Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That’s 4 big $ races for The Gap in 10 days.
    April 6- 20k
    April 11-10k
    April 14/15- 100 k

BBQ, I've been to Tazewell several times and yes some people can't even climb back out of the infiled even when it's packed and not muddy! That track is the steepest I've ever seen.

One night it rained and after packing the track and lining up on the straightaway some of the cars slide down a bit on a dead stop. lol
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 03-21-2023 at 08:25 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

When I say they were airborne coming out of the pits I’m not exaggerating…..the tow vehicles were literally off the ground and then they had to jam the brakes to keep from sliding it into something once out of that bowl……it was worth sticking around for and watching.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Very good wrte up about Tazewell on post #14 foxfire, you nailed it very well.

Recent years have seen the racing slow a bit although still extremely fast as they have let it go dryslick over being tacky as a rule. In ways seeing the track get so blackslick can be dangerous as if you blow a motor or radiator going into a turn it can cause a hell of a crash up as at those speeds the cars can not go under or above the wreck that the fluids cause.

I wish I lived near that place. The speed of all divsions makes all classes exciting to see.

For sure many drivers get pretty nervous driving that track in a crowd. you can sometimes have nothing left of your car but a steering wheel. lol

I hope to go back to Tazewell again one of these days. My racing buddy of 40 years passed away and now it's hard to even think about going to any track. He was 22 years older than me.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 03-21-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Very good wrte up about Tazewell on post #14 foxfire, you nailed it very well.

Recent years have seen the racing slow a bit although still extremely fast as they have let it go dryslick over being tacky as a rule. In ways seeing the track get so blackslick can be dangerous as if you blow a motor or radiator going into a turn it can cause a hell of a crash up as at those speeds the cars can not go under or above the wreck that that fluids cause.

I wish I lived near that place. The speed of all divsions makes all classes exciting to see.

For sure many drivers get pretty nervous driving that track in a crowd. you can sometimes have nothing left of your car but a steering wheel. lol

I hope to go back to Tazewell again one of these days. My racing buddy of 40 years passed away and now it's hard to even think about going to any track. He was 22 years older than me.
    I'm sure you can find more buddies.

Tazewell is one of my favorite tracks just because it's so fast and so unique.

I've always wanted to make the trip down to experience the place but over the latter years I've never heard the words Tazewell and great race mentioned in the same sentence.
    8/13/16

That is always the risk you take driving a long ways and then being disappointed because the track was in bad shape and the racing wound up not very good.

I went there one time and the racing was second to none, the other two times it got slick and was very much one laned. But the speed was an awesome sight.

I was glad I went though, it is quite a place.

Well when Ed Turner owned the gap it was real good they worked the track put new clay on it when needed turned the track under at least once a week and sometimes twice the same thing happpen at the Taz when John Thompson owned it they worked the track and took care of it.Its all about who owns the track.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Well when Ed Turner owned the gap it was real good they worked the track put new clay on it when needed turned the track under at least once a week and sometimes twice the same thing happpen at the Taz when John Thompson owned it they worked the track and took care of it.Its all about who owns the track.
    I ask Ed one day, what was his largest field for a regular Saturday night, he grinned an said, 55 late models, always was a 50 lap,$2000.00 to win, an John was the best too, he loved the sport, an had what it took 🏁

So very true…
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Ed was a good promoter but his downfall was when his grandson(or son) Mitch started racing. Lots of things changed including Ed pulling a gun on a competitor in Mitch’s class. Kinda reminds me of Ashton/Gary Winger in todays world! Of course the IRS tax deal forced Turner into selling the track.
    With current TAZ owner Gary Hall being an ex racer-it’s kinda disappointing that he doesn’t have the same energy/enthusiasm as John Thompson had. John had the passion to give the local fans/drivers an entertainment venue every Saturday night!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    You are right Thompson did a great job the night I was there. He even helped shovel dry dirt on wet spots on the track that night, because it rained and they had to get the track back in shape to race.

With all the traction that night they could pass anywhere on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I've always wanted to make the trip down to experience the place but over the latter years I've never heard the words Tazewell and great race mentioned in the same sentence.
    Watching tazwell in person is always great IMO. It's the only race track that I've been too where it's hard to keep up with the leaders, especially if they are in lapped traffic. It reminded me of a higher banked Macon in person. The last race I went to there was in 2020.

We watched from the infield which made it even more intense. The track had a lot of rocks in it that night, which led to a lot of cut tires. It seems they have fixed that problem since then

Just gonna come out and say it…they could have raced this weekend. I know that’s easy to say now when you can see a pretty definite 24-hr forecast, but maybe this will serve as a lesson to tracks and race promoters to maybe not call a race a week in advance…I doubt it though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
    Will you then help pay the $100,0000+ purse, when about 25% of the needed crowd shows up??

Doubt that too...