Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The older you get.

I was reading a thread the other day on another forum, about the passing of Allen Brown of National Speedway Directory, and it got me thinking.

The older you get are you more selective about race tracks you attend? For whatever reason?

Me personally, yes, I am more selective. I have been for a few years now. My bucket list is pretty much crossed off and I’m rather content going to the three or four race tracks that I know for sure I’ll see a good show, and in a timely manner. I think I’m simply selective because of my age and I think I’ve seen the best of the best, dirt and asphalt, no matter the discipline, over the past 40+ years.

Living in Indiana (since ‘88), I’m lucky to live close (in reasonable distance) to a few really good race tracks, and one track that isn’t my favorite, but I’ll still go occasionally, that being Eldora.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

( https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...d.php?t=122872 )
    Last edited by lurker; 04-17-2023 at 10:48 PM.

agree totally. I used to love tracks with steep banking and tons of speed. Now i really enjoy the slightly banked tracks like Kokomo, Lucas Oil, and Circle City

Used Allen’s book a many a time, back in our travels too, still try to keep up with the going on, just can’t hang anymore , time has caught up with me 🏁

I won’t go to any show that has sprints or midgets on the card. I’m not interested in being there for a tragedy.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

The older I get, the more I enjoy a "Special" show. As a matter of fact, I can not remember the last time I went to a regular weekly show. I do not mind paying more to see a National or Regional tour race. I am guaranteed to see the big names, and most of the time, I know it will only have one or two support divisions. The days of me sitting in the grandstands for five or six hours are long gone. This coming from a guy who spent many years going to the same couple of tracks on a weekly basis. Now I do not mind traveling a few hours to see DLM's, Big Block Modifieds and Sprint Cars.

As a racer who pretty much only runs a touring series anymore and gets to see at least a couple of new tracks every season my visits as a spectator have dwindled to only a couple of visits to a track during our off weekends. Those are usually to see or help a friend in another division. Like BTExpress said about sitting for 5 or 6 hours to watch stuff I don't care about are long gone. I'm a lousy bleacher jockey these days. Eight decades of this stuff will do that to you.

Lurker

I've been on the Indiana Open Wheel website for years (Nathans1012 < used to be my username on 4m as well). I'm the 2nd post on that link you posted.

Met Allen once at Illiana Motor Speedway and have a large number of National Speedway Directory books and 2 copies of the History Of American Speedways. 2 of the best Motorsports books ever published. His National Speedway Directory books are where I learned a lot about other tracks around the country and made me want to travel and see new tracks even that much more.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

these televised options now days come along at a good time. the older i get the less im going to tolerate inclement weather.

The older I get, I’m more concerned with attending events that my family are racing in and trying to be with them. It’s doesn’t matter to me if it’s a crate race or a bomber race, I’ll take family over a crown jewel event.

All of our racing involves travel so we factor in the drive…..where and when and not so much who.

Love the big super events , but really just want to see a good race no matter the class….I used to hate the bullrings when I was younger and just wanted the speed and horsepower show. Now I’m the opposite and don’t really care for the bigger tracks like I used to. I’d rather see the supers at a place like the Davenport small track versus some of the bigger tracks….love east bay way more than volusia now. That was different when younger.
    Cool thread.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

It seems like the older I get the more classes they want to run use to be 6 or 7 now it's 7.8.9 an 10 we got one track that ran 11 last year at least when they don't have a crowd they'll know why.

If I remember correctly, there were only 2 classes back in the early 70's at my local track. Every time a class was created, it was to cut expenses. That sure didn't work.

I thought this thread was going to be about dry poops and wet farts.
    8/13/16

7,8,9,or 10?? classes what the?? lol. ok.

I was a track rat in the 60's ,70's and 80's. What a great time, I mostly crewed on a late model or a big block mod dependent on the race. I had enough connections that I made in my trips to the PRI show and rec'd enough product help to assemble a sprint car for 4 seasons. 88 was my last year and it's hard for me to go sit in the stands and watch divisions that I have no interest in whatsoever. I enjoy my trips to port royal now, they run a good show and get people in and out at a reasonable hour. I can no longer go if there is a chill in the night air, I find myself watching how the cars are handling and it's what I enjoy watching. I only go to special shows at the BIG tracks in central pa. my favs now are the smaller tracks grandview puts on a heck of a show.

Hope all is well Brownie,
    We used to buy a new issue of Speedway Directory every year. Allen was a soft spoken gentleman. Sorry to hear he passed.

Attending from a fan standpoint, I'm a lot more strategic in my parking location. When I was younger, all I cared about was getting to the stands as quickly as possible and I always stayed for the last lap of EVERY race, regardless of what class (saw way too many of the old 4 cylinder classes), what time I left was irrelevant. Now I'm usually heading out from the stands when the leader enters turn three of the last lap of the SLM feature

Totally agree with too many classes and for a week night, tonight's show at Eldora was a perfect example. When having a Late Model touring series come to your track there should only be 1 support class and then that class should just have a draw for their lineups instead of time trials, especially when these classes constantly have drivers spinning out on the track. How many yellow flags tonight in the Late Models compared to the other 2. This Castrol series used to run their mid week shows in a timely manner but definitely not tonight.

I get people having issues about going to the track and sitting through classes they don’t care about or want to see because it takes a bunch of effort to get to the track etc……but complaining about a race you can change a channel on or off and get out of the recliner and walk upstairs to the bedroom is kinda just beachin to be beachin isn’t it?

On the flo televised stuff, put as many or few divisions as you want….I know how to work the remote.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I understand having a few other classes with the late models mostly because without them there would be zero time between races for the late models and the crew would never have enough time to change/grind tires or even put fuel in the cars much less make changes or cool the engines. Especially at Eldora when the temps are a little warmer than last night.

I’m kind of at an odd place with the sport. I still enjoy it. I still follow the results closely. I still have my favorites and favorite places. Last year I went to ZERO races. First time in my life that’s happened.

There’s a myriad of reasons why. I watched several on my phone at my daughter’s travel softball tournaments. I’d rather miss seeing my favorite driver winning the world 100 than miss one pitch she throws. My dad was going through chemo during a portion of the year. If he couldn’t go I wasn’t going either. Off weekends for the kid you still have to date your wife so races just didn’t happen for me. I’m obviously fine with it. I miss the smell mostly. I miss a right rear grabbing a handful of red dirt and throwing it at me. I miss the echo a Clements roars off Fort Mountain. I just don’t miss it enough to make it a priority.

I’m pretty sure I’ll hit one or two this year and it’ll be to watch a friend or just to roll down hwy 225 and feel 21 again for a minute. The days of worrying where everyone is going to be are past me.