Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does it take to get you to a regional series race?

Some of us have been talking about this for a while now. Granted, we all agree there are too many regional series period. The huge events like the ones that pay $30k, $40k, $50K, $100k always draw the crowds because the biggest names are usually there. The thing some of us have been kicking around is what does it take to get you to a regional series race. Some do well and some not so much. Is it ticket prices, format, added entertainment, big prize giveaways, or something else?

Biggest thing for me is a decent ticket price and guaranteeing the late models not only run first in the feature but that I know the track won’t keep me there all night. If it is a known track for running super late then I don’t even bother attending. If they don’t make the effort or care then I won’t either.

Ticket prices don't come into play for me. And I don't want or need added entertainment. All I really want is good racing.

Primary considerations for me:
    -Family obligations
    -Distance to track from where I live.
    -Weekend or work day: What time can I expect to get back home.
    -Expected effort by the track to produce good racing and run an efficient program.

Other things I think about:
    -Weather. Because of the distance I usually have to travel.
    -Late models are my favorite, but I enjoy most racing. On dirt. Occasional pavement, because that is what is around here.
    -Racing format: Prefer passing points and no time trials for support divisions!
    -Past personal experiences with track/sanctioning body.

JMO
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

It’s the track, mostly. If a track produces good racing I’ll check it out if I can. If it’s a track that isn’t particularly racy, I’ll generally stay home.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

.....x 2!^^^

How do they run the show ? Will they start on time and keep the show moving or will they want to sell every last hot dog
    Weather, if it's iffy I'm not traveling an hour from home
    How many classes, I'm not showing up if it's more than 2 anymore.
    Track history. If it has history that it becomes freight train racing, I'm not interested.
    If I fall asleep in my truck, don't knock on my window and tell me I have to pay a campers fee.

There is to many good races at good tracks to deal with garbage promotors. Right now, Port Royal has my backing as the best racing. The racing there in slm, sprints and big block mods is second to none. I hope to get to the Midwest to see some SLM racing on the 1/4 mile bullrings. There's to many tracks that seem to be clueless as far as track prep is concerned and I've decided not to support them.

I hit up more regional shows than I do the National touring series. I've seen far more better races at FC, FALS, and Banner when the Mars, N. Allstars, Cornbelt Clash, or Summer Nationals are in attendance. Not sure why. There's a lot of YouTube videos out there for any doubters.
    Only problem is that a lot of the good regional racers have moved up to the National level. I think it takes a combination of good track and a quality core of racers.
    8/13/16

I find myself way more invested in the "little guys" getting to win big bucks than national tours.

Personally, I go to nearly all the regional series within 2 hours of my house. I have more fun at a regional event than the major events. It seems like the major events constantly try to out do each other and keep making the top of the purses heavier without helping the local or regional guys who are more likely not to win.I will agree that the classes need to be kept to a minimum at a regional event. Maybe no more than three. I ABSOLUTELY HATE having tons of classes or if the late models go last.

All the tracks around me run 8;9 even 10 classes even when they run a big race it is that many classes its ridiculous.

Power outage at home causing me to have no FloRacing or DirtVision

I will add that their might be to many regional series. Their are some out there paying start money to win. Not sure why anyone would follow a series that's only paying 1,000-1,500 to the winner. Don't even want to know the payout throughout the field. Talk about a losing proposition.
    8/13/16

. How long is it going to take me to get there. Which regional series it is. Are they running heat races or starting straight up. Any more than two or three support classes probably ain't going. The reputation of the track, is it racy and they get you out early or hold you there all night long

First i don't think there ARE too many regional series, since most tracks here in the south no longer have weekly Supers, if they expect to keep any remnant of a class for a region then they need to be fed somehow...

1. A raceable surface. Slick is fine, a sandblaster is NOT!
    2. Clean restrooms, especially for the wife.
    3. A timely show, preferably not a dozen support divisions.
    4. Good food at a reasonable price. (Don't call a heated bologny sandwich a bologna burger)
    5. NO 4 wide salutes or lengthy drawn out intro's. Call'em out, Line'em up, couple of warmup laps and turn'em loose.
    6. Distance from home.
    7. Ticket price.
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Every View Post
    First i don't think there ARE too many regional series, since most tracks here in the south no longer have weekly Supers, if they expect to keep any remnant of a class for a region then they need to be fed somehow...

1. A raceable surface. Slick is fine, a sandblaster is NOT!
    2. Clean restrooms, especially for the wife.
    3. A timely show, preferably not a dozen support divisions.
    4. Good food at a reasonable price. (Don't call a heated bologny sandwich a bologna burger)
    5. NO 4 wide salutes or lengthy drawn out intro's. Call'em out, Line'em up, couple of warmup laps and turn'em loose.
    6. Distance from home.
    7. Ticket price.

^ This guy just nailed it for the tracks down south.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

For most, it's money, money, money . . . and Joe Biden has seen to it that "play" money has been curtailed drastically.

I used to drive a couple hours to watch a 3500 or more to win. It didn't matter if was ran under a series or not. A baby changes things though.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    Power outage at home causing me to have no FloRacing or DirtVision
    Wow. Ouch
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Often times a regional series can produce a better racing show.

Why I say this is because in your regional series not everyone is on the top level of equipment and experience. In a regional you may still have some drivers still on a learning curve and still getting there with the equipment and the team. So, with that being said, you actually see some passing and racing and cars moving around and making their way to the front. Let's face it, the national tours sometimes have some predictable outcomes based on qualifying, not much action in 8 lap heats, and who gets to start up front in the main. A regional tour might throw a curve ball into that because not everyone is on the same sheet of music with chassis, engine, and experience.

If a regional is within a decent driving distance and the weather is good, I'll try to go. Often times I see a really good show, but I do get fussy about the track. If I have been burned a couple times before by a bad race on a locked down track, I don't normally go back.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Wow. Ouch
    I meant that as joke Racer actually I prefer going to a regional series race than a national event because it’s less crowded and cheaper.