is the first I have heard of it.

been on the schedule for months, you should go!
    Everybody Love Everybody!
    Spumoni!
    4m trolls are so sad....

GR Smith is going to win it 😜

Mac daddy should win that….hope he’s going.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

BBQ
    It’s on his schedule as well as the Kyle Larso 20k to win onThursday April 6.(before Bristol NASCAR)

My first experience watching a race from the infield of bulls gap was when DMac won it in a rout back in the day…..I had never seen anything like that.
    And then the next day we followed the tour to tazewell and that was another holy sheet moment….race got rained out but I walked down in the pits before it did to look at some of the local guys and I couldn’t believe the incline walking up and out.
    Then the best part was watching them pull the race cars out of the infield and getting airborn as they crested the exit……some would do a few laps around the infield to get enough speed and momentum to get the rig out……they all didn’t make it on their first attempts, one of the craziest things ever seen at a racetrack.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Both tracks are very near me. I was at the very first race at Volunteer in 1973. Danny Burkes from Richlands, Va. won it ironically in car #73. When Volunteer was first built it was a showplace. The closet dirt track was in Rogersville -Dave’s Crockett Speedway. They had an agreement to alternate Friday/Saturday nights ever other weekend. After a few months: Volunteer said “to heck with you” we are running every Saturday-do whatever you want. This was the beginning to the end of Dave’s Crockett. I started racing 2 weeks after graduation from high school. Raced at both as well as TAZ, Atomic in Knoxville, Eythe, Riverside in SC, small dirt track in Wilksboro, NC a few others and 1 asphalt race in Corbin, Ky. I won at Corbin in my only asphalt start- but didn’t win enough to pay for my wheels/tires I purchased to race asphalt.
    Competed at TAZ, Volunteer mainly for 5 years before giving it up. Cost got crazy for a college kid with a part time job racing out of my parents basement.
    BBQ’s account of TAZ is very true. I’ve seen a little of everything there over the last 47 years. Sadly/honestly: nothing has changed at TAZ during that time. Same seating, control tower, concession stand, bathrooms (or lack thereof). The place is packed every time they open the gates. The only money spent is on new dirt and painting the concrete wall on the outer side of the track. With the welded pipe serving as inside guardrail-I am surprised they can obtain insurance. On one side of it is the track- other side is the haulers for lower divisions.
    Sadly they don’t race super’s on their regular program.
    I think the reason WOO and LUCAS quit scheduling races there: the touring teams complained about lack of pit area and the curvy steep roads leading into the track from US HWY 25-E.
    These were fair complaints but my honest oppionion ( which is worth absolutely nothing) is that a high percentage of the drivers were afraid of “ The Bad Fast TAZ.”
    Several years ago at The now Atomic Raceway in Ohio, (KC at that time)while killing time during the afternoon I asked Bloomquist: if your car is right & the track is right what track is the most difficult. After giving it some thought-his response was Tazewell and Knoxville, Iowa. ( Knoxviile because of the sheer speed)
    You have to wear your big boys underwear to hold your breath and get on the wheel at TAZ!
    I love the place for super late models- facilities suck- and in recent years as the cars have gotten bigger/wider they can’t race side by side as much.
    For anyone who has never been- I recommend putting it on your bucket list when super late models are there- it’s a fast place and different than most any track out there.
    FWIW: Fridd bologna sandwiches are pretty decent if you like hillbilly steak!

Are Volunteer, Bulls Gap, and Tazwell all referring to the same track? Watching youtube videos, all 3 look the same.

After some googling, it looks like Volunteer and Bulls Gap are the same place, and Tazwell is a different track?

Quote Originally Posted by Minny Lakes View Post
    Are Volunteer, Bulls Gap, and Tazwell all referring to the same track? Watching youtube videos, all 3 look the same.After some googling, it looks like Volunteer and Bulls Gap are the same place, and Tazwell is a different track?
    Yes, two different tracks. Volunteer Speedway is in Bulls Gap, TN. Tazewell Speedway is in Tazewell, TN.

Sooner or later they will realize you can't race in Tennessee in March its either raining or cold the last 2 years all they have done is canceled races look at this year and this coming weekend ain't much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Sooner or later they will realize you can't race in Tennessee in March its either raining or cold the last 2 years all they have done is canceled races look at this year and this coming weekend ain't much better.
    Yep. I have lived in East TN my whole life and growing up going to Atomic, Tazewell, Bull's Gap, Cleveland, Smoky Mountain, 411, etc....and I can tell you that I almost never "plan" on going to a race in March. The weather is just too unpredictable.

moved to next month

New dates are April 14/15- Friday/Saturday