Default XRWMS Legit Spdwy Park West Plains mo.

A:
    1. 1 tyler erb
    2. 21m billy moyer jr
    3. 7w ricky weiss
    4. 14m morgan bagley
    5. 94 austin rettig

$10k win

turbo finally found a group he could beat if giving the pole to start the race

Quote Originally Posted by MEE View Post
    turbo finally found a group he could beat if giving the pole to start the race
    He earned the pole.

Loved this track back when they ran the Show Me 100 there.

Me too JimBo. The track prep was always spot on and the Gibsons were top notch promoters and people. One year at the Show Me I was hobbled up with a bum knee and Mrs. Gibson made the effort to give me rides in her cart whenever she saw me limping around the facility. You don't forget things like that and I'm still grateful.

I actually went to this race Monday night. My first visit to West Plains since 2009, and only my second dirt race in many years. Trying to maybe reconnect a bit with the Late Model and Modified scene as a fan. I sort of miss these events at times.

I thought the track was really good and provided some decent and enjoyable racing. There were only two classes running (LM and Mod) so that was a big reason i decided at the last minute to make the drive. Obviously Erb was the top of this field of cars, and Moyer Jr. had a great run for 2nd. Most of my time spent during the feature was watching the battle from 3rd through 12th or so. Lots of equal cars in those groups.

Moyer was in the field as well but struggled in his heat and had some sort of mechanical failure in the feature. Seeing smoke from the back of the 21 early in the 50 lapper and he pulled to the pits.

I stayed for the Mod feature as well later in the night because I was enjoying the racing.

There is another XR Workin Man event at West Plains in August leadin up to the Topless at Batesville. Two nights actually at West Plains and 10,000 winner each night. I think I heard Moyer Jr. say he collected 4,000 for second.

The chair seating at West Plains right now is horrible down toward turn 1 where I like to sit. The chairs are terribly weather brittle and many of them broken through and unstable. You have to find one still strong enough that your butt doesn't break through the plastic. The seating from turn 4 to the flagstand seemed ok and thats where most people sat. I like turn one though so had that area to myself.

I couldn't hear the announcer at all. Not even that great when the cars were just idling around the track. I wanted to connect some familiar names with the cars themselves. I hadn't been around these tracks for years so was currently unfamiliar with many cars but recognized a lot of names later in the finish order. A better sound system would have helped when they were announcing the lineups as the heats entered the track.

Warning to anyone who likes to have a couple beers during the dirt races: There are no beer sales at West Plains nowadays. Yes, a dirt track in Missouri without cold beer. That was a bit of a head scratcher but fortunately I had a few iced in a cooler in my truck for intermission.

I'll probably go back in August to West Plains if the temps aren't a 100 degrees.

I'm actually thinking about going to some of the Show Me 100 races over the next few days. Maybe tonight and Friday but likely not the 100 lapper Saturday. I don't care for large crowds much anymore.
    Last edited by HikerDan; 05-25-2023 at 09:22 AM.