Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

^^^^^good post. Hope you and dad make a few.

I've def gotten more selective as I've gotten older as to the shows I attend. Still enjoy a weekly show here and there even though I do hate the amount of local classes. When I was a kid/teenager, the only features you would find me actually sitting and watching would be the Limited and Super Late model features. All other classes, I hated and would be hanging out with my friends on the playground or around the track somewhere. Now, I actually appreciate the pure racing a few of the lower classes produce. Stock V8 class and stock 4 cylinder which I actually just started racing on asphalt. Very rarely does a winner come from anywhere other then the front row in late model features at local events around here.

I've also gotten way more sensitive to the dust that tracks produce. When I was young, I could care less if it was dusty or not or whatever time we left the track. Now, I'm selective depending on the track's rep of being dusty or if they regularly run late.

Got a few select events my Dad and I go to every year. World Finals, Dixie Shootout (When it was happening) Rome Rumble, Bowman Grey Opener/Season Final, and Few regional shows. Number of events will probably dwindle more now that I've started racing but will still be at a track supporting it.

“ the pure racing some of the lower classes produce” ……yes sir weatherman, agree and as I’ve gotten older I really, really appreciate the racing and the efforts these guys make to get their cars to the track in those support divisions.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

The older I get, the fussier I get. More selective I guess you could say. Years ago, wherever they were running supers, I'd try to go. I spent a bunch on not so great "races".

Now I plan for attending races that have a high probability of not disappointing me. Where I live I'll be spending some time driving (two hours to Red Cedar, three to MTS or CLS) so I'll have to watch a forecast rather close. I watch a lot of what is on Flo/DoD and still have my wish list tracks to get to but it has also helped me make some decisions not to go back to certain places. I've made the trip to Eldora but based on what I've seen lately from a couple drivers/one car dominating I'm not in a hurry to get back. I really want to go down to Davenport or Fairbury to see a show, that's for sure. Like others have said, appreciate the bull rings.

In my area the Dirt Kings regional tour runs at some tracks reasonably close to home and that is a great value for a fan. Decent gate prices and very good racing depending on what track they visit. I've also come to appreciate what is on the undercard and running on skinny tires. That is where I see some actual "racing" when the supers aren't as good as expected (IMCA stocks/mods, WISSOTA, USRA, USMTS mods).
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Definitely selective these days, with experience and rising costs, its necessary to maximize your choices. No more time or money to throw away. Now if somebody else wants to pick up the tab I'd reconsider.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

When I was in my teens and 20s, I was a madman - typically 100 races a year or more. Now I'm over 50 with a wife, one boy who excels at a sport and plays it year round, 8 months of the year traveling and his little brother is a special needs kid. Over the years I've gone from 100 to 50 to 25 to 10-12 races a year. My brothers are 10+ years older than me, so now it's "let's make a weekend out of it" events where we can go golfing, and have a nice meal or two mixed in with the races. World Finals are an annual get away, we try to do East Bay/Volusia, and one "bucket list" event a year. This year we're eyeballing California for a sprint race (Gold Cup) or midget race (Turkey Night GP).

The fact my two local tracks (Winchester and Hagerstown) have stopped running supers means I don't go to them - I'm not paying money to watch support classes, sorry. That means I have to drive at least 2.5 hours to watch weekly supers, so I don't watch weekly supers. I still love the sport as much as ever - it's literally my only hobby, but now I get by on Flo and DirtVision mostly. The money I don't spend going weekly to be disappointed ($15-$20 at the gate, $25 in gas, $20 on food/drinks) adds up quick and funds the streaming subscriptions and bucket list trip pretty well.
    Last edited by Jerky; 04-24-2023 at 09:12 AM.