Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farmer city late model car count

Tonight farmer had 6 supers in which 5 only finished with the low car counts how can they keep going? I believe eventually its only gonna be big shows before we all know it. I hope their lucas race doesn’t turn into being held hostage like many other big shows but not holding my breath.

I saw that. It's really too bad, because if there were only one track I could pick, but get to race at every week, it would be Farmer City. I hear a lot of negative stuff at times, and would never discredit a person's right to have an opinion, but from a racer's standpoint I really like the place.

For last night specifically, I know Feger and Unzicker were in Iowa. I'm not sure why Spatola wasn't there. But for this season, I haven't seen Wenger, Walden, Hough, Adams, Glassc0ck...just to name a few, but all regulars at FC.

This conversation comes up every year, and for other tracks, too (like Peoria for example). We all know the questions (or maybe we know the answer/s) on how racing got to this point, and why we allowed it to happen. I remember going to FC just 10 years ago and having to run a consi for a weekly show...

They still paying $1000 to win?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Judging by the "winner's check" in the pics from last night, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Judging by the "winner's check" in the pics from last night, yes.
    None of the guys listed above own a car with a $10k engine in it burning pump E85. They should, but they don't. So, they can't afford to support the place.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

at Shadybowl Speedway an asphalt track they pay Street Stocks $900 to win and $150 to start with $80 tow money and the template late models get $1,500 to win and $275 to start with $100 tow money and pay the top 4 in heats and dashes and quick qualifier. Thats weekly heck the compacts get $500 to win $100 to start with $60 tow money pit passes are $30 and stands $15.

"Houston, we have a problem" at Farmers City. In this day and age $1,000 to win a Super Late Model race just doesn't cut it. Crates pay that at many tracks throughout the country.

I don’t know how anyone who’s of middle class means could race a late model if it was $1000 to START. Much less win.

These days the pay should be at least $2,000 and even that would not draw much of a car count. Too many have changed to other classes or quit.

Just not enough late models in most areas.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Ride height,

It depends on how you race late models. I've been in shops with better floors than where I live. Some guys drive an old civic to work. Other guys have a new BMW. You can spend what you want. Pick your budget and stay in it. I mean it's nice to brag you have everything new, but it isn't required. I hate the smell of E85, but race gas is $20/gallon.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

1000 to win ! That's a Frick in insult.

$1000 to win at FC. Fairbury could have a trophy race and get more than 6 late models. FC is a dump for the fans. The town hates the track. What do you expect under those conditions.

Earlier this year we went to a super race that was close to home to just shake down the car and test some things. Come to find out it paid $250 to win. Second place got $90. Fifth on back got $25 and a pit pass. For sure the worst payout I have ever seen and we race a lot like Mastersbuilt only with out the E85.

Brownstown IL started racing on Friday nights. They had 17LM's, plus you had Davenport IA racing last friday and I seen at least 5-6 Farmer City guys there for the MLRA show. All comes down to where the drivers can get the most bang for their buck and have a decent surface to run on.

I challenge anyone to show me how on a regular weekly racing nite, a track can afford to pay out what is required nowadays to keep late models alive. It’s pure math. Can’t happen. Not supers. Now….maybe a crate type deal. But supers? No way, no how. The crowds just won’t support it, without raising ticket prices into the sky. Nobody in their right mind is going to bring a real deal super late model and race for 1000.00.

You are right, they aren't bringing a new Longhorn and a new engine to race for that. But a 2015 Rocket with an 18 degree engine in it is still a super late model.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

None of this should come as a surprise. They only had 18 cars for a $3000 special last year. It's a combination of not a bunch of regional supers anymore and the one's still doing it are venturing out to 10g specials which are only a hour or 2 away.
    I don't doubt FC would be paying good money if they could get a full field of cars. Can't blame it all on the track.
    8/13/16

The track has to have enough sense to look at the schedules around them and say "self the cars aren't going to come support us for $1000 when they are paying $5000-$10000 down the road a couple hours lets let them take a week off"

Lucky for us in Central Illinois, we have lots of good racers who travel either regionally or nationally. Unfortunately for Farmer City, that hurts their car count, consider Pierce, Shep, Steve Shep, Shirley, Erb, Feger, Unzicker, Heckenast, Gartner, Tommy Sheppard and I'm sure others I am missing. Other guys seem to only race once a week or wait until June to get going.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You are right, they aren't bringing a new Longhorn and a new engine to race for that. But a 2015 Rocket with an 18 degree engine in it is still a super late model.
    Your insight is quite excellent MB…….thanks for sharing like you do.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????