Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I'm going to say it!

So I decided to do a lot of travel over the last week. Attica last friday, florence on saturday, Eldora on Tuesday, and Brownstown on Wednesday. Dirt late model racing is boring, something has to be done. 4 different tracks and the same result boring racing. The only good race I saw was the All Star Sprint race on friday at attica. As for the ranking of the actual dirt late model races was Attica had the best late model race, followed by Florence, Eldora then Brownstown. Other point is top high dollar cars does not insure quality racing.

I thought the racing at the big E was really good. Not sure why you would complain about that. Plenty of passing, track in great shape.

You make a point of some DLM racing boring. You have the pole sitter winning often. Big money teams plenty. Other than inverting the field at least with a pill draw, l don't see a solution

If we must qualify, please do some sort of invert! Better yet, draw for start and passing points. Then even the heat races become interesting. Sure, the "big name" drivers want straight up starts, but this is what you get...

TS fan I was at the big E. I guess the racing was ok. But nothing to write home about. This is the track you will have for the Dream as there is no late model races there until the Dream. It would be nice if they actually raced on that track enough to get a grip on how to improve the racing surface. Being that Eldora sits dark most of the racing season, the racing surface is a crap shoot every time they race.
    Last edited by play4kps; 04-20-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Would be nice to run a Late Model Show in May like May 20th for $10,000 to win on Family Fun Night

Yes, latemodel fan. They even cancelled the Johnny Appleseed race. 2 yrs ago took the 360's off that show, now completely dropped it. That was hard to figure out, plenty of cars and huge crowd for that race being it was on a Sunday and most is off the nest day.

In 2014 the Johnny Appleseed had 35 late models, 31 nra 360 sprints, 36 UMP modifieds, and 27 stock cars. Today Im convinced they would never attempt to run that many cars in fear of the track not holding up! Those were the good old days, now it cost more and a lot less racing.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Other than inverting the field at least with a pill draw, l don't see a solution
    I was thinking about that during the Eldora races and thought that more cars in each heat, and longer heat races would probably help (imagine if heats were structured like B mains). Once cars start getting into traffic, they have to slow down and passing can actually happen. That or just take the spoilers off.

It's not the track, it's the cars! When the cars would get close to each other in the heats, they would either push or get loose trying to steer. Everybody wants to point the finger at the track in these situations, even the racers do the same thing. Traditionally, eldora isn't that good in the heats for the bigger races anyway, until it slows down some of course. Which is normally around heat 4 or 5.

As long as we are giving opinions.....8 lap heat races for national LM Series is absolutely ridiculous. Again the top tier teams like it because they are usually starting up front, but 3rd row on back you need some breaks to move forward in 8 laps.

100% right tireguy. zyoung brings up a good point. The cars just dont seem to race very good anymore. Especially the Longhorns other than Ricky Thornton jr. Hudson, Gustin, Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Bronson, Macdaddy, Josh Rice, and Schlenk seen to be able to race thru traffic. Hudson, Josh and Bronson are in rockets, Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) is in a black diiamond, Mac daddy Bloomquist????, Schlenk guessing rocket or longhorn. Anyways just an observation.
    Last edited by play4kps; 04-21-2023 at 07:58 AM.

Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) is now in his self designed BMF Chasis fabricated by Brucebilt in Knoxville. Bruce also now fabricates Snipers for Ricky Weiss.
    FWIW: Brucebilt no longer has a Rocket jig as an authorized Rocket repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    100% right tireguy. zyoung brings up a good point. The cars just dont seem to race very good anymore. Especially the Longhorns other than Ricky Thornton jr. Hudson, Gustin, Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Bronson, Macdaddy, Josh Rice, and Schlenk seen to be able to race thru traffic. Hudson, Josh and Bronson are in rockets, Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) is in a black diiamond, Mac daddy Bloomquist????, Schlenk guessing rocket or longhorn. Anyways just an observation.
    Schlenk builds his own car.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The qualifying good, start up front is getting really old. Most race finishes now days are predictable before they even run the feature.Is there any fix? Well last I knew it was called racing, not put 2 qualifying laps together and get rewarded the rest of the show. Bring back the dash where u actually race for starting spots. Top 8 qualifiers run 10 lap dash for feature spot, can either invert dash or heads up on how u qualified so the crybaby drivers cant complain that qualifying means nothing. Where u finish dash is where u start feature.

Over the last five years I've become more of a 410 sprint fan than dirt late models/mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    As long as we are giving opinions.....8 lap heat races for national LM Series is absolutely ridiculous. Again the top tier teams like it because they are usually starting up front, but 3rd row on back you need some breaks to move forward in 8 laps.
    Exactly this. Make heat races longer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    Over the last five years I've become more of a 410 sprint fan than dirt late models/mods.
    Same! Or midgets or wingless sprints. The racing at Attica last weekend was off the charts! Saturday's winner came from 22nd to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    They just need starters to get me to fully commit. They're rubber races are even entertaining to an extent.

I'm with everyone on the short heat races and starting up front. So tired of dirt late model wins off the front row. Maybe the USAC sprint and midget inversion is not a bad thing. Invert the top 6 every heat race based off qualifying. Gotta finish in the top 4 of your heat to get your feature starting spot, which is the top 6 inverted. If you don't finish in the top 4, you go to the semi, which is started straight up. Then you'll start 7th on back in the feature. You basically gotta race your way into the feature.

Thats sad, I hate the fact people are looking more to sprints over late models. but I understand. So Schlenk builds his own cars, I dont see him a lot, but he does pretty good in that car. I was impressed on friday at Attica with him and his car. And on Saturday I saw on Flo he ran good at Paragon Indiana. And by the way 20 bucks for the All Star sprints, 305 sprints and late models is a great price.