Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Off Topic….. Kyle Larson - Is this guy the 2nd coming of AJ Foyt?

Kyle Larson

Is this guy the second coming of AJ Foyt?

He just laid an @$$ kicking on the rest of the field at North Wilkesboro for the NASCAR All Star race and at one point had a 1/2 track 10-12 second lead and this is after he started the race in the back of the pack.
    This was his 3rd NASCAR All Star race win on the third different track.

I’ll reserve judgement till after next years Indy 500, but he is off to one he!! of a start.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

He can drive just about anything. Makes me want to actually watch the Indy 500 this year

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodhasbeen View Post
    He can drive just about anything. Makes me want to actually watch the Indy 500 this year
    He won't be in it until next year (2024).

Got to hang around a few times with one of AJ Foyts child hood freinds, Bopper, he always said AJ was a man among boys in a Race Car. In his opinion he was the best of all, could win in anything.

Early on, but Larson sure seems to be on that path. Its good to see too, racing in a various cars etc.

Just say no...

Very few have measured up to the talent of AJ. Up to this point, Stewart is the only real legit equal. But Smoke has taken it to another entirely different level by moving into NHRA top fuel with more success in yet another discipline. Larson is one of those unique transcendent talents like AJ and Tony and given time will acheive a great deal in motorsports.

Parnelli, A.J.,Mario, Tony stewart and now kid Kyle. ALL champions in various machines. The first racers won in ANYTHING they sat in. From midgets, sprints, champ cars, indy cars, nascar, off road, LeMans, Formula 1 and now NHRA

If Kyle can somehow win a indy car race he will without question be able to sit at that table. He is by far the very best in what he has shown. If he could win a big eldora race he would be a god according to some, move over gentleman there's a young buck trying to take your crowns.

Enjoy watching him in anything.

If he could win a big eldora race?

Been there, done that.
    8/13/16

I'm still amazed at how the kid was just another NASCAR driver until his suspension, and now we can't get enough of him. Seems to win everything in sight, and I couldn't be happier for him in light of the aforementioned.

And for the record, Stewart is driving a Top Alcohol dragster, not top fuel. Not saying I could, but they are two different beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I'm still amazed at how the kid was just another NASCAR driver until his suspension, and now we can't get enough of him.
    I think he won more races for Chip Ganassi then all of Chips other drivers combined over the years.
    8/13/16

I personally appreciate Robbie Gordon, too. He won in stock cars, dirt oval cars, Indy cars, Baja trucks, rally cross, and maybe even motorcycles if memory serves me correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    If he could win a big eldora race?

Been there, done that.
    I'm talking the world 100 or the dream. My age and my lack of paying much attention anymore has gotten me to the point of when I wake up tomorrow my big decision is where do I play golf today and what bourbon is at the club for happy hour. Pappy's at 300.00 a pour is really worth it. Smooooooootth

Larson is already in the class of AJ, Mario and Stewart. As for his Nascar career, he needed to get away from Ganassi. He did an outstanding job with a sub par team. Now he has a top ride. He has had a lot of bad luck this year, believe it or not. When his luck starts turning, look out, could be a repeat of 2021

As for Indy, I am looking forward to his presence for sure. there is no doubt he will be fast and competitive. The thing is with Indy is you have to have a lot of luck to find victory lane.
    Great race for sure, but you have to have a lot of luck. Mario had absolutely none.

About 30 years ago, I spent a couple days with Danny Sullivan who can attest Mario's bad luck. We had a real chuckle about his spin and win. He said if it would have been anyone except the snake bitten Andretti, he probably would have finished second.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I'm talking the world 100 or the dream. My age and my lack of paying much attention anymore has gotten me to the point of when I wake up tomorrow my big decision is where do I play golf today and what bourbon is at the club for happy hour. Pappy's at 300.00 a pour is really worth it. Smooooooootth
    You cannot even remotely believe that Larson could not win the dream or world 100, but as you know he races Nascar and will have and has had very little opportunity to even compete. That is no barometer for him. Just like Indy, i am excited to see him run it, but only doing it a couple times really cuts is odds of winning that race.

His odds at winning the world or the dream are the same way. Teams go to those races with stuff tested and motors set on go fast or expire. You just don't come to those races without a lot of laps at eldora

there was a lot more advantages in AJ,s day that only a few knew about , as equal as all the teams are now , only raw talent is gone prevail , Kyle Larson is in that category , like him or not ....

CIRF might or might not say " He's good but he aint no Jack Hewitt " ? ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    During that 2020 season when he was suspended, I saw him in person 6 times (4 nights in winged spring, 1 midget & 1 silver crown). 3 wins in the winged car (Pevely & 2 nights at Knoxville), 1 win in the silver crown at Springfield & 2nd place in the midget. Worst finish of a close 2nd one wing show & in the midget. Then in 2021, saw him win the Knoxville Nationals & Prairie Dirt Classic 2 weeks apart.

I've never seen someone as diverse as him in multiple cars & always up front. I never saw Foyt on the dirt & Stewart while very good on the dirt was not dominant like Larson. Basically, Larson lacks only the Daytona 500, Indy 500 & Dream/World to have won the biggest events in the following disciplines. Winged sprint, midget, dirt late model, Nascar & Indy Car. Given his age, that is an insane level of accomplishment.

In 2020, his Knoxville win was the event they ran in place of the Nationals. I've no doubt he would have won even with a full field Nationals that year so he is basically a 2 time winner of that event.

Should he quit Nascar at an early enough age & focus on the winged sprint, I have no doubt he would win the series points within a few years time. Probably could do same in late model if he focused on just that car. Once in a couple generations type of talent.
    your first sentence got me to rethinking that suspension deal , larson said one word " ni--a" , and was suspended for a year and find a lot of money , now here comes bubber wallace who physically attaches larson on the track and gets a one race suspension and a 25K fine , I wish he would give nascrap the middle finger , but I realize this is where he will make the most money , now Indy could change that but IDK .....

With the suspension behind him, I can't believe someone hasn't come on board as a sponsor yet. Not only would you be getting the best exposure possible considering the car is always up front, but you are getting your name on a car driven by the most talented racer in years.
    8/13/16

I got a couple feelings on this sponsor business. First I think HMS is doing just fine sponsoring him. Second we live in a woke nut job society and sponsors are afraid to do more than dip their toe in the water. Third, I think HMS says no thanks to the toe dippers, we are just fine.

HMS is playing hardball with sponsors and I agree with them. See what happens going forward. I have never been a big fan of HMS, but where Larson is concerned I am a huge fan. LOL

As for INDY car, they offer nothing to Kyle Larson. Except of course a couple of Indy 500 races.
    At this point, Larson is living the dream. He has a lot to accomplish in Nascar and might well do it.

Silly debate.

At his age, no one in the history of auto racing has ever accomplished more, in as many forms of racing, as Kyle Larson has. It’s not even close.

To bring Indy racing in to the discussion is laughable. To bring drag racing in to it is even funnier. Foyt, Andretti, etc … they won most of their races in open wheel cars. If you include full body cars, only Tony Stewart is in the discussion with Larson. And that’s only because of NASCAR. Give Kyle another 10 years and he’ll surpass Tony in NASCAR too. Wanna talk about dirt late models lol, Tony was fun to watch when hotlapping a late model — especially at Brownstown — but he never won a big race in one. Anywhere. Ever.

This is a ridiculous debate. Larson is the GOAT.