Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wvms

Default Wvms

Well this program has been quite the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) show so far.

I am all for nostalgia but today's late models were not designed to race on 5/8 mile tracks.

4 Cyl on a 5/8 mile track with 8 lap heats is an odd choice.

Why did they run all those heat races and then water the track? Couldn’t they run the late models instead of dragging the show along? Lucas has been allowing this kind of crap now for a while. I guess they have to help the track sell a hot dog. Ridiculous!

This is like streaming something from EAMS

If I am the owmer/Promoter of WVMS, I am flying to Davenport Iowa on Monday morning and taking measurements of Davenport Speedway and on Tuesday morning I would begin construction of the exact replica inside the massive 5/8ths track.

The key to Davenports success is the track "prep", Kay's do an excellent job! WVMS is a unique place especially the hillside seating, but that big of a track in today's world is a motor killer.

You could probably count all of the passes in the late models on 1 hand, 2 at the most for the whole night. And yes it was ridiculous how long they dragged the night out.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    If I am the owmer/Promoter of WVMS, I am flying to Davenport Iowa on Monday morning and taking measurements of Davenport Speedway and on Tuesday morning I would begin construction of the exact replica inside the massive 5/8ths track.
    Why go all the way to Iowa ? Bridgeport speedway in N. J. which used to be a 5/8 got shortened I believe 2 yrs ago. It's revitalized the place, racing has been excellent in both NE mods, big and small block and the sprint car guys put on a excellent show.

A 5/8 track with these cars being so air dependent , if anyone expected anything more than what took place it is never going to happen. Looked like they had a decent crowd, so as long as people show up it will be a sh1t show every time.

I thought when they were reopening WVMS that wouldve been the prime time to shorten it. Waaaay too big!

The kicker had to be the mod that went to fast into the infield after qualifying and hit the guardrail lol. He only had from the frontstretch to the middle of the back to slow down. He looked like someone's ex wife when she was pissed coming home is what the announcer said lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    I thought when they were reopening WVMS that wouldve been the prime time to shorten it. Waaaay too big!
    I think it was shorter when it had ran last. They restored the 5/8.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing last night, but most tracks out this way have never even heard of a disk or rotary harrow so even if they did make a smaller track there would never be a cushion and the track prep would still be horrible.

We also don’t have black dirt.

This race is too close to the DREAM and the track is too big put i at a 3/10 mile with banking say 16 degrees in the turns and 6 down the straights and keep it Wide and you would get around 40 to 50 cars for the race not 26 or 24.

My thoughts are that..1. a guy following cannot get close to the lead car because he will be blinded by the roost. 2. They can't get close because of aero on such a fast and flat track. 3. at those speeds, you better not have a soft spot because someone is going to go for a nasty ride so its hard to get a cushion to develop on that kind of track.

There were a couple moments last night where you could see a car get into the wake of the one in front and it immediately turned right, especially the Rocket house car. It seems like if they can get their car turned sideways just enough it alleviates the problem, but as soon as that nose gets in turbulence, it's over.

All I know is Ricky has them covered like JD did last year. He should easily win tonight if he doesn't break

Late models on a 1/2 mile or bigger are not a good product these days. Expect a bunch of follow the leader at eldora next weekend also. They have to fix the car aero rules or this sport will only produce good racing on shorter tracks.

They can’t prep this track safely. Dust laying everywhere, whoops and washboards down the straightaways. I don’t think the place will ever work but it’s definitely not gonna work without a lot of effort. I don’t there has been a lap turned on the place since this race last year, but they’ve cancelled like 8 races since. Don’t worry the promoter will be on Facebook soon back patting and talking down to drivers who didn’t support him