Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Exactly this. Make heat races longer again.
    Actually back when the World 100 first started the heat races were 20 lappers.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Buford, I do remember that! The tracks are catering to the big name drivers doing everything to keep them happy while forgetting the future and lower budget teams.

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Thats sad, I hate the fact people are looking more to sprints over late models. but I understand. So Schlenk builds his own cars, I dont see him a lot, but he does pretty good in that car. I was impressed on friday at Attica with him and his car. And on Saturday I saw on Flo he ran good at Paragon Indiana. And by the way 20 bucks for the All Star sprints, 305 sprints and late models is a great price.
    Schlenk started with a Rayburn and put his own spins on it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

i musta missed the memo.

I thought the goal of racing was to be the fastest in hot laps, win the heat race, and lap the field in the feature......not entertain the fans!

Saying that, a good start would be to draw for heat races and use passing points!

Everybody wants to point the finger at the track in these situations, even the racers do the same thing.

This is how the Fast 49 has made his hay a plenty over the last few years. He typically qualifies very well and starts up front resulting in a lot of wins. I have as well become a fan of 410 Sprints as they put on a much better show than the Late Models.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) is now in his self designed BMF Chasis fabricated by Brucebilt in Knoxville. Bruce also now fabricates Snipers for Ricky Weiss.FWIW: Brucebilt no longer has a Rocket jig as an authorized Rocket repair shop.
    I don't know bout the Sniper but some that have looked at the BMF cars say their bar for bar bend for bend a black diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I don't know bout the Sniper but some that have looked at the BMF cars say their bar for bar bend for bend a black diamond.
    Sniper is essentially a Bloomer car. Very few folks go off and build a car much different from what they were racing. It almost never happens.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Schlenk builds his own car.
    Nice signature tag line MasterSilt_Racer.

Only if more people could have seen the direction these monstrosities were headed about 10 years ago maybe we wouldn’t have the need for a thread like this. People complaining about dirt late model racing being boring but hey at least we now have those cool looking modern day wedges eh
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

These front row starts with today's aero dependence makes for often boring mains. When you have cars as good as Davenport's in clean air it is pretty much game over.
    Our touring Pro Stock group uses a redraw by winner of either the first heat or a dash when we have one. Usually it's 0-6 or a variation like 0, 4 or 6 like we used in Oregon over the weekend. Bit us one night and in our favor the second night and it usually pretty much evens out. Made the racing for the mains much better and, frankly, a lot more fun for both drivers and fans.
    Those who say that doesn't reward the drivers who are the fastest qualifiers seem to forget that if the fans aren't entertained there won't be many of the big bucks shows to run.

"Those who say that doesn't reward the drivers who are the fastest qualifiers seem to forget that if the fans aren't entertained there won't be many of the big bucks shows to run."

BINGO.....Now I have seen some entertaining races over the years, for both the DLM's and Sprint Cars, where the winner came from the pole or front row, especially if it is YOUR GUY who wins, but generally those races make for some very boring racing. It is why I like the WOOLMS races over the LOLMS with their redraws.

Been saying it for years. If your time is good it gives you a front row starting spot in the heats, which in turn gets you a possible front row for the feature. I say take 12 cars min. from the heat races, have your little show on the front straightaway for the fans, and let them pull a pill for a 20 lap qualifier. Let this determine the first 6 rows of the feature.

These dashes that are 8 laps are a waste of time with the car of today. On the big tracks were aero is king there is little chance of anyone from the 4th spot back to have a chance in h1ll. The summer nationals are coming up and you will see some of the best side by side racing anywhere. Air doesn't mean as much on these tracks.

Kinda funny how people are saying aero is killing late models and winged sprints are better when sprints have a 25 sq ft aero device on the top of them and a 6 sq ft aero device on the nose. Track prep remains the key to any good race, late model or sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
    Kinda funny how people are saying aero is killing late models and winged sprints are better when sprints have a 25 sq ft aero device on the top of them and a 6 sq ft aero device on the nose. Track prep remains the key to any good race, late model or sprint.
    Wing sprints do not race well. They race nothing like a 1995 late model. They actually race a bit like today's late models. Slide jobs only.

That said, they still don't have the air off the nose type issues that late models have.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-01-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Wing sprints do not race well. They race nothing like a 1995 late model. They actually race a bit like today's late models. Slide jobs only.

That said, they still don't have the air off the nose type issues that late models have.
    BINGO!

Going back to track prep, it seems like the tracks who manage to put the work in to have a surface that can go from heavy to slick and manage to not rubber up are a dying breed. I grew up in Western PA and once the night was started at Lernerville or Pittsburgh the water truck was parked. This whole reworking the track 2-3 times a night never allows it to slick off, and I think everyone agrees that slicked off with no rubber makes the best racing. When all you have is a one groove track I don't care what year it is or what bodies you have, the racing will be subpar.

To much of 4M, of the freight train is on the top, the racing is good. If the train is on the bottom, then it sucks.

A track that’s evenly slick from top to bottom that has no dominant groove makes for the best racing, but tracks like that are pretty much unicorns.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I continually hear the drivers say "we put ourselves behind in qualifying." I would much rather hear them say "I got a terrible pill draw." Stop qualifying and draw a number for a 12-lap heat that determines where you start the feature. Passing points stink, are unnecessary and confusing. End of rant.

Track prep is probably the number one problem recently they ran a 10 thousand to win lm race close to me they had 9 classes and started at 530 so you know where I'm headed you can't count the passes in the big feature on one hand

There's too many times I watch a super race that's a train and another class gets out there and puts on a race. Track prep is often a scapegoat. It isn't the tracks fault when cars go out there with nlmt#1 tires and lay rubber down either.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MasterSbilt_Racer,

I know I’ve hinted at this before, but let me go at it again and hopefully you follow my intent and it makes sense.

Because of our age, or veteranship of being around DLM racing for 30 or 40+ years, and knowing how DLM racing was in the past --- do you think it makes guys like us and others on 4m, more judgmental when it comes to today’s DLM and the racing therefore? Or are we just living in the past too much, and not embracing Today’s DLM racing?

Personally, I don’t like the way the today’s cars look or race --- yet I embrace the technological advancements, if that makes a lick of sense.

Case in point, I grew up around DLM’s, yet over the last 25+ years I’ve grown much fonder of 600cc micro’s, non-wing 410 sprints and midgets, mainly because of the simplicity or the cars, which I believe has lead to better racing than DLM’s.

In short, is it me?
    Last edited by lurker; 06-02-2023 at 12:13 PM.