Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for everyone having a good convo on the subject. We all have our opinions but I noticed most of us feel heat races are pointless and predictable, which I think the number of laps along with straight up starts from TT does not help. I know the drivers do not want an (wait for it)…..invert. But I sure wish WoO and Lucas would do a small one, like invert 3 for example. Just something to spice the heats up.

I still remember going to the early years of the Knoxville LM nationals when it was a full field invert (10+ car heats). Man those were some fun heats to watch.

Watch the northeast big block mods ! Come feature time the best guys they have to offer can sometimes come from deep in the starting fields and them boys race there way to the front.

They can't even be bothered getting them to start the heats on the line. Babb jumped a start and Pierce didn't hit the gas at all, Babb was penalized. O'Neil jumps a start and McCreadie tries to catch up, nothing. Longer heat races would get them into traffic and make a better chance of some slowing down and passing.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Longer heat races would get them into traffic and make a better chance of some slowing down and passing.
    Then everybody would have a less reason to bitch about the heats being single file. That makes too much sense.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 05-14-2023 at 08:30 AM.

12 laps or at least 10. Eight is too short. Your not giving half the field a chance with just 8 laps.

I don't want racing to become a thin box of cereal..
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

short track super series has it right pill draw 20 lap heat races

Since the heats were only 8 laps, all tried to win it on the first lap.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

All of these time trial heads-up tours should just skip the heat races. Most of these heat races have a small number of cars on the track with no passing or even side by side racing. I always thought southern no heat racing format was stupid, but if they are going to be heat races like these national tours put on, let’s just skip them. I would rather see a longer feature (75-100 laps) with all the cars on the tractor these pointless heat races.

Making the known fastest cars qualify last would make a bit of a difference. Points leader qualifies last etc.

15-20 lap heats used to be the norm for crown jewels when they just ran heats on Friday. Times have changed, most multi-day shows have some type of qualifying feature each day. The cars get so much more traction nowadays that what used to be like 1 lap on the motor is 2 or 3. I am fine with 8 lap heats given how the cars race and how much is costs to race these cars.