Default RR chain limiter too tight

What kind of handling issues would you expect if your RR chain was too tight on a tacky/rough track? Could it cause the car to almost feel rigid on the RR on throttle and cause the car to bounce real bad?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowj38 View Post
    What kind of handling issues would you expect if your RR chain was too tight on a tacky/rough track? Could it cause the car to almost feel rigid on the RR on throttle and cause the car to bounce real bad?
    Yes, for sure. With a LM, for me it causes a bounce more on entry and not so much once on the gas.

Billet, I’m entering the corner on throttle. (About 1/2 throttle roughly) This seems to happen right as the car starts to rotate in. And then right as the RR scotches up and I’m able to start applying more throttle to exit the corner, is when it seem to be the worse. A few laps it felt like i was going to end up on my lid.

we had this happen once when we got too short on the LF chain and had a soft shock on RR, the car would get on RR too fast then when the chain would go tight and we picked up the throttle it'd fricken bounce like crazy.

Outlaw, my RR shock was my next thought. This car has the RR brake caliper mounted on the birdcage. I’ve never drove this kind of set up before. I’m wondering if it needs a stiffer compression shock than a caliper mounted on the rearend. In my mind, trying to visualize how the caliper on the birdcage works, I would think it keeps the RR loaded until I let off the brake and then there is a short time where the RR falls once I lift off the brake until the car contacts the spring again. I know this happens the same with the caliper on the rearend but I’m wondering if it’s not amplified with the caliper being on the birdcage due to the fact that more weight could potentially be in the process of transferring onto the RR but not letting the car come down because the brake is holding bar angle in the car. Then I lift off the brake and all the weight comes crashing down on the spring. (I hope that made sense. Kind of hard to put into words what my mind is thinking.) Wondering if this would require more compression to control the weight transfer. I’m currently on a 4c5r shock. Car is fairly tight so stiffer shock would help free entry anyways.

Our MB stuff used to run the RR caliper clamped to the birdcage. Ended up getting away from it and seemed to be much more stable.

RR caliper on the birdcage, while it can help in certain situations it can cause more problems then it helps.

When your on the brakes it's pushing down on the RR (obviously how much depends on the RR bar angles) so what happens is a ton of inconsistency depending how much brake your using. Then when you release the brakes it can loosens up so if you have to use the brakes differently or more/less from one lap to the other, it causes inconsistency.

Many times you may be turned fairly straight ahead with the front wheels while on the brake and when you release the brakes the car rotates more and you turn right to catch car and then you pick up the throttle and get into a push condition cause you turned the wheels right to catch that loose feeling.

Again it can work at some places really well, but I found it more trouble then its worth except for those few specific tracks.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 06-19-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Just saw you said RR comes crashing down. How much gap is there on the spring to coilover nut with rear end hanging on both sides? With the RR chain where you been running it?

Billet, I apologize, I’m not very good at explaining what I mean. My car is not crashing on the RR. My car actually feels like the RR is loaded up the whole way around the track and I believe it’s the caliper on the birdcage causing that. When I used the word “crashing” I was trying to explain how in my mind the RR would/could work with the caliper on the birdcage vs rearend housing. Crashing was a bad word to use. I was basically meaning the RR would come down off the bars quicker with the caliper on the birdcage because you’re already transferring weight to the RR when you release the brake. So there’s “more weight” loaded onto the RR as its coming down off the bars than there would be if the RR were to start compressing as soon as weoght was transferred onto it. (Caliper on the housing)

Billet, would it be possible for me to send you a video somehow so you can see how my car is acting?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowj38 View Post
    Billet, would it be possible for me to send you a video somehow so you can see how my car is acting?
    I'll PM you an email addy and number to text too