Thread: RR Body Roll?

Default RR Body Roll?

If you notice a Car mid Corner, Full hike, and you see the body raise up over the RR tire, what would cause this?

To much J Bar rake ?

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    If you notice a Car mid Corner, Full hike, and you see the body raise up over the RR tire, what would cause this?

To much J Bar rake ?
    Lift from the rr suspension?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

our car will do this. its usually after mid corner though and usually just when we have a bunch of traction. sometimes we will even hop a bit. i think its just lift from suspension. i talked with our chassis builder about it wondering if that's normal or if we needed to change something and they thought it was fine. we have an under rail so it stops on the rail, but a lot of the over rail cars use chains

Yep, Outlaw thats what i see too. Mid Corner it lifts, seems like the RC is migrating to far outside the Car and it begins using the Tire is a pivot and the spring unloads. Thats the way i see it anyway.

Could be lift from the RR bars, but i have minimal bar angle, and index the cage top and bottom to help that, and 3" split on bar lengths so i have virtually no indexing on the RR.

Just say no...

We get it when the tracks goes dry to slick, when there is sidebite it will continue to compress the RR.

Maybe thats a key, more force pushing the rearend to the left, which i would think the RC is just to high.

Just say no...

We get it when the tracks goes dry to slick, when there is sidebite it will continue to compress the RR.

Maybe thats a key, more force pushing the rearend to the left, which i would think the RC is just to high.
    It lifts when your lateral acceleration is low enough that it doesn't combat the lift anymore. Index doesn't really have anything to do with the lift on the throttle. It's thrust and thrust angle.

You will see it more on a paperclip track vs one with bowed straights.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Yeah, i was just mentioning the indexing to say we wernt stacking up a bunch of rate, amplified by indexing. On a 175 spring, and rebound in the shock as well.

So that leads me to look at the bars again, i may have to much lower bar angle i guess.

Would having down angle in the lower bar keep the spring compressed when you pick up the throttle? Im thinking it can help.

Just say no...

Yeah, i was just mentioning the indexing to say we wernt stacking up a bunch of rate, amplified by indexing. On a 175 spring, and rebound in the shock as well.

So that leads me to look at the bars again, i may have to much lower bar angle i guess.

Would having down angle in the lower bar keep the spring compressed when you pick up the throttle? Im thinking it can help.
    It would decrease the thrust angle, so it would help.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Pretty sure its been discussed that it hurts aero as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Pretty sure its been discussed that it hurts aero as well!
    Rr up or down? If the car is going straight, like they put them in the wind tunnel, high rr adds load just like high lr does.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Actually it didn’t. At the bottom of the right rear spoiler was a big pocket of disturbance which caused the air to go up over the spoiler.

I think ghopper mentioned this as well in another thread.

This was on a late model with open sails.

Our experience was either not enough rebound or alot of RR upper bar angle. As previously mentioned, the paper clip or drag race style tracks will see more of this

Yep, Outlaw thats what i see too. Mid Corner it lifts, seems like the RC is migrating to far outside the Car and it begins using the Tire is a pivot and the spring unloads. Thats the way i see it anyway.

Could be lift from the RR bars, but i have minimal bar angle, and index the cage top and bottom to help that, and 3" split on bar lengths so i have virtually no indexing on the RR.
    Krom,

The roll center becomes the rr, when it's being lifted. Your eyes are good, you just have the chicken and egg backwards.

And keep in mind, just like the lr, softer spring on rr will aid lift.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MBR, I'm sure you notice this but let me describe what i am seeing with the Mods.

It looks like the faster cars that the body rolls into the Track, thats what it looks like, but some cars usually slower cars are rolling over or above the Track surface. It literaly looks like the body rolls up and over the RR, to me anyway.

After more bad runs LOL i figured out i had to much RR bar angle, also i added some more angle in the J Bar on the Frame side to help keep the LR hiked up.

Basically i want to get the right side to roll down and into the Track, visual, and stay fully hiked on the LR. I just cant seem to get the combo right.

It seems Florence Speedway requires extremes on adjustments. I have to go way farther with things there versus anywhere else and we never get any tire wear. Moler and LBurg can burn up a set quick, but Florence nothing.

Just say no...

another thing we worked a lot on with my son was arcing into the corner. this helped a lot being able to keep the RR in and really helped him feel the RR. We also went to more of a cushion type RR shock, stiffer in compression than rebound to help in get the car in deep with feeling it dumping on the RR too fast

interesting on the RR tire heat / wear. We had one night last year where we could not get heat in the rear even, and especially the RR, and car was not good. never did figure that one out as we are at that track somewhat regularly.

And nights we are really good we usually work the RR good, but have really balanced tire temps.

one other note on RR after looking at car this weekend. We also moved some ballast weight over the RR. We have our battery and 50 lbs of lead just in front of and up of the RR. This is another one in my head should have made our tight entry worse, but it got much better. We had actually tried a lightweight lithium battery in place of an AGM and went back to the AGM but because of the weight placement affect on corner entry.

not sure if any of that is helpful but it did get us from being peaky fast, to fast almost every night and most places we went. the end of the year we were just moving some wheel spacers as adjustments.

Ok, we are in the process of moving some weight around too. The book for the Chassis MFR calls for the same thing.

The Tire wear is wierd one, Ive noticed it for years at Florence. I can get one to wear but i have to cut on it a lot, but then its just the rubber giving up due to the lack of support.

No racing this past weekend, a lot of rain around here, we shall see for the next race date.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw4j View Post
    one other note on RR after looking at car this weekend. We also moved some ballast weight over the RR. We have our battery and 50 lbs of lead just in front of and up of the RR. This is another one in my head should have made our tight entry worse, but it got much better. We had actually tried a lightweight lithium battery in place of an AGM and went back to the AGM but because of the weight placement affect on corner entry.

not sure if any of that is helpful but it did get us from being peaky fast, to fast almost every night and most places we went. the end of the year we were just moving some wheel spacers as adjustments.
    Weight ensured consistent roll keeping the axle steered on entry.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1