Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8 Lap Heats.....

There is something wrong with National Late Model Touring Series running the same number of heat laps as most of the local classes across the US.

8 just isn't enough for the fans and racers starting 3rd row on back, especially on bull rings.

I agree, but a lot of those guys would be good with running zero laps.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

8 is better then none, for me. 15 laps would be nice, i agree. anything other then jumping into the A main based on qualifying alone.

I’ve said that the only people consistently getting screwed in racing is the fans. Times have changed, less laps, higher ticket prices.

I remember 20 lap heats at Crown Jewels, those were great. A regular sanctioned show should at least be 10.
    Last edited by Pennsboro32; 05-12-2023 at 09:08 AM.

Shorter heats, shorter b-mains, shorter features, 22 cars starting instead of 24.

I'm curious if their thinking is these Flo races are during the week and they want to get the show over at a decent time. I think 12 laps would be good at least 10 though

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I'm curious if their thinking is these Flo races are during the week and they want to get the show over at a decent time. I think 12 laps would be good at least 10 though
    Lucas and WoO have been doing 8 lap heats and 10-12 lap B's for alot of their shows for quite some time now.

Should be 10-12 lap heats and 15 lap B's for anything under 1/2 mile IMO.

8 laps is plenty, especially when you line up straight from qualifying. Most heats are decided 4 laps into the race, no need to drag them on past 8 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Minny Lakes View Post
    8 laps is plenty, especially when you line up straight from qualifying. Most heats are decided 4 laps into the race, no need to drag them on past 8 laps.
    I fail to understand how straight up makes the heat laps less important?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Minny Lakes View Post
    You hit the nail squarely on the head.

Qualify up front, start heat up front, start feature up front, Win feature. Getting pretty predictable.

If you feel a disturbance in The Force its because I am agreeing with Pennboro32!!

A friend and I were just talking about the last 2 nights of racing. Heat races almost do not even matter anymore when you like up the fastest guy on pole and run 8 laps that are over in less than 2 minutes. The Flo crew seem to have a way of justifying all things they do that come across as super kocky (spelling) as well. Take last night, DJ said they were running 6 heats with less cars, but with the same amount of cars entered last night vs 4 heats with more cars due to the size of the track. Forgive me if I am wrong but how does that make things more entertaining for me the race fan whos paying the drivers and Flo's salaries? Its only benefits the guys up front.

But take note they have no problem starting 2 more cars than the previous night on that same smaller track and both B mains had a bunch of cars in them if I recall correctly as well.

Late model racing is almost to the point where you just wait for a notification on your phone that the feature is rolling to tune in and hope that someone mid pack bolted on some 1 and 2 tires and lets it eat. Heats are very boring. B-mains are hit or miss at best anymore.

Heats are generally run when the track still has tack and become a fright train in whatever was the preferred line in qualifying. Adding laps isn’t going to change that much.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Lucas and WoO have been doing 8 lap heats and 10-12 lap B's for alot of their shows for quite some time now.

Should be 10-12 lap heats and 15 lap B's for anything under 1/2 mile IMO.
    Ok thanks for the response. I don't really pay attention to the heat races since most are pretty boring to begin with. I wait until at least the B-mains to start watching

Last night, I was just focused on some a couple of good heats and the feature was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    If you feel a disturbance in The Force its because I am agreeing with Pennboro32!!

A friend and I were just talking about the last 2 nights of racing. Heat races almost do not even matter anymore when you like up the fastest guy on pole and run 8 laps that are over in less than 2 minutes. The Flo crew seem to have a way of justifying all things they do that come across as super kocky (spelling) as well. Take last night, DJ said they were running 6 heats with less cars, but with the same amount of cars entered last night vs 4 heats with more cars due to the size of the track. Forgive me if I am wrong but how does that make things more entertaining for me the race fan whos paying the drivers and Flo's salaries? Its only benefits the guys up front.

But take note they have no problem starting 2 more cars than the previous night on that same smaller track and both B mains had a bunch of cars in them if I recall correctly as well.

Late model racing is almost to the point where you just wait for a notification on your phone that the feature is rolling to tune in and hope that someone mid pack bolted on some 1 and 2 tires and lets it eat. Heats are very boring. B-mains are hit or miss at best anymore.
    Hey you’re starting to come around…

I think it should vary on the different sizes of the track. An 8 lap heat race at Macon (if it ever happens again) is way too short. It would easy to sort out if divided out right. 8 lap races are too short. I'd like to see a minimum of 10. I'm not in a hurry to get home while I'm at the track like it seems some are.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I think it should vary on the different sizes of the track. An 8 lap heat race at Macon (if it ever happens again) is way too short. It would easy to sort out if divided out right. 8 lap races are too short. I'd like to see a minimum of 10. I'm not in a hurry to get home while I'm at the track like it seems some are.
    I've been saying that for a long time. I can remember when Lucas was running a 75-lap race at Tazewell, then it was cut to their standard 50 laps. But you'd go somewhere like Wytheville where it was also 50 laps and it seemed like it took twice as long to run the feature. I guess they keep things standard because it's easier to keep up with from race to race.

The bullring racing has been great come feature time up there in the land of lincoln. He's right, in the first couple laps you pretty much know who the winner is going to be. Why have time trials ? I would rather see 10 cars in a heat race with guys pulling pills and racing 10 to 12 laps.

Racing on big tracks cannot hold a candle to what these guys are doing come feature time. Hoping fairbury gets there show in. That should be a barn burner with the field of cars they have had. How's the weather looking for there show ?

When the Humidity and dew point starts to get high there's always more chances for rain as the day goes on and the heat builds but, remember it's Illinois and you don't ever know. It's just a chance you take sometimes.

I will give you a good example. About 8 to 10 years ago Lincoln had the Summer Nationals race and it was the Brandt 40 or something like that. and it had rained most of the day in the state of Illinois and it even Rained really hard at Walmart which is about 2 miles from the track. It rained so hard if had it rained at the track that hard the races would have been cancelled. People were calling form all over to see if they were still racing and some guys that they were lying to them that it hadn't rained at the track. I thought it had to be raining at the track myself. They kept saying we're looking at the radar and it has to be raining and when they showed up they couldn't believe it. They ran 2 classes Late Models and Mods and had around 90 to 100 cars so, you never know in Illinois. We can have 4 seasons in one day but, not usually this time of the year.